Where have all the hippies gone?

Discussion in 'Hip Arts and Culture' started by ~Zen~, Aug 16, 2021.

1. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

I am glad you got to a Rainbow gathering... must have changed your life for the better!

2. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

At three years old, I fell down the stairs and was in a coma for a week. The brain damage was extensive, and I was then abused by my parents for years, and almost died during puberty from all the brain damage. It would be another decade at least, before my hands would stop shaking all the time, and my brain started to work a bit better, and I had chronic PTSD and insomnia that prevented me from holding a job, other than manual labor that could tire me out enough for me to sleep. I didn't have a life before the Rainbow.

MeAgain and ~Zen~ like this.
  3. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

If humanity lived the lifestyle that Rosycheeks described as she recalls -----90 % of the world's problems would not exist. Scientific , medical and educational advances should / could be for the benefit of humanity and not for the enrichment of a few. After the chaos, maybe those left will regress in the ways that are so destructive to the only home we'll ever have.

( and if anyone doesn't think that an inevitable , horrendous period of world wide chaos and destruction is not in the cards---mores the pity.)

~Zen~ likes this.
  4. ~Zen~

I am glad you are here with us at least :)

5. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

6. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

When I was five years old I decided if there is a God, I'd spit in his face, and tell him I'm not amused at what he does for entertainment, throwing me into the deep end of the pool without so much as a floatation device. It required another fifty years, but I discovered it was my karma, and you have to be careful what you wish for. When I mastered the analog logic of the Tao Te Ching, mother nature told me to teach my philosophy, but I didn't have one, so I thought it best to make something up.

scratcho and ~Zen~ like this.
  7. themnax

themnax Senior Member

all that sex made lots of babies. having lots of babies turned them into plumbers, auto mechanics and 9 to 5 suits.

~Zen~ likes this.
  8. cohikr68

cohikr68 Members

Some of us remain in plain site disguised as normal folks...it's not the look for me....it's what's in your heart. The time that formed the person I am was the time I hung with flower children/hippies and looked at peace and justice as an alternative to the chaos, anger and hate. Not sure how well that all worked out looking at things today. But we carry on.

9. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

~Zen~ likes this.
  10. sandybrooke

sandybrooke Members

They grew up and became republicans!

11. GeorgeCarlinFan

GeorgeCarlinFan Members

When I last went to SF in 2016, I saw plenty of older ones.

12. Echtwelniet

Echtwelniet Members

Hippie is more feeling/mindset/lifestyle.......then a timestamp imo :D

Mzzls

13. BookOfOlives

BookOfOlives Members

My mom floated around the West Coast and briefly lived in a commune in California during the 80s, took LSD, got renamed Starshine, made love, kicked hornet nests...the whole nine yards. It would be inaccurate to say that she used to be a hippie because it is sewn into her very fabric. To this day she still makes her own quilts, worships fresh air, yells at cops and Proud Boys, and continues to kick the hornet's nest. She passed down her "damn hippie" ways to my brother and me, and now I'm here.

Her personality changes every ten years, but I think she will die as much as a hippie as she lived.

14. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

They survive in transitory enclaves of peace and enlightenment. Notable examples included Olympia Wa in the early 90s with TESC and its fleet of aging VW microbuses and free beach; Missoula Mt now isolated in a beautiful state surrounded by neofascists and predatory capitalists; Madison, WI; Eugene OR; Boulder, Colorado

scratcho likes this.
  15. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yup--Eugene. :) Come to the Country Fair ---some in disguise--some not.:D

16. nudistguyny

nudistguyny Senior Member

For me it wasn't when we married or brought a house. It started to disappear a couple of years after our second child was born. More hours at work. More responsibility, more bills . The sprite was still there. But life got in the way . Funny how that worked.

I became my parents over time.

scratcho likes this.
  17. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I’m glad we are no longer the big media deal.

I get to be authentic without certain looks (mine or others),expectations, or a lot of push back.

locally, it’s wooks that get trash talked, and hippies are seen as holdovers (older ones) or idealistic, unrealistic kids. Which…well… was how it was first wave and the neo wave of the 90s.

18. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

Are a few of us scattered around the ozarx far & wide.

~Zen~ likes this.
  19. ~Zen~

I have run into hippies everywhere I have been around the world. The spirit lives on.

wilsjane, Native Vee and granite45 like this.
  20. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I doubt that you wold recognise me as a hippy. I have never worn a tee shirt or a pair of sneakers in my entire life.
    I have managed odd shoes and odd socks a few times and I have ended up walking around London in bedroom slippers, the time that Jane took my shoes out of the car. Then she had the nerve to call me the idiot.
    Just remembered, I am not very fond of barbers shops, so I may qualify after all.

~Zen~ likes this.