Wheel Of Time, Robert Jordan

Discussion in 'Fantasy Books' started by Persrev, May 19, 2006.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Oh man, that's too bad... :(

2. Bleumana

Bleumana Member

sorry to hear he passed. i suppose the series will have no ending now. so sad.

3. kyndmama

kyndmama Member

I'm on my 4th book, love love love the series. What an amazing writer he was, unfortunate loss for sure :(

4. lostboundaries

lostboundaries Member

yes i have its a great series ive read it through only once im waitng for the new one to come out before i go through it a again

5. thomson91

thomson91 Member

yeah, jordan died in September. I've only read up to the 5th book. Excellent series.

6. xCorkiex

xCorkiex Member

Ya Robert Jordan dies Sept 16.th 07.

Terry Goodkind is nothing on Jordan, Goodkind gets most of his antogonists and plot from Jordan. There is supposed to be 12 books in WoT and the last will be published Fall of 09, Brandon Sanderson will be completing it. Jordan was reported to be more than half way done and the last chapter finished.

7. elayne

elayne no longer available

Yayyy! Thanks for the heads up, I will be anxiously awaiting! :)

8. POVExdeath

POVExdeath Member

I'm currently in the 3rd book for this series, "The Dragon Reborn". I was one of the people who started reading fantasy books with The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings, then I moved to reading Harry Potter for the most part.

To me, Robert Jordan blatantly copied Tolkien. But, also, Tolkien didn't do a good job creating his "world". In his books he barely mentioned anything about the day-to-day lives of anyone besides hobbits (and then only including the beginning of The Hobbit and the beginning to The Fellowship of the Ring). He also never created a world full of culture. Robert Jordan did a much better job of creating a more in-depth world. Many different cultures are shown, as are many levels of those cultures. I also think he did a better job of character development than Tolkien.

The books do feel slower paced though, because of all the dialogue. But, I also find the action scenes and plot twists to be VERY exciting. The only repetition I find is if you're reading fairly fast and you start a new book after reading a couple. Jordan felt it necessary to explain most things fully at least once in every book, so you'll be going through redundant passages from time to time. I think he meant to do this so anyone could pick up any of his books and still be able to read it. I still think its worth it to read them though; I'm planning on reading the 11 that are out between now and Late 2009 when the last book comes out. I'm in the middle of book 3 right now.

9. ladydragon282

ladydragon282 Member

If any of you are curious about Brandon Sanderson, the author that was chosen to finish this series, he has three of his own books out right now, one book that is being given to the public free as he writes it, and a website of his own. His, without question, one of my favorite authors, and is very approachable and fan friendly.

His published works are, in order, Elantris, Mistborn, and The Well of Ascension, which is the second in the Mistborn series. There will be three, The Hero of Ages being the third which is due out in October this year, I believe.

His magic systems are unique, his characters are believable and his story will draw you in. His endings have a tendency to be an avalanche kind of thing, but well worth it. Nothing gets short changed in the telling, but it does move quickly. I find it very difficult to put one of his books down if I am past the halfway point.

His online book is called Warbreaker, and is still in rough form. He is on the fourth draft of it, and has had it available since the first so that we could see the edits, the progression, and changes that he has made to it. It is a fascinating thing to be allowed into the writing process, and if I had any imagination whatsoever, for writing that is, I would be inspired. Unfortunately, I do very well at visualizing other people's descriptions than thinking of my own. It makes reading very enjoyable, but trying to write is incredibly frustrating, so I just don't do it.

I personally haven't read the Robert Jordan series, I have a thing about starting a series that isn't finished, however, Brandon has changed that for me. I do intend to read it, and had intended to before his passing. I had just heard too many good things about it not to. But, finances being what they are, finding the books used, and in good condition, in order....well, to say the least, it is a challenge. :)

10. Jimmy P

Jimmy P bastion of awesomeness

ladydragon, your post has made me much more positive towards the last book of the series. I started reading the wheel of time when I was 15, and have loved every moment, especially once the plot started coming together.

it might be because I started reading and loving these books when I was quite young, but I find myself very uncriticizing of Jordan's work. the world is amazing, I love the characters - although upon reading this thread, I agree that they are somewhat unbelievable. too perfect in their own way, and too firmly defined perhaps. but I love pretty much everything about the wheel of time.

11. ladydragon282

ladydragon282 Member

I am glad it helped to put your mind at ease, but if you want to be even more firmly convinced that Brandon is "the guy", so to speak, you should check out some of his work. Many of Mr. Jordan's fans have begun to do that, just to familiarize themselves with Brandon and his writing style. The responses I have seen from them have been positive. :)

12. UnnamedGrower

UnnamedGrower Member

This by far the best fantasy series out there. I read so much and mostly sci fi and fantasy. Robert jordan is the shit. So sorry he has died. I am still waiting for the 12th book to come out in paperback. Sometime next month. I have read this series 3-4 times begining to end. Such an amazing story. With real live characters. What I mean by that is that the characters are believable. I am hoping brandon did a good job of the last book or im going to revolt and burn down Tor publishing.

Thats my story and im sticking to it

13. chordcat

chordcat Member

I am just starting this series tonight actually...I am optimistic and have read many a great reviews. So I'm fairly excited.