Where is the media on Sri Lanka? 70,000 killed!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jaycola, Jan 31, 2009.

1. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

It appears it is receiving coverage in Britain, but then at one time it was a territory. And you share some political history. Here in the States I seen no mention of it. But then very little besides the economy and the Super Bowl are receiving coverage right now.

2. odon

odon Slightly Popular

I really don't think that is what is motivating Sky news...a multi million pound global entity.

It is there though. I googled Fox NBC CNN and ABC - honest.
    I do appreciate your cyincal tone though.

3. gardener

Well about the only tv news I watch is local news at five pm, and it does have a brief world coverage segment. I do watch the Today show most mornings, but have seen no mention of it there. I get most of my world news on the internet these days.

4. odon

odon Slightly Popular

Strangely it was not high on my local news either.:rolleyes:
    Perhaps a better Today show would be - http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/default.stm

If this is your "Today Show" agenda...I'm not suprised Sri Lanka has not been mentioned.

Food & Wine
    Health
    Tech & Money
    Fashion & Beauty
    Entertainment
    Holiday Guide
    Video Player
    Makeover

5. gardener

Well I have a choice the Today Show or Good Morning America, before I go to work, and reception is better for the Today Show even with my shiny new converter box.

6. odon

odon Slightly Popular

I can't bare watching the sacharine TV news in the morning.
    So, I just switch on the radio instead.
    The other Today show is a little bit more substantive.
    I'm sure you could recieve it through your computer.
    I do hear your computer is from 1975 though.

7. gardener

1999 actually and still going strong. My biggest drawback is I can only afford dialup at 48.00 annual fee. Someday when my financial outlook is better I may upgrade both. But for now it can handle my needs, and I use it for graphic design. But then it was a custom build, and high end for it's time. No 600.00 Dell.

8. odon

odon Slightly Popular

Well, I was only 24 years out!
    It's been to long since I experinced dial up to appreciate the - I would imagine - low buffering speeds on the BBC website.

I tend to get my info online too.

9. Hiptastic

Hiptastic Unhedged

I can't stand TV news. Drives me nuts. Its like listening to the town crier or something, so archaic.

10. Aristartle

Aristartle Snow Falling on Cedars Lifetime Supporter

It's SuperBowl season.

11. mai

mai Member

I think the reason it doesn't get attention in the media is because it is not easily boxed into Good vs Evil , Rich vs Poor that the Israeli-Palestinian conflict evokes .
    It's not a conspiracy but human nature, people don't seem to care about thousand or millions of children dying unless they can identify emotionally with it.
    In the Middle East conflict many Westerners can easily take sides -they might believe in Israel's right to defect itself, or that the West is under attack by Islamist or that the Zionism entity is threatening to overtake the world etc..

In the Sri-Lanka conflict both sides are equally poor , none are colonial and both are equally cruel (though the last bit is true for the mid east conflict as well), so there is little emotional involvement which makes the story less "important"

12. polecat

polecat Weerd

That's a good point. It seems like people need to be able to pick sides. When they see news about these third world conflicts they say, oh that's a horrible situation. It's different when, as you said, things can be divided into good and evil. Palestine/Israel is a good example, but you can also look at the conflict in Georgia over the summer. That was a huge news story, and it's easy to see why. Big, strong, evil Russia invades small, democratic, America-friendly Georgia.