When did you learn to sew?

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by Faerie, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Faerie

Faerie Peachy

I was just wondering when everyone learned to sew? And From who?

I learned probably at about 6... Hand sewing of course... I used to make clothes for my cabbbage patch dolls... I started using a machine at about 11... My mom helped me out.. But most everything i know was self taught.

2. plainjanepatchwork

plainjanepatchwork Member

My mom showed me how to use her machine when I was 19. About a week later I bought my own sewing machine at a garage sale for $20. After that I couldn't stop sewing and basically taught myself everything I know. I started off making clothing for myself and friends. I had just had my son and I really needed a creative outlet. My life became all about Zeke and I needed to do something for myself at that point to keep my sanity. No sleep can drive you a little bonkers ;)

3. kiss_the_sky

kiss_the_sky Member

I am learning it right now :). My mom is helping me, she's really good at it, so I'm really glad she can show me. I do remember one event though, when I was six. My grandmy had bought a new machine but she didn't know how to use it, and I explained it to her, though I had never sewed before. That was kind of funny.

4. peacelovebarefeet

peacelovebarefeet BuRniN oNe...

never... i wish i did.. im gunna make my mom show me...

5. crystalstarr

crystalstarr Word

when i was 5 my grandmother showed me how to hand sew.. did it off and on for years didnt learn to sew with machine tell i was 23 i went to go live with her and she showed me how. My first project on the sewing machine was a long flowy patchwork skirt. Still have it, it kicked ass!

6. TheLizardQueen

TheLizardQueen horny for knowledge

I learned last summer when i starting getting into reconstructing old tees. I bought a book at a used book store for $3, but my mom is giving me a crash course to further teach me.

7. Acorn

Acorn Member

i dont remember. i know i hand sewed when i was little for a long time and made some not so great clothes for my dolls. then my mom tought me how to use a machine in about 5th grade. and in 8th grade we had a whole class on sewing and we made pajama pants. i got a old 50s sewing maching two summers ago from goodwill, its really cool.

8. sweetersappe

sweetersappe Member

My mom taught me how to sew on buttons and patches when I was pretty young, maybe about 8. But, I wasn't too interested in sewing until I was a lot older. I started hand sewing some little dresses for my daughter a couple of years ago. My husband gave me a sewing machine for Christmas when I was 24 and I had never used one before. I just read the manual and learned by trial and error. Mostly error :) Now I sew a lot. I make clothes for myself and my daughter. I really enjoy it.

9. letstakeourtime

letstakeourtime Member

I was always in ballet so ever since I was about 8 I sewed the elastic on to my shoes and when I was 10 i started to sew the ribbion onto my pointe shoes then when i was 12 I always helped make our costumes adding sequins and what not

10. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

When I was 4.. I do not use the skill though.

11. purplemoonbeams

purplemoonbeams Member

When I was between 4 and 6. The only things I remember making were bean bags and a wallet for my mom's friend's birthday.
    Then I was tought to sew on the machine at age 14.
    I sew, I knit, I crochet, I cross-stitch, I embroider.

12. Myranya

Myranya Slytherin Girl

I learned a little at school, think I was maybe eight or so? We made some clothes for our dolls and such. I never really learned to use a machine, I can do a simple seam with one but I rarely do 'cause I take so long to figure out how it worked again, I basically do everything by hand.

13. Applespark

Applespark Ingredients:*Sugar*

When I was little I would make clothes for my minnie mouse and do some sewing on the machine with my mom watching me...I would cut socks to make swimsuits for my stuffed animals.

14. FallenFairy

FallenFairy Senior Member

I first leanred how to sew by hand when I was 5 yrs old. I started to makes clothes for my dolls and gradually I started to repair clothing by the age of 8 then for my 10th birthday I was given a really nice sewing machine and I started to make clothes for myself. The only thing that really sux right now is I left my sewing machine and all of my patterns when I had moved and now I dont even have a needle and thread to keep me busy. GRRRRRRRRRR

15. thebeadfairy

thebeadfairy Member

Hi Everyone
    I learned to sew about 6 years ago. I taught myself to sew on a sewing machines My first creations were awful but after practicing alot, I got the hang of it. I bought the Threads for heads book from a friend and I learned alot from the stitchin bitches. I work for a hat company now as a seamstress. I like sewing and do it everyday. My passion is lampworking and sculpting ceramic beads but sewing pays the bills. Here are pics of my hats.
    Tara
    Have a sweet day
    Unique Creations & Wearable art Glass
    GlAsSnHaTs

16. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

nice hats

welcome to the forums :D

17. MaryJeanne

MaryJeanne Member

i learned to sew when i was 7 i think.... cant remember, but me and my bestest friend alyssa would sew all the time when we were like 9 and make our own clothes and even wear them to school. the cliques started at that age too, so we were known as the weird girls... kinda like romy and michelles high school reunion. i just finally got my own sewing machine so i can sew up a storm whenever now.
    peace and love
    keep on sewing mamas and papas!!!

18. t-dub

t-dub Pass me the pepper

first grade... i made a cat pillow and an apron... but i give credit to my great grandmother... she taught me everything i know today!
    crochet, sewing, quilting, embroidery, although i learned as i grew older through trial and error.
    i treasure this knowledge, and will pass it down to my children someday.

19. lucyinthesky

lucyinthesky Tie Dyed Soul

those are AWESOME!!!!!!!!! i love em!!! :)

i learned to sew probably when i was like 8 or 9, and i made these horribly lame satin pillows for everyone in my family for christmas, and drew on them with fabric paint. I get so embarassed.....everyone still pulls them out for christmas every year :& i even made one for Santa, and then a couple years ago i found it hiding in a box with all my letters to him. taha

20. granola.kiss

granola.kiss Member

I've always sewn a little bit by hand. A few years ago I got into sewing patchwork by hand, but it took forever, so for my 21st birthday I got a machine & I've taught myself everything I know.

xoxo
    cortnee