Where can I find a cruelty free alt. to Heads and Shoulders???

Discussion in 'Consumer Advocacy' started by happykoala, Jan 18, 2005.

1. happykoala

happykoala Member

I love Head and shoulders shampoo.... but i hate the fact that its made by Proctor and Gamble!!! I've tried some of cruelty free shampoos but I can't find anything that works....any ideas where to look?? and my mom's real cheap when it comes to shampoo, so she won't buy anything really expensive, but i could buy it myself.

2. PhotoGra1

PhotoGra1 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

How about a generic? I doubt generic companies employ any cruelty tests...but I am only speculating, based on cost...

3. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

you're trying to get rid of dandruff, right?

try tea tree oil. put a bit of shampoo into your palm, add one drop of tto, swirl it around a little and wash your hair. it's worked for everyone i know who's tried it. just keep it out of your eyes! also, you might want to try to avoid shampoo's that contain sodium laurel sulphate as an ingredient...it's a sudsing agent and it can be really irritating to the scalp. your friendly neighbourhood health food store probably carries a cruelty free, sls free, tea tree oil shampoo that would work for you.

4. dweezil111

dweezil111 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Try Tom's of Maine. They are an all natural company that doesn't test on animals. If you don't have a store that carries it in your area try their web site. www.tomsofmaine.com

5. hayduke_lives5447

hayduke_lives5447 Sancho

Tom's of maine stuff rules.

6. Ariel SilverSpirit

Ariel SilverSpirit Member

there's many natural products, you can search for them online too, and many remedies you can make yourself if you have the right ingredients. There's a site called care2, they're an environmental and activist group, which has lots of ideas on using natural things, go to their healthy living channel, to the "Ask Annie" section, she has been using natural products for many years and has recepies that are simple, many are made of things we're all familiar with. Annie has published some books too. Her recepies include things for skin care, housecleaning, hair products, and healthy eating.

Sincerely, Ariel SilverSpirit

7. ophelia68977

ophelia68977 Member

yup, tea tree oil.

Also, washing your scalp with mouthwash is said to get rid of dandruff. So just use any cruelty-free mouthwash.
    :)

8. Hipmoon

Hipmoon Member

Actually tea tree oil causes more dryness and flakes. My recommendation would be to use milk thistle ( in liquid form). You can buy it from any natural health food place and you can use it topically or internally.

Tea Tree oil is a good thing for bruises, cuts and scrapes, but definitely not for dandruff or dry scalp. It's a drying agent and will only make those conditions worse.

9. nesta

nesta Banned

if herbal remedies don't work too well for you and you want something basically like head and shoulders, get any regular non animal tested shampoo of your choice (like the body shop or something) and find some chemical supplier selling selenium sulfide and mix it into the shampoo after figuring out what the right quantity would be (looking at a bottle of head and shoulders should tell you what percent of it is the active ingredient, i believe)

note that doing this takes some risks. only do it if you're willing to get some skin irritation as a result of improperly doing this. make sure your math is right....also, there may always be a chance that the selenium may react with something in the shampoo you use thats not in head and shoulders. i don't know, i'm not a chemist. but its just about the only way you could know that it wasn't tested on animals and still get the chemicals in it that will help treat dandruff.

10. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

smart, nesta! what we want is the active ingredient.

Also, try Natures Gate Tea tree-Rosemary

11. da420

da420 Banned

Animal cruelty by washing washing them with shampoo?

12. thespeez

thespeez Member

Go to any health food store or supermarket (i.e. Fresh Fields) and tea tree oil shampoo should be easy to find. Just remember that it may be more expensive than at a conventional supermarket. J/A/S/O/N and Nature's Gate offer such products.

13. DSLC

DSLC Member

I use diluted vinegar for dandruff - it works fine. Malt vinegar, cider vinegar, or wine vinegar - I don't think it matters. Massage it into your hair (massage, rather than simply pour it over your head; I think it will sting if it gets in to your eyes); leave it in for a while; then rinse it thoroughly (...I have read one person's suggestion that it's ok to leave it in - which mightn't do any harm, I'm not sure; although it might smell fairly strong ).
    Just a suggestion - it works for me. Some people might - for whatever reason - object to it. I think it works for most cases of dandruff as well.
    Hope that helps

14. ydnim

ydnim hiya

vo5 does not test on animals.