Whats your position on flag burning?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by cannabis cam, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Sounds like the bond was forged by such practices in your case. Not merely made apparent. It's similar to singing the national anthem in school. Guess who benefits from you bonding with national symbols? And that's why they can also be powerful tools in protests :)

2. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Well, you'll have to show me that in your constitution.
    You're talking about tradition, not law.

3. Scarecrow13

Scarecrow13 Members

Flag burning falls under freedom of Speech. The Court ruled on it in Johnson v. Texas and while they don't always get it right, they dd in that case.

Dude111 and MeAgain like this.
  4. It's wrong. If you're burning our flag, why are you still living here in this country?

Eric! and bluewatersurfer like this.
  5. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Because it guarantees free speech.

Dude111 and Scarecrow13 like this.
  6. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

I think this is a very personal thing. The greatest thing about that flag is that it represents an ideal that protects the freedom to burn the flag in the first place. Its protected speech. Yay 1st amendment.

But personally I find it disrespectful and dishonorable. Hate your leaders. Hate their policies. Question authority. Protest the socio political climate you disagree with. I get it. But to me the flag doesn't represent any of that. It represents the philosophy and values of the US. And those things, autonomy, individuality, democracy, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, should always be revered and cherished. But that's my personal view on it

7. And lots not forget the men and women who serve in the military, and most importantly, the men and women who died while protecting our democracy and freedoms that our flag represents..

8. Let's also remember that the flag represents greedy corporate fascism.

9. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

If you need to force people to respect it its not worth any respect.

Eric!, Asmodean and Scarecrow13 like this.
  10. It isn't free speech.
    It's disrespectful of somebody's country if you are burning their flag.
    It's unaustralian for an aussie to go and burn the aussie flag.
    Imagine if you tried to burn the american flag it would be unamerican and you would be letting your own country down.

Eric! likes this.
  11. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Respect is not automatic, it has to be EARNED !!!
    Thus if a Country/Government does something that affects that Respect, a person is entitled to show their disgust !!!

Eric!, Asmodean and Scarecrow13 like this.
  12. If you are living in a country that you don't like then you should leave.
    That's showing respect.
    What's showing disrespect will end with you getting banned from that country.

13. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The appropriate articles contained in the European Convention on Human Rights would tend to suggest differently.

14. Scarecrow13

Scarecrow13 Members

I don't care what Australians do/. I understand they don't have as strong a culture of free speech, perhaps they should fight more for that. If you aren't allowed to criticize your country then you aren't living in a free country.

15. Asmodean

A common mistake it seems. An American that burns his national flag in a protest does rarely dislike their own country. They simply dislike something in the current situation that they chose to protest in this particular way. Usually a government, societal or national authority or policy issue. They often do it out of love for their country.
    Telling people they should leave their country that they love because they see things differently seems just as silly and disrespectful. It definitely shows a lack of understanding.

Scarecrow13, Tyrsonswood and MeAgain like this.
  16. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

I'll never understand this mentality.

"My country is imperfect"

"Then leave!"

Or....stay and fix it like a true patriot.

Where would a country like the US be if our founding fathers were all "this place sucks. I'm out. I'm going to Mexico"

Scarecrow13 likes this.
  17. lode

lode Banned

Why don't you leave the country is a crazy response to this. There are a lot of tolitarian nation's which this wouldn't be allowed.

At it's very best, our country is one which supports all forms of non-violent civil disobedience, and when it isn't, it deserves the disrespect of having it's flag burned.

Scarecrow13 and MeAgain like this.
  18. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

When I lowered the flag at the county courthouse to half-mast , it remained so
    for a month . Very curious .

19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Actually Australia probably has a better culture for free speech than America tbh. You can literally say anything in Australia.

20. Asmodean

The word anything can be freely said in North Korea as well.

Tyrsonswood likes this.