when to take baby outside

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Tamee, Jun 20, 2006.

1. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

Yay! I'm so glad that you both enjoyed it. I'm sure she was sick of being cooped up in the house as much as you were. Sunshine makes you happy.

2. Tamee

Tamee naked

yeah. you know sometimes I would get the feeling that some of the causes of her being upset sometimes was that she wanted to be outside...

3. HippyFreek2004

HippyFreek2004 changed screen name

That's how Moire is....If we stay home all day, inside, she will fuss and cry ALL DAY until she falls asleep exhausted...But if we go somewhere, ANYWHERE, she is content...:)

4. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

I take my kids outside every day, always have since infancy, even if it's only for a couple minutes. My oldest was so severely jaundiced that she had to be rehospitalized after we went home from the hospital... When my second child was also mildly jaundiced, I started taking her outside for some sun I think it was the second day of her life. I've noticed several benefits from this. Biggest and most important to me is it seems to straighten out their days and nights if they play outside or at least get some sunlight during the day, and they sleep better at night. We all have very fair skin, and I started using sunblock long before six months of age (unscented and PABA-free, because it is the fragrance and the PABA that makes *my* skin hurt) because I am more afraid of cancer than I am of the sunblock itself. But, I don't use it unless we are planning to be outside more than an hour or two. My father, who my oldest daughter takes after in her skin, hair, and eye coloration, had skin cancer by the time he was my age. Funny, though, that my father and my oldest daughter, even with that red hair, have a darker complection than my younger daughter or I have, and never get/got sunburns either.

5. Tamee

Tamee naked

when Abryn was born she was a little jaundiced. my doctor told me to let her nap in front of an open window with her back facing the window so the sun wouldn't get in her eyes. something he said about the sun in her eyes also made me think she shouldn't go outside. I don't remember what it was. but now I think we'll start going outside every day to the little park down the road and then stroll around a little in the evening. I used the sling yesterday and it worked fine for awhile, but then she started sliding down and I ended up having to hold her the whole way. when we got to the park I made the sling smaller and it seemed so tight on her and it put her in a weird position to nurse. but she did it anyway and fell asleep til we got home. I just wonder if it'll hurt her to be in that weird position. i guess we'll just keep trying things out...

6. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

Ladies, I know those sunglasses look cute. But MOST of the Vitamin D babies need is absorbed from the skin AND the eyes. Use a hat, or even a cloth diaper to cover the baby's head, but leave her eyes free. Someone also said that the glasses cause problems with pupil dilation, and this is most likely true. Keep the glasses for funny pictures in the baby book and let the baby SEE and absorb this most needed hormone from the sun.

7. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

Those are cute pics, Kirsten.
    Tamee....glad you and Abryn had a good time at the park! I hope you start to feel less cooped up soon!

8. Tamee

Tamee naked

I agree. that sounds right. the eyelids provide enough coverage to cover the eyes from the little pain of bright sunlight while still letting enough sun in.

9. barefoot_kirstyn

barefoot_kirstyn belly flop

don't worry, we only use them as a toy, not for real and just for funny pictures. She's NEVER worn them outside.

10. barefoot_kirstyn

barefoot_kirstyn belly flop

tamee-that's great u got outta the house!!!!!!!!!!
    I remember a week after Leane was born, cody was going to take me to walmart and the college....I was soooooooooo excited! It even helped with the PPD. Being outside does so much!

11. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

:) I'm sure she look adorable. :)

12. Grim

Grim Wandering Wonderer

Babies are smelly, loud, and generally ugly - they should be kept indoors(and away from windows) for about ten to twelve years.

13. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

Maybe your thinking that is a sign from Mother Nature that you should never reproduce and spread your genes to the next generation.

14. Grim

Grim Wandering Wonderer

Meh, I tend to think people without a sense of humour are the ones who shouldn't be spawning babies [​IMG]