Where Are You Sports Fans?

Discussion in 'Sports TV' started by LoneDeranger, Mar 22, 2011.

1. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Watch allot of sports but #1 is basketball and The Denver Nuggets.

2. Geechee

Geechee Member

Good point. But don't you think that these athletes deserve the money (mainly football) ? After all, their putting their asses on the line for our entertainment. It may be just a game to us but it's their day job. I'm not a rich man by any stretch of the imagination but financial situations have NEVER stopped me from enjoying the thrill of competition.

3. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

They deserve whatever money their sport can legitimately generate- but the ever escalating costs of licensing and broadcast rights which are a major driving force in the continual spiking of cable and satellite subscription rates at a time when people are being forced to cut and make sacrifices reflects an industry that is very much out of touch with its audience- accepting the premise that the target audience is in fact the working class. Frankly I don't think it is.

Some of the sports franchises are owned by the same financial institutions that are helping loot the middle class out of existence. Why should I reward their business/entertainment venture by watching a single minute of their sports programming or buy one shred of merchandise that bears a licenses and copyrighted team logo.. so I can, for the outrageous mark-up wear a cheaply made tee shirt, furnish for them free advertising? I think not. I think general boycotts are very much in order- not only against professional sports but cable and satellite companies- deny the oligarchs the audience they covet- and do everything we can to ensure that they play and speak to an empty room.

The athletes are not putting their asses on the line for us- they are placing their bodies in peril for their billionaire bosses who sign their multimillion dollar paychecks. Meanwhile back at the "ranch"- I'm stuck doing work that was at one time divided among three people- but staffing cuts and numerous series of layoffs have me working more than twice as hard for the same pay- and there will be no raises... this has been assured. My costs for just living are going in one direction only- up... that included a recent across the board increase in my cable services. The decision to cut the television portion entirely out of my bill of fare made itself.

If the real economy (not the speculative investor driven one that is steadily eroding our way of life) can generated the billions that the athletes/agents demand then so be it but when the collective greed of what boils down to a high stakes business venture must creatively dig into middle class budgets to ensure high luxury for the elites then the system itself needs to be broken and reset- like a bone that has healed incorrectly. Once a legitimate stream of sustainable revenue is established then we can divide up the loot and determine who deserves what.

The greed will escalate unchecked until we collectively say, "enough"... we do this by simply turning it off. The obscene revenue needs of the industry's ever increasing appetite is used to justify jacking up basic services, not just the premium bundles... in a process eerily similar to the government's complete inability/refusal to limit its need for revenue at a time when the constituency is hurting financially.

Too bad we can't boycott the government just as easily.

4. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

End of 3rd quarter yesterday--Blazers 44--Mavericks 67. 23 points behind!!
    Blazers made one of the greatest comebacks in the history of the NBA.
    Result-Blazers 84--Mavs--82.
    Brandon Roy finally recovered from his knee surgery and scored 18 points in the 4th. Great game.

5. LoneDeranger

LoneDeranger Trying to pay attention.

Double-overtime thriller last night with the Habs/Bruins game. Great game. Too bad the wrong team won though....

6. Geechee

Geechee Member

So is your beef with the cable companies...?

Don't get me wrong man, I share the majority of your perspective. I bust my ass 6 days a week as a line cook to pay for my tuition and books while kids who aren't even going to go to class get a free ride because of a good jumpshot even though they don't give 2 shits about an education.

But don't think that sports are solely to blame for the disconnect between the "haves" and the "have-nots". And even then I think these problems have more to do with ownership and management than the actual players (for the most part). But hey, pro athletes dedicate their lives to their sport starting in their preteen years and sacrafice alot of experiences that "normal" kids get to have, and for their hard work I think they deserve the money...owners and gm's ...not so much. So I'm no exactly mad at them (athletes) for being rich, even if I think they are getting paid to much. That's just a part of the the world being "unfair".

And yes, I wish we could boycott the government or just overthrow it.

7. Meagle

Meagle Member

I like Football or soccer as you call it. ¡HALA MADRID!
    [​IMG]

8. -Yggdrasil-

-Yggdrasil- Einherjar

I follow Rugby League closely and Rugby Union.
    I like American sports for the spectator value but really can't get into Basketball and Baseball. I know they're 100x better to watch than Australia leagues but the sport itself isn't for me. That being said I think the NHL, NFL and most of the closed curcuit motorsport in the USA is fantastic. I'm always watching the ESPN and Speed channels.
    European motorsport tends to have too much politics for my liking and as for soccer, well.. i understand the strategic complexion and didn't mind a few games in the world cup but I can't really watch it for very long.
    I can watch lawn bowls no problems though. I love watching snooker too.

9. yahoohippegm

yahoohippegm Member

The only sport I like is poker.

:2thumbsup:

10. granny_longerhair

granny_longerhair Member

I'm a huge sports fan but I don't watch much TV these days. I prefer college sports to professional, although I really appreciate the level of skill the professionals have. I get how difficult it must be to play against Lebron or bat against some of the really good pitchers.

We used to have several baseball teams do their spring training where I live, but they've all left in recent years :(

11. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Big baseball and hockey fan here. I was at the world series last year. And get the package to see all the games in both sports.i watch football when the steelers are on or any big games. And i follow basketball but dont watch much anymore. I will play most anysport and i can get into other games if something catches my interest.

12. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I hardly come into the TV forums. I didn't know this place even existed.

Anyway, Celtics, Bruins and to a much lesser extent, the Patriots. Football is hard to sit through.

13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Tragic Denver Broncos fan here.
    Hostile NASCAR fan
    #1 fan of Jeff Gordon & Chase Elliot
    Ardent hater of the Raiders, Chargers and Chiefs..
    #1 Dale Earnhardt Jr. Hater

14. MthrNatrQn17

MthrNatrQn17 Members

Im all football.. My ex used to take me to baseball and hockey games but i just watch highlights of those more then anything.its better for me in person then on tv for those sports. but even though the new rules every year are making football seem lame to me, i still have to watch. Im the girl with a beer in her hand screaming at the players, or mostly the Refs! Minnesota Vikings fan from Jersey:)

15. Noserider

I also like Olympic sports and despite people competing in said sports all the time, I only marginally care during the Olympics.

16. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

MLB (St. Louis Cardinals) and college basketball (Kentucky Wildcats).

17. Noserider

OMG Gordon Hayward's injury was gruesome to watch.