when eating veg is as bad for you as drinking soda

Discussion in 'Let Food Be Your Medicine' started by Samhain, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Samhain

Samhain Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/tayside_and_central/4969202.stm

Veg cooking linked to tooth decay

Dental erosion can lead to the need for expensive treatment
    Cooking vegetables in different ways could cut down on tooth decay, scientists have claimed.
    Certain methods of cooking them can make vegetables as acidic as fizzy drinks, according to a new study.

Researchers at Dundee's dental school made the discovery while experimenting with the vegetarian dish ratatouille.

They found that, compared with stewing, oven-roasting significantly increased the acidity of vegetables such as green peppers, aubergines and courgettes.

Dr Graham Chadwick, who led the study, said its findings could be used by dentists when advising patients on ways to fight dental erosion.

The problem is caused by the direct contact of acid with the teeth, which destroys tooth tissues - leading to the need for expensive dental treatment.

'Risk' to vegetarians

Dr Chadwick said: "The acidity of ratatouille prepared by oven-roasting is the same as that of some carbonated drinks that, when consumed in excess, are believed to contribute to the development of dental erosion."

The research, published in the European Journal of Prosthodontics and Restorative Dentistry, came following claims that vegetarians are at higher risk of dental erosion because of the large quantity of naturally acidic fruit and vegetables they eat.

The researchers also found the cooking method had no impact on the acidity of tomatoes or onions, but roasting resulted in more acidic aubergines, green peppers and courgettes.

Red peppers, they also discovered, were more acidic when stewed.

2. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

wow, interesting, nice article samhain

i started researching acid vs alkaline diet at one point, but with everything else that was going on, i didnt pursue it very far. from what i remember about acid/alkaline diet, it's important to eat a ratio of 80% veggies (the nonstarchy kinds) to 20% grains/proteins to maintain proper alkaline balance in the body. it's hard for the body to neutralize acids, and can lead to the degenerative diseases of aging, puts stress on the body, etc. also, eating veggies in their natural raw state is always going to give more nutritional benefits--vite c for example is destroyed by heat. and lacto-fermenting veggies can help release nutrients and counteract anti-nutrients in the food.

ps, i dont think that anyone would argue that even if the veggies are cooked and acidic that they're going to be a lot more nutritious than drinking soda!! :) phosphoric acid in soda leaches calcium right out of pple's bones. the article didnt say what kind of acid is formed when the veggies in their study were cooked. something to consider.....

3. honeyhannah

honeyhannah herbuhslovuh

That is interesting, but yes, in a way I think I knew that, but yes, eating veggies raw is so much better for you.

I however never bake anything, but I do wonder why baking as opposed to other cooking methods does this.

4. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Well I regularly bake vegies such as carrots, onions, pumpkin and potatoes ( really a tuber but I'll call it a veg). I don't take any notice of this acid/alkaline business as when I did biology at school I was taught that the pH of the human stomach is pH2. That Joe Espisto warns against eating meat as it "highly acidic". I have a pH probe and tested raw beef (pH6.5) raw chicken (pH7) raw fish (pH6.8) and orange juice (pH5). The last readding is 100 times stronger than pH6.For that matter pH4 is 100 times stronger than pH5 and so on. The whole idea seems quite irrelevant to me.

5. Avocado Noni

Avocado Noni Member

Alkaline acid simplified is: eat more green foods, and less of the other stuff.

Alkaline=cooling and relaxing and anti-inflammatory
    Acid=warming, not as relaxing, sometimes inflammatory

You can feel this too when you get really in tune with your body. Make 40 ounces of *fresh leafy green veggie juice and you feel calm and your body is just soaking up all these easily absorbed trace minerals it's been missing. It's a calming food that cools down all the inflammatory responses going on in the body from toxicity...which helps calm YOU down noticeably when you do enough of it.

How do you feel after fruit juice or soda? Stimulated by the sugar. How about fatty foods? They help keep you warm right??? Do we really want to be stimulated and really warm all the time? Probably not...hence alkaline foods... People want balanced lives, they just don't understand that diet effects consciousness, and it is the way to a balanced life.

Their a crucial part of a healthy diet, good fats and certain natural sugar to fuel your cells...but they should'nt be the entire diet, is all that the acid-alkaline people are saying. You gotta put some netural stuff in there like greens and green foods like spirulina...to keep things balanced.

What's the middle color of the rainbow? Green. What's the main mineral of our heart center? Magnesium..which is found where? In greens(and chocolate).

What kinda food do you usually find in nature? If you walk into the woods, do you find fields of berries and plum trees? Not likely...You find a bunch of green stuff... That should be a big part of our diet since that's what we evolved on..a whole lot of greens. It's a green planet, we should be in alignment with our planet. We didn't evolve on a lot of bananas or cantaloupes or seedless watermelons the size of my PC box...even though I eat all of these things and their a million times better than skittles or twinkies.

People get intimidated by acid alkaline...but its really quite simple. Everything alkaline is green...everything not alkaline is not green. Are acid foods bad? Not all of them. Is drinking soda every morning bad? I think that's obvious by now... Could we all benefit from more greens? Probably.

It's not something to worry about, and I dont think its a good dietary approach in theory..because it works by the philosophy of taking away acid foods, instead of adding in healthy foods and having fun. Taking things away from people is a bad energy. When you tell a human not to think of an elephant, whats the first thing they think of? An elephant. Dont eat cookies!!! Whats the first thing they want? Cookies. The more sucessfull approach says "Have you ever tried hemp seeds or goji berries before!?!? Or raw chocolate beans? It's the best food ever!!!" Add things in and don't stress your diet. Stress is just as bad as Mcdonalds food.

6. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

snipping from the middle of your post: minerals and chakras. this is interesting. can you elaborate more? are there nutrients that are aligned with other chakras?

awesome! this is a principle that i try to apply to every part of my life. (especially in parenting. i always try to teach my kiddo what i want him to do, not just what i dont want him to do. you cant do a dont...) people need the tools to develop healthy habits. thanks for your insight. :)