When I wash my dreads with just water

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by We_All_Shine_On, May 9, 2004.

1. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

they stink afterwards, like when I wave my head around I can smell them..... what should I do? I have shampoo, the K-boy shampooo bar, but sometimes I just like a qwik cleaning.

2. 18daydreamer

18daydreamer Member

:) hey

i use essential oils in my hair sometimes.they have allot of good scents and i always get compliments on smelling good =) hope this helps

3. sweetdreadlover

sweetdreadlover TattooedRainbowGurl

dr.bronners castille soap..make it your new best friend..trust me...they'll smell extremely fresh and you wont have stinky hair no more

4. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

blow dry the dreads, the smell if damp hair and it could also be mould forming especially if u use wax and products.

5. sweetdreadlover

sweetdreadlover TattooedRainbowGurl

welllll i found that blow drying them made them very thin so blow drying may not be the best thing in the world....sitting out in the sun with them though i found makes them smell really fresh:)

6. mick_jagger_is_so_hi

mick_jagger_is_so_hi Member

yup you gotta dry them thoroughly sis, otherwise they get all damp n mouldy and smell bad.
    Drying hair natraully is ALWAYS the best option no matter what your style your hair is in, so I'd go for drying it in the sunshine whenever possible. But if you don't have the time or the weather isn't too flash, the blowdryer is fine as long as you don't use it TOO often. :)

7. Ital Lightning

Ital Lightning Member

i agree with the dr. bronners soap, I use a mix of the tea tree and eucalyptus. I found blow drying makes them stink worse. Usually I ring them out real good then wrap a towel around my head for awhile, then I let them air dry, if they start to smell I put my tam on and the smell goes away. Also I just found that water with alot of clourine or other crap makes them smell, so now I rinse with pure water and I don't have much problem.

[​IMG] Jah Bless

8. ArtistofPeace

ArtistofPeace Senior Member

Hmm...the only problem I ever have with just quickly rinsing my dreads without soap is that it tends to make my hair really dry, which I hate. I dunno about the smelling part...but I'm guessing you've had your dreads for a while? Perhaps it could be mould...ewww...lol.....

9. serra

serra tentacle girl

umm just wondering about the essential oils? how do you use them in your hair? just put on a few drops all over, or what?

10. sarahstar

sarahstar Member

undiluted essential oils could be a little rough on your scalp. maybe add them to a little bit of jojoba oil and see how that works for you.

11. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

if you don't wave your head around, u won't smell them ;)

dunno... put something nice smelling in ur hair?

12. lola78

lola78 Member

you could use lavendar or tea tree oil directly on your hair. A lot of the citrus oils, and intense ones like eucalyptus and peppermint may be too much if they get directly on your scalp. I would make a spray bottle of filtered water, add the oils to the bottle and shake it up before your spray on your hair. Essential oils go a long way. You would need about 20 drops of oils per ounce of water.

13. gruvenmama420

gruvenmama420 *sweet sugga mama*

why does she keep bringing back old threads? the chica cut off her dreads, theres no point in responding now!