When Stephen Colbert was said how it sounds

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by unfocusedanakin, Jan 14, 2019.

1. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Seems many people have forgotten the whole pronunciation of his last name was a joke when he had a show on Comedy Central. When he was on the Daily Show before that he was Stephen Col-bert said just how it sounds. He joked we was going to pronounce it in a French way to be exotic and since at the time there was "freedom fries" and a lot of French hate from the Republicans.

Bill O"Riley even had a segment on his show where he would "expose" this lie. I guess he did not get the joke. Today it's still pronounced in the French way. I guess it's like his stage name now.

2. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i don't think i knew his name when it was pronounced phonetically. i always kind of wondered if he was being serious or not with that pronunciation.

3. lode

lode Banned

I'm pretty sure that's wrong.

Gaysplosion - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (Video Clip) | Comedy Central

4. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Maybe I have that Bernstein Bear spelling thing where people remember the past differently. I swear he was Colbert phonetically.

5. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Nah, you're correct. I read an interview with him once, and he said pretty much what you said about how it started as a joke and then never stopped.

6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i don't know what this is about, but he's still telling it like it is.
    i've missed more then a decade of snl, so when i first stumbled across him on youtube, to me, it was like he materialized out of nowhere.
    almost the same for bill marr and samantha bee.