When Did Shyness Become Social Anxiety Disorder?

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by Fueled by Coffee, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I don't know about aderall, but I know Ritalin often has a different effect on people without ADHD than those for which it is prescribed for (those with ADHD). So I wouldn't rule out the possibility the aderall impacted your friends differently just because they don't have ADHD.

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Some areas of the states are just full of rude people where this type of behavior is common.

3. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

When I was around 5 I was prescribed ritalin, due to "behavioral problems" at school that was diagnosed as ADHD. Apparently, it made things ALOT worse so they took me off of that shit after about a week maybe.

Of course I've done ritalin since then recreationally and it just felt like a stimulant (which is what it is of course). I don't think it really matters if a person has ADHD or not, amphetamines can make anyone more productive, or be able to "get shit done" just because they decrease fatigue, but I find that they make my mind go off on tangents, that is they don't really seem to increase my actual cognitive abilities (actually, in some cases I've noticed a deleterious effect here when I was a user), rather they just give me an extra motivational push.

I can focus best when I'm calm, not sleep deprived, and in a good mood. Amphetamines don't make me calm, and that's a key component here. When I have a lot of anxiety and stress I find it hard to pay attention because my mind starts thinking about the things that are stressing me out. Being pissed off usually doesn't help either, but there's been a few times that I've actually been able to channel being pissed off into a lot of intellectual productivity ... need to figure out how to master that trick.

4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I get it. It gives me anxiety too. The simple act of going into a store period gives me anxiety. Unless there is self check out. Im a huge fan of self check out. Its weird though, i dont really come across as an anxious or shy person. I'm perfectly capable of having a pleasant conversation with the cashier - from my past experience working customer service i know i'm actually friendlier than the average customer. I just get intense anxiety walking up to a cashier and while outwardly i appear friendly and composed inside i really hate every moment of the interaction

1 person likes this.
  5. abarambling

abarambling Banned

Like I said in another thread about... I forgot what it was about, but the discussion of extraversion and introversion was pointed out, and like I said in that thread I call BS. I gave several reasons why I think it's a BS way of approaching the human psych when it comes to socialization. One being that it makes people think that someone else, or themselves have a mental disorder, or just are 'off"... just becuase they rather be with someone than be alone, or rather be alone than with someone. I like to believe that the mental health system isn't so inadaquate that it would diagnose someone with a mental disorder just because they happen to want to be around people or happen to not want to be around people. I just have more faith in the system than that. Maybe it's because I used to major in social work. I just don't see any mental health professional diagnosing someone with any social anixety disorder just becuase they happen to want to be with people, or visa versa. Yes, they will always diagnose you with something, but I just don't believe it would be a social disorder. Regardless of that, this notion that "Something is wrong with me becuase I'm not like my friend" goes on in a lot of people's heads becuase they happen to want to be with people, or visa versa. So, wheather they get diagnosed with a social disorder, or not... it's still something that weighs heavy on many people's psychosocial development. I blame extraversion and introversion for that. I also blame people who like to play doctor, putting other people down because they happen to want to be around people, or don't want to be around people. Go tweet yourself, with that bull

As for me, honestly I don't know if I'm shy or not. I change, depending on the situation. Also, I imitate people, so I can be accepted, in order to go under the radar. I have been told I have weird mannerisms, and defense mechanisms. Not that there is a connection between shyness and weird mannerisms, defense mechanisms. Not saying that at all. I'm just making a point that I may or may not have a social or personality disorder. I have no idea. I never got tested.

6. AceK

introversion vs extroversion is just one facet of a person's personality, and has nothing to do with any sort of mental disorder. Some people like to talk a lot, some people get annoyed at people that like to talk a lot. Some people like me like to talk a lot, but only if its something I'm highly interested in, if its something I couldn't give a damn about I will most likely remain quiet, and be bored.

7. abarambling

abarambling Banned

I type more than I talk. Not sure if that makes me outgoing or shy, extrovert or introvert. I song concern myself with such things, anyways.

8. AceK

this site has a test, and explains what the different personality types mean (though there are better tests and better explanations out there), though I always get INTJ (a rare breed) on any of them, including one I took at college. My percentages (how tilted you are towards one or the other) aren't always exactly the same (because I don't answer EXACTLY the same on every test, every time), but I always get INTJ on all of them that test for these metrics. I'm always pretty high in N and T.

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp

none of this has anything to do with shyness, social anxiety, or any other types of mental/personality disorders though. there's probably tests for stuff like that, but generally something isn't a disorder unless it causes a person distress, or otherwise interferes with a persons life. of course everyone is stressed out and has anxiety that is usually pretty distressing lol, that doesn't mean we all have anxiety disorders ... life is just stressful unfortunately. I do probably have some anxiety issues, but its less about social anxiety and more about situations that I cannot control or predict, but the more stressed out I am the more anxiety I have. also the less sleep I get the more stressed out I get (and sometimes the reason for less sleep is due to stress, or the things that cause stress etc), and the more anxious.

9. abarambling

abarambling Banned

I'm going to take a nap. I'll take the test later, when I get home, or tomorrow, and post the results.

10. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I am an INFP.

1 person likes this.
  11. secret_thinker

secret_thinker Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

INFJ

12. Meliai

Meliai Banned

So like me but more judgemental ;)

13. secret_thinker

secret_thinker Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Probably. Judging of things is human nature though. I try to keep it in check and understand others point of view.

2 people like this.
  14. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

ENFP
    Extravert(38%) iNtuitive(19%) Feeling(9%) Perceiving(28%)
    • You have moderate preference of Extraversion over Introversion (38%)
    • You have slight preference of Intuition over Sensing (19%)
    • You have slight preference of Feeling over Thinking (9%)
    • You have moderate preference of Perceiving over Judging (28%)
    Interesting. Typically I'm not a fan of surveys like this, but this one seems fairly accurate. I love being around people and socializing, but only when I'm in the right mind set. Some of the time I can have a difficult time warming up to new people though.

15. quark

quark Parts Unknown

INTJ
    Introvert(47%) iNtuitive(53%) Thinking(34%) Judging(22%)
    • You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (47%)
    • You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (53%)
    • You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (34%)
    • You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (22%)

2 people like this.
  16. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I have taken it before and got ENFP. I alternate between extroversion and introversion at various points in my life.

The description of an INFP is kind of eerie how well it describes my personality though

17. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i've taken that thing several times. i can never remember what i got. i know i always have a strong I, then i think i end up with a moderate S, moderate T, and i think my J and P might alternate depending on my mood at the time.

18. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Yeah that's the downside about these surveys. We can get different results based on our current mood and a series of recent events that affect the way we answer each question. I'd say mine is rather accurate though. However these last few months I've been a recluse to the outside world due to stresses I've dealt with. So if I took the survey again based on the stuff from the past 6 months, I'd probably score pretty high for introversion. Then I realize that I'm the type of person who feeds off the positive vibes from other people, and it makes me happier to be extroverted.

1 person likes this.
  19. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I'm a hermit...

20. AceK

There's no point in posting my percentages in each category because they vary, I always get the same thing though .. INTJ. Out of the many times I've taken this type of test though (probably 20+ in various places other than that one website), I always get the strongest percent preference in the N and T (compared to I, and J).

the word "judging" sounds kinda bad, but if you read about what these things really mean, it doesn't really mean what some might think ...