Wheat Belly!

Discussion in 'Let Food Be Your Medicine' started by nimh, Oct 21, 2011.

1. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

I'm reading this right now and love it. :) I havent been able to eat gluten for ages, and Wheat Belly is great validation for me.

2. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Ever tried essene bread?

3. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

My husband just went gluten free after being plagued with stomach issues for several years.

4. Just_Dave

Just_Dave Member

Just recently finished this book. A very good read. It inspired me to go gluten-free. I've been so for about 2 months now and I'm definitely getting leaner.

5. skip

skip Founder Administrator

I just read an article about how to overcome gluten allergies.

They suggested dividing every meal into two parts. Proteins and vegetables.

You eat your proteins first without any liquids. You wait 30 minutes. Then you eat your veggies in a normal fashion. Sounds like a hassle but it worked for someone with a serious gluten allergy.

Since you read a book, you probably know how gluten allergies work. Your immune system reacts to any proteins that enter your blood thru your gut. The only reason they do that is because they haven't been properly digested. The proteins are considered to be alien invaders like bacteria in your system and are treated as such.

And what's worse, with gluten, the protein that crosses into your blood looks identical to your Thyroid gland. So your immune system not only attacks the gluten proteins but also your Thyroid, and it can destroy your thyroid over time.

You can also take enzymes that will help you digest all proteins. This has helped me with my egg allergy which I never realized I had until recently. I also take anti-histamine to prevent the allergic reaction (I need it for other allergies anyway).

I hope that helps you folks. You should at least try these things.

BTW, I take a vitamin/mineral tablet each day that contains lots of enzymes that ppl over 50 need because the body stops producing them in the quantity it used to.

So if you're like me, an old hippie, you should consider these tips.

6. MADwoman

MADwoman Member

All kinds of bad things are happening to us and our pets as our food sources are being changed so radically. The old methods of hand-selecting cultivars are being pushed aside in favor of gene manipulation. I think it's going to really bite us in the ass!

7. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Many people are allergic to egg whites but not egg yolks, so if want to make your cake in many cases you can simply double the number of eggs and just use the yolks. I know it might sound a bit wasteful.

Do these tablets contain co-enzyme Q10? These essentially do the opposite of taking statins - a medication I have no intention of ever taking.

8. FlowerMama

FlowerMama Member

I am stoked about reading it. I'm next in line after my mum finishes it.
    There's a local gluten-free seminar our organic store is offering and I'm very tempted to go check it out. :)

9. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I'd like to caution people from blaming gluten for the sins of carbohydrates.
    A gluten sensitivity or intolerance is different from an allergy (celiac).

I'm suggesting that if you bloat after bread, but not soy sauce, that you really look into what is going on, and not trust a book trend that is not all that different from Atkins. And boy, do we love dr Atkins in these parts (sarcastic).