Where is the best place to meet gay people? (MERGED)

Discussion in 'Gay Polls' started by SageDreamer, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Star Cat

Star Cat Member

Right on.

I recently tried somewhere else where I could supposedly meet others who were gay, and I had only intended to make friends and nothing else unless I met them first, and yet ran into two weirdos who caused me trouble immediately off the bat. So I went, "Obviously, something's seriously wrong with this. If this has happened only within this short period of time then these guys are kooks," and quietly took my leave, scramming as quickly as I had joined, lol.

I only use the internet with extreme caution now.

2. Geneity

Geneity self-proclaimed advocate

I love meeting guys on the internet, chatting with them for awhile and then going to see them. That's how I met my first boyfriend and the time I spent with him is irreplaceable. We talked on the phone and all sort of stuff and immediately clicked. It was just luck, I can tell you that, but still amazing.

I've yet to go to any gay bars or bars in general, being under 21. Totally lame America with it's high drinking age. Organizations do not interest me. I want a fun, carefree, gay guy. Not one who's obsessed with gay rights and activism and things of the like. Politics are not for me =)

3. Nair

Nair Member

Well? Is there anywhere else, to search other than gay bars? And where do you find same sex partners, or even begin to look for them, when your atypical for your sex, both physically, and in personality, and your only attracted to other people who are atypical in a similar way?

Where do atypical males, seeking other atypical males go? By atypical, I don't mean merely homosexual, I mean having unusual attributes for someone who is a male. I am very atypical myself, and I am only attracted to atypical types, and haven't a clue where to look first.

Also since my form of homosexual attraction, is a bit unusual, it is hard to understand, and I don't know how to come out of the closet, when I know my sexual orientation will still be confusing, and enigmatic to some people. My parents will definitely be accepting, but I don't think they will understand the TYPE of homosexual attractions I have, it will always be a mystery to them, they can never understand.

I know this seems like a very short starting post. I'm definitely certain of my sexual orientation now, but I have no clue how to explain it, and my biggest problem is finding homosexual males I can relate to, since I am so atypical.

4. happyonehit420

happyonehit420 Member

you used the word atypical like a thousand times. in what way are you "atypical". like what separates you from other homosexual guys? if you explained how you're different, it would be a little easier to help you out.....i think.....

5. Nair

Nair Member

[​IMG]True. Atypical as in an unusual for a male.

Lets see, thin frail looking build, cries a lot more than the average male... To the shoulders or longer hair, lower than average sex drive, and likely a whole lot of razors, to keep off the facial, and body hair. I don't mind if it's not natural, I simply am commited to staying smooth, and thin myself, going to rather fanatical lengths at times, and I expect the same commitment in turn.

I'm a very androgynous male, and likewise I am only attracted to other androgynous males myself. Now vanity and such, isn't that rare amongst homosexuals, what is rare, is several personality traits I have.

Example of me with your typical guy, who just so happens to be gay he would likely say something like:"Umm... It's the fifth time you've been crying this week, your too timid, passive, and sensitive, cry way too much, don't have enough interest in sports, refuse to drink alcohol, I think your eyebrow plucking, and impractical hair is just weird, you have such a small build, it looks weak, and is unnattractive, your low sex drive would likely frustrate me, and no I wouldn't be comfortable with my own body, if I shared some of the physical attributes you find attractive".

I have a very feminine personality, for a male in other words, and I sometimes have a difficult time, finding others I can see eye to eye with. I can relate to some guys, but not the average type. I am very attracted to more androgynous guys, on the other hand I have such an unusual personality, for a male, that it is hard for me to relate to most guys in general.

I can still usually relate better with homosexual males, than heterosexual males, merely due to social based reasons, but even then I often have a challenge, finding someone else who is male, I can relate to, as far as personality goes.

6. mushie18

mushie18 Intergalactic

Your standards are kind of high...

But anyway, I've met people at college, through mutual friends, introducing myself, etc. It all comes down to you. I've never met a person in a club/bar. Not saying I wouldn't but I don't think it's too hard depending on your location.

7. gticharlie

gticharlie Member

Cruisingforsex.com

8. *Andy*

*Andy* Senior Member

TeH INTERWEBZ

9. SlickyPants

SlickyPants Member

Andy may have a point. I was wondering this same thing. It can be a real pain to meet other gay people. I joined an online gay community for the country that I live in and I was instantly bombarded with welcome messages from various users in my area (The site has a feature that shows who's online in your province). It kind of overwhelmed me. One guy even recognized me from high school. Another guy I was chatting with for a bit even invited me to meet up for coffee later this week. Anyway, I managed to find like 600 profiles in my city of a varying mix of people. I never joined looking for love though, just for friendships. But hey, if love happens, I'm not going to avoid it.

If you do meet people over the internet, use some common sense when it comes to your safety and don't be surprised if someone isn't who they say they are.

Samhain wrote up some general guidelines to follow if you aren't sure..
    http://www.hipforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238935

10. happyonehit420

happyonehit420 Member

you aren't really too terribly different from a few gay guys i've met before. I even see similarities between you and me. I'm incredibly thin, very feminine, and used to have really long hair. I'm not really that sensitive, it takes a LOT to make me cry, but that's just a conditioning of my childhood. But androgynous males in the gay world aren't that hard to find, really. I guess it just depends on where you live. Also, it sounds like you have really low self esteem. If anything, that would be the only thing some people find annoying. You really aren't the only one like you, there are tons of guys out there that are looking for your type, you just have to be able to be found. Keep yourself out in the open, someone's bound to come along.

11. mushie18

mushie18 Intergalactic

i hear www.manhunt.com works well.

I think that's more for sex though.

12. lostdazedintime

lostdazedintime Fucked in the head

cruise the locker room of your local YMCA.

I dont try to pick up guys in gay bars, they try to pick up me, I likes my man, he's ex cop and knows how to mess with people mmmmmmmm

13. calisouth

calisouth Member

14. joystick2

joystick2 Member

I used to meet men at local parks and adult threatres.

15. SelfControl

SelfControl Boned.

OK, if we're talking generally rather than just for sex:

Universities/univerisity towns.
    Gay districts (apparently)
    Bjork gigs

I mean, it's kind of a weird question in a way. Normally if you want to meet someone, there's a reason why you want to meet them, and the way/place that you meet them will largely be dictated by that as much as by their sexuality. If I want to meet someone for sex, I'll go somewhere different to if I just want someone to talk to.

But yeah, in my experience, the most rewarding "meetings" are the ones that happen by accident. Doesn't help much, but it's still true. When I meet someone out of the blue, rather than because I was looking for them, it's such a nice feeling, like you've "achieved" something.

That said, last couple of guys I've been with I came into contact with them on-line. Not on specifically gay sites though - I've met maybe three guys off Gaydar.co.uk in God knows how many years of using the site - but from forums like this one, or from them just getting in touch.

16. Spunky850CSi

Spunky850CSi Member

I prefer to meet gay people at the sauna.

17. nakedboy

nakedboy Member

gay bar, gay club or gay sauna is for me the meeting places for gay.
    and as a sexparty mixed gay and bi lisbiens I'm always there.
    I often then go with someone or I'll get someone to take home.
    I sleep with that person.

18. masada

masada Member

With the exception of one random encounter on the side of the road;and another unexpected turn of events at a rave, all my male hookups have been over the internet (squirt.org, chat-avenue, CL, etc.) Generally turns out well, but I'm sure there are better ways.

19. RandomVegan

RandomVegan Member

Rarely go to bars at all, in the new town I live in they have a once a month night for lesbians, I do go to that. But I spend more time at events organized by groups.

20. JimInPhila

JimInPhila Member

I'm one of those gay men who only appreciates hooking a straight guy. It used to be straight, corner, blue-collar bars.
    Now, it's the internet, e.i., CL. I'll respond to an ad, "MWM looking for....." That tells me what I'm dealing with to start.
    Once in awhile, I'll post, "Can't deepthroat....." That will get a response from the under 6" bunch, which is great for me
    because most gay guys can't get a man big enough (yuck, in my opinion, jmo).