What's Your Thoughts On This Advert?

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by morrow, Sep 20, 2017.

1. morrow

morrow Visitor

2. Personally, I think it was a stupid decision by the company. In a world where people feel the need to complain about anything and where our sensibilities have to be protected*, I see why it has been banned. I think that it is racist and no reasoning or excuse by the company will take away from the fact that it was a gross error of judgement on it's part.

* fuck knows why

1 person likes this.
  3. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

I think they should have thought it through more thoroughly. A lot of people might well be unaware that 'bet on black' is a roulette term. Although I've heard the expression before, I didn't immediately get the 'pun' until I read through.

Given the tensions that exist around the whole topic of race these days, a blunder.

4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

The black guy won though

5. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

I think they spent their ad money wisely because we/you are talking about it.....when I woke up I had no idea of this company.....in other words they got us...we are fish

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Indeed, seems like the campaign couldn't be more succesfull. It could be very well so that they DID thought it through thoroughly, and concluded if it gets blown out of proportion its all worth it. As has been shown in the past with similar advertising campaigns. World gone mad? Lol not so much (imho)

1 person likes this.
  7. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

Imagine if it had been "Always bet on white" instead. In my experience it is racist people who can't see that something like this is racist.

8. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I don't think it was racist in intent, but we are a long way from something like that being considered "good" taste.

If the advertising folks behind that ad didn't see how this was going to be considered offensive, then they were only kidding themselves.

That being said, we as humans need to lighten up.

1 person likes this.
  9. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

If getting people to talk about the ad was the goal I'd agree. But the aim is to get people to bet with that particular company - and maybe the controversy (if there is controversy outside HF) would actually put some people off.

1 person likes this.
  10. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

no doubt it is an off putting ad.....you wont see ''always bet on white'' that's for sure....

always bet on black bill blake to make a good point

1 person likes this.
  11. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

So are you saying that people complain too much about things that might be considered offensive by people of a sensitivie disposition?

12. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i like the part about only one being a boxer

but in my opinion the skin color comment is too much for mainstream publication use

13. The Walking Dickhead

For the record, I had my money on the black guy in the last Rocky film.

14. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

I work in publishing, and the ammount of checks we put literally fucking everything through before it goes to press, I'm just amazed that stuff like this makes it into widespread publication without anyone going "maybe this is a bad idea"

I don't think it's racist in intent, but it's just a bit daft, and since it has the capacity to cause offence, should have not been sent out.

1 person likes this.
  15. The Walking Dickhead

I used to work with publishers. I had my own system of thoroughly checking my own work, but it wasn't good enough. They still somehow managed to fuck it up and then find a way to blame me for their stupidity. I've only worked for two editors, but both were completely inept so this doesn't surprise me.

16. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

YES! This times a million. I'd be fired for something like this.

17. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I think it's a little insensitive to people of African or Afro-Caribbean heritage; anyone of color really. It's more like it reminds us that racism still is a problem rather than it being outright racism. I'm glad it was discontinued because such sentiments normalize thinking around the issues rather than addressing them.

In London specifically I didn't have the sense that people of color or Afro-Caribbean felt oppression or that they were necessarily marginalized or part of a lower class. But I didn't see all of London by any means; only Croydon and the touristy parts. So I don't know about there really. It may be that it's just different.

Here, I would say that ad perpetuates an attitude that I guess says "blacks are good at fighting" or something a little along those lines. Like "them sure are good fighters" sorta. I'm not making sense am I? Well I tried, Morrow. :)

18. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

I had an all-day meeting the other day about the significance of gender/race neutral vs. gender/race non-specific language in hypothetical scenarios in educational publishing. All day.

Over at Paddy Power they're farting out this kind of stuff.

God, that must be easy.

19. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

http://youtu.be/vpSR56oBDXw

Paddy Power acknowledged the promotion did refer to Mayweather's race but argued this was not done in a derogatory, distasteful or offensive way. The firm said the 'always bet on black' pun was a take on the fight being in Las Vegas and was also a famous line from the 1992 Wesley Snipes film Passenger 57, which they believed their customers would understand.

20. The Walking Dickhead

To be fair, from that picture they both look kind of different shades of orangey brown.