Where & How do you live? City, Town or Country?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by Happy Art Girl, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Happy Art Girl

Happy Art Girl Member

Where do all the Hippes live today? Do you live in a field, a town, in the heart of a bustling city? Do you live in a commune, in a field, a van, a house, or flat? Do you flatshare with someone, or live on your own? Do you live with like-minded individuals, or not? How do you make that work for you?

And a question to any Urban Hippies: How do you manage living in a town / city? Do you live as green as you can? Do you create your own little corner of Utopia in your house, or even in your bedroom?

I imagine there will be many varied and interesting answers! (I hope!).

2. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

Most of the members on this site, myself included, are not real hippies.

I currently live in a small motel room where I have been stuck for a couple of years.

3. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

I don't know what a real hippie is.I certainly sympathise with the hippie ethos,my parents were hippies,and I don't really know what that makes me.Anyway I live in London UK,and just try and do my own thing.I would ideally like to live in a commune.I have lived in a therapeutic community for four years,during the mid to late nineties.In fact I left the community in 2000.It's something I've wanted to write about,but haven't as yet found the right opportunity.

4. Wolfman's Brother

Wolfman's Brother Member

moutain town,middle class family,we live quite green we recycle in the summer we grow our own food,...anyway life here is pretty good

5. KeithBC

KeithBC Member

Rural acreage. We used to live on an island where half the population were (real) hippies. It was kind of groovy, but the wife couldn't stand it. So now we are surrounded by rednecks. Aargh! But we'll be growing our own fruit and veggies, and we found an organic CSA where we get veggies that we don't grow. We have plans to add a solar hot water system.

6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I live in the woods...

7. dreadzyahhmann22

dreadzyahhmann22 Member

i wish in a commune...

8. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

I live on the largest of the ''thousand islands'' Ontario Canada........on a tiny farm....I grow some food and I have a dozen hens and a rooster,2 cats...and a teenager

its beautiful here once you get used to having your life revolve around the ferry schedule

9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I live in a rural area a couple of miles outside of a small town/suburb of a medium size city. I live with my little family. We have a garden and recycle/compost. I really want to get chickens and a dairy cow one day but we rent so its not really a possibility right now.

10. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Teenagers can be the most work of all the pets.

(Kidding. You make teens care for the pets.)

I'm currently living urban, with a limited garden and a hook up at the farmers market for the uglies.

I've lived urban commune/hippy house, I've lived rural.
    My favorite is small mountain town with regional bus transport to the larger city.
    So, from 1200 people to a city of 600k, but the region is 2.1 million.
    But my town was up canyon and isolated, off on the fringe.

Recycling in the modern sense, put it in the can and have it picked up, or drop off at a close by location is simpler in urban areas. Granted, I'm by Berkeley. But the same was true in Denver.
    Up on the mountain, a woman had a service where she'd come by on a set schedule, like trash pick up, and pick up recycling. For an extra fee, shed pick up the stuff for the dump. It was cheaper to take that myself.

On a different mountain, the place I stayed and worked was all DIY. Sme trash was burned, recycling taken three hours away to be recycled. Compost was used onsite, but drew bears.

To pay my bills, I've been a reporter, concert production worker bee, solar energy and food justice advocate and massage therapist. There is probably a book in that.

11. Happy Art Girl

Happy Art Girl Member

It sounds like you make the best of what you have. Personally I live urban in a small town. The council is pretty good for recycling most things, but not all. I have a nice front and back garden, we grow some of our own food, when the local wildlife don't help themselves to it first!

Maybe I should have worded it as the question is open to everyone on this site!

To live in a motel room for a couple of years sounds pretty unusual! I wouldn't have thought they'd let you stay that long, though I guess as long as you're paying, they might not mind that much!

Fairlight - You should write about your experiences, I am sure many people would love to read about it. Me included! :sunny:

ROLLINGALONG - Your home life sounds pretty peaceful and idyllic... until you mention the teenager! LOL! Must be strange living around a ferry schedule, but I guess you would get used to it.

Meliai - I can't imagine landlords being too keen on having a dairy cow and chickens in the back garden, but it would be amusing - especially if you said they are just family pets!