When did you learn to sew?

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by Faerie, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I learned to sew when I was 40. I took a class at a local high school using a Swiss machine called Bernina.

I had two projects. The first was a pinafore. Sounds ridiculously easy... or ridiculous? It was made of 100% cotton and had lining. It had a chest pocket and two patch pockets (both with interfacing). I made bias tape and inserted it into the seams and hem. I took almost two hours to make the apron strings and the string that loops around the neck.

My second project was a pair of red drawstring pants. I learned how to use a tailor's ham. I also learned that the front of pants is different than the back. I learned what stride was, inseam, 5/8" seam allowance and how to work a bodkin and seam wripper.

I thought I would like to do it, but I realize that I don't. I'm good at ironing and at measuring. I can usually do a good job of pinning and basting. I split the work with a girlfriend of mine... she likes to cut and loves to sew things that have pushpins in them. Actually I think she likes to use the surger most of all.

2. HighBlueSkies

HighBlueSkies Member

My mom taught me how to sew when I was little, probably around age 7 or 8. I remember I would make extravagant (for an 8 year old) dresses for my barbie dolls out of red velvet and lace. Also, when I was a senior in high school I took a class called "life skills" which taught some sewing techniques. The neat part about the class was the fact that we got to use a serger AND an embroidery machine, which I've heard are expensive machines to acquire.

These days I don't do much sewing, though.

3. Faerie

Faerie Peachy

Beadfairy those are great hats!!!!