When to go hunting...

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms' started by elover, Mar 21, 2008.

1. elover

elover ritz with cheese

Theres 8 acres of woods directly behind my house. Theres old pine trees, decaying trees, creeks, a mulch trail (the mulch of ground up christmas trees) and hills with grass, and weeds. So I figure there has to be mushrooms somehwere in there, magic or not.

When would be the ideal time to go look? Someone said the day after it rains, on about a 70 degree day..? Whats the perfect weather that would lead to shrooms growing?

2. elover

elover ritz with cheese

......bump

3. RylyC

RylyC Member

A couple days after a rainfall when its nice and humid....BE VERY VERY CAREFUL many shrooms that grow wild could be filled with contaminants, it is much safer to grow your own.

4. undercooked

undercooked Member

You have to know what you're looking for before you know when and where to look.

5. elover

elover ritz with cheese

What do you mean I have to know what I'm looking for? I think I know what I'm doing, I was just going to go looking in the woods after the ideal weather, collect the mushrooms, do spore prints on them and other necessary things to ID them and start a thread on the shroomery asking for ID help.

6. undercooked

undercooked Member

Well you can just go pick every mushroom you find in the forest and post a picture of it on the internet, but don't you think you'd have an easier time if you looked up what actives grow in your area first? It's not like every active species grows at the same time of the year under the same conditions, so you might not even find anything whenever you go depending on where you live. Whereas, if you take two minutes to do a search on shroomery to see what even grows in your area, you'll improve your odds greatly, because then you can find out each species' growing season.

7. elover

elover ritz with cheese

I've read the stickies at the shroomery and the list about which mushrooms tend to grow in which state, I live in Missouri. I lurk on the shroomery, and I've done other research about indentifying mushrooms and things like that. I'm not going out there with no information under my belt.

8. Colimon

Colimon Cheesus Christo

Yes, I would say 'Go For It'! I would trust the experts on the Shroomery for that kind of information, but I'd also be extremely cautious.