when do you change?

Discussion in 'Transexual and Transgender' started by Allonym, May 4, 2007.

1. Allonym

Allonym cheesecake slut

from being called a he to a she, or from she to he? i usually go by whatever the person requests, but at what point do you feel that change was/will be appropriate to you or was for those you know?

2. Innocent Angel

Innocent Angel Member

Appropriate to me? I've ALWAYS hated being referred to as a he, so that answers that question. For those i know, well luckily i dont really know anyone so i dont have to deal with that too often. Though getting letters and stuff addressed to me makes me want to ram my head through the nearest wall....

3. Adamness

Adamness Member

After coming out, I was pretty shy about correcting people on my pronouns at first, especially with my family and family friends. Eventually I got fed up and wrote everyone an open letter and gave it out to everyone close to me in which I basically put my foot down and said that I would no longer respond to female pronouns or to my birth name. It was, in my opinion, a great idea. It gave them all a chance to mull it over before having to respond, and I attached a list of informational resources so they could come to understand me more before trying to interact with me again.

When you put your foot down and precisely how you do it is completely your call. But you'll more than likely have to do it someday- it'll make you resent people even for making an honest mistake on your name and/or pronouns eventually.