When Coming Out Is Not Necessary?

Discussion in 'Coming Out and Confused!' started by Jimbee68, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

I have known I was gay at least since age 12 (before then, I was rather bi-ish, I guess). And I wonder if I should come out to my family.

Some of them are moral conservative, some not at all. My cousin is a fiscal conservative, we say (whatever that means). And I suspect they already know I am gay.

Therein lies the problem. If I brought up directly, I would have to discuss it openly for them. And I don't know if I really want to do that.

But they already know. So what's the difference?

:guitarist: [​IMG]

2. John1234567

John1234567 Members

Why bother? Not all hetero people declare. Life is too short

1 person likes this.
  3. KewlDewd66

KewlDewd66 Member

I see absolutely no reason for you to take any action here. They are not stopping you from living your life. You expect no additional benefit for you coming your way from the hypothetical coming out. So, why go there at all.

I have grown to believe that the coming up has now become a largely antiquated political concept which was very useful in the days when the GLTB folks battles for legal equality, wanted to promote the passage of anti-discriminatory laws, etc.

Unless you happen to be an activist who may use his coming out as an event in your struggle for the right cause, I'd just go on living on my life remembering that very, very few people really care or even have any legit interest in knowing what floats your boat...

KD

1 person likes this.
  4. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

On the one hand people may well already know or 'sorta know' which is great in a way.....that being, most people who are gay and are having relationships etc like to be open about their sexuality (in much the same way straight people do) because, well I suppose it's human nature to want to share and be open with people (to some degree).

Of course, you tell could them implicitly like: hey, I've started seeing this guy called Steve and he's great etc.

Your call really matey.

5. IAmMaxieHearMeRoar

IAmMaxieHearMeRoar Maxie Lee Courtland-Colton

Whatever you want to do. However, I think bringing it up, even causally, might be a good idea at some point