When Was the First Time You Heard of LSD ?

Discussion in 'Ask The Old Hippies' started by ChinaCatSunflower67, Feb 5, 2020.

1. ChinaCatSunflower67

ChinaCatSunflower67 Member

How was it perceived among peers at the time? Did you know where it was being synthesized? Was the factual history of it generally known by the public, or was there mystery surrounding it?

DrRainbow and mysticblu21 like this.
  2. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

When I was at school some 60 odd years ago when the initials LSD was used as short-hand for Pounds, Shillings and Pence.

3. ChinaCatSunflower67

Sounds detrimental to the youth.

4. ChinaCatSunflower67

Sound advice. I wonder why it's not sold and regulated like pot or alcohol. Or even better, distributed clinically by a doc, in relation to mental health/addictions counselling. Too bad the law leaves kids to experiment with unknown substances. Thanks for the input, mystic.

Driftrue, scratcho and mysticblu21 like this.
  5. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

In the 60s when I was still a dumb ass drinker. Tried it in '68 when I was 28. Quit drinking immediately right after the first hit for years and years. I was not a good drunk. When it hit me that night, I found myself alone listening to In- a gadda da- vida. I realized that ---whoa--there is a little more to life than I had noticed!!

6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Latvian sex Disease

ChinaCatSunflower67 likes this.
  7. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I remember it was in an anti-drug pamphlet in elementary school categorized as a hallucinogen. It sounded like a plan... lmao. I had an interest in finding out because "acid". I thought that was cute. I then asked my first sex partner (ever) about it. I was sixteen, she was fifteen if I remember correctly. Her brother had a connection, but we didn't know where it was being synthesized; though I did get to tag along and learn where someone lived. The public weren't particularly aware that we were doing it. When they seemed to catch on to my antics (walking around high at the park or something) I'd get a stare that meant business! :) Then I'd know that I better go home and sober up. I wouldn't say there was mystery; just that there wasn't really an official position, or at least one wasn't presented.

scratcho and ChinaCatSunflower67 like this.
  8. ChinaCatSunflower67

THAT sounds detrimental to the youth :(

9. ChinaCatSunflower67

Mmm Innagaddavidda, it all connects at this point. Thanks for the input.

scratcho likes this.
  10. ChinaCatSunflower67

I can relate to this, I actually knew what acid was before the pamphlet was passed around, and remember thinking the information that was given as kinda bullshit, I grew up in a very catholic conservative education system. I had to try it myself yet though, and asked around till I found it. Thankfully my first experience was great, and strong. Melted into the floor, understood sound on a whole new level. Have had a few trips every now and then since, however the quality of the drug is unpredictable and often its not acid at all. I personally don't understand the stigma around it, and think it will go the way of pot eventually. (hopefully). Thanks for your 2 cents.

11. scratcho

Yeah--who knows what is put into anything these days when assholes use drano and other corrosives in some drugs. I know FOR SURE that the window pane I used was for REAL!

12. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

The song "Journey to the Center of Your Mind" played on the radio... Couldn't wait until I was able to do that.

(In-a-gadda-da vida, white rabbit...... etc. etc.)

ChinaCatSunflower67 and scratcho like this.
  13. scratcho

Yes, and --the Bob Dylan line--"something is happening Mr Jones and you don't know what it is," still holds true,IMO.

14. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I just remember it as pounds shillings and pence in the pre decimal UK currency.

It's origin is from the Latin words librae, solidī, dēnāriī

15. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

as far as i can remember, the first time i heard of it was when i asked my parents what the hell lucy in the sky with diamonds was supposed to mean.

i grew up in a little hick town, so other than the requirement of being drunk most of the time, drugs weren't really part of the culture at all and were rarely discussed. i never actually saw the stuff until college.

16. ChinaCatSunflower67

Ah yeah, a local radio DJ here starts off his show with that tune every time. love it.

17. ChinaCatSunflower67

Same, town of 600 growing up. I did experiment with mushrooms quite a bit before college however.

mysticblu21 likes this.
  18. Late 60's/early 70's. It was my drug of choice for a quite a while.

19. scratcho

A coincidence? I think not.

20. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I heard about Pink Floyd's original singer Syd Barrett going crazy from it, The Beatles Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds cryptic meaning and it being mentioned in D.A.R.E all around the same time.

The first time I was offered it was by the High School Prinicpal's son but I had not even smoked weed at that point, so I declined.

ChinaCatSunflower67 likes this.