Whats your position on flag burning?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by cannabis cam, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I don't think when the Constitution was written, drafted and signed, that anyone back then mentioned the mere thought of exercising thier freedoms, rights, liberties, etc. by burning the US flag. I'm sure if a person even joked about it back then, he would be taken out and hung from the highest tree.

2. Kerri

Kerri Members

But the current interpretation of the constitition by the process tne founding fathers put in place protects flag burning under first amendment rights. Regardless of what the original authors would have thought they set up tjw system that produced that ruling

Okiefreak likes this.
  3. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Here in the UK, union flag doormats became quite popular a few years ago and were seen as quite patriotic as being part of the entrance to our homes.
    Visitors from the US were often horrified at the thought of us wiping our boots on our countries flag.
    However burning or destroying our flag in public would be seen as a huge mark of disrespect and although not directly a crime, anyone doing it could be arrested for promoting racial hatred.

4. Kerri

Kerri Members

How’s does that qualify as racial hatred? UK is not a race

5. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

True, but most cases in the past have been from people of a different race and culture.
    I can never recall a case of flag burning being carried out by anyone from other European or American countries. Or any other of the many countries who share our culture.

6. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

I'm not sure they did lose. Look at the Republicans in Congress. Yes, I know, the "Solid South" used to be Democrat and anti-Lincoln, but that was then, this is now.
    The Rise of Southern Republicans — Earl Black, Merle Black | Harvard University Press
    How racism explains Republicans’ rise in the South
    How Republicans went from the party of Lincoln to the party of Trump, in 13 maps

Look at the Trumpian culture that has taken over our country, and how Southern values permeate it. (Yes I know, he's a New Yawker, but he knows suckers when he sees 'em.)
    Trump and the Racial Politics of the South
    How Trump Won: The South | RealClearPolitics!
    Why the South likes Donald Trump

Look at the Confederate mindset that governs the conservative/"libertarian" thinking of our pundits on Fox and in these forums.
    Fox anchor: Taking down confederate statues is "history being erased"
    News Hounds: Fox News Equates A Confederate Flag License Plate With One Espousing Family Values
    https://www.rawstory.com/2015/06/se...flags-if-you-can-buy-jay-z-albums-at-walmart/

Racist "Neo-Confederate" ideology is back. Neo-Confederate
    League of the South

Get out your Confederate dollars, the South has risen again!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

We're proud of our Dixie hooray hooray, we fight again this time we'll win we'll live we'll fight for Dixie

8. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I believe a lot of this backwards southern mentality stems from the poverty and utter destruction seen post Civil War. I really think parts of the south are still trying to recover from the Civil War, as odd as that may sound in 2017. If you've been through the rural south you probably know what I mean

So the south lost the war..then lost again during the reconstruction..and still continues to lose by electing people who work against their (our, I guess. But I dont vote for 'em) own best interest

Of course as a southerner I do feel the need to point out that political leanings, values, culture, etc generally are split by an urban/rural divide rather than the northern/southern divide of the past - here in the south and everywhere else. Trump did win Michigan after all. And rural California has some of the highest concentration of white supremacy groups in the country

Asmodean and Kerri like this.
  9. Kerri

Kerri Members

They do hold some political power but control of the government goes back and forth. What do they do with the power anyway? The south ranks at the bottom in economy, education, crime, poverty, divorce rates. Doesn’t feel to me like winning

10. RetiredHippie

RetiredHippie Hick

How do I feel about someone burning my countries flag. I’ll let Creed Fisher explain it.

11. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

my position would be upwind

my lungs are sensitive

storch likes this.
  12. storch

storch banned

I saw the thread title, and you took the words right out of my mouth.

But seriously, if you wanna poison the land, you go right ahead. But by god you better not ever harm or otherwise disrespect the cloth symbol of that land. Don't you fuckin' cross that line!

GuerrillaLorax likes this.
  13. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

First of all it's our flag, not your flag Creed Fisher.
    Second there is no law against the burning of any flag.
    Third there are many laws against assault and battery.
    Fourth the Supreme Court has ruled that burning the U.S. flag is permitted under the First Amendment.
    Fifth you, Mr. Fisher, can also be charged with violating my Constitutional rights if you stop me from burning a flag, if I so choose.

Sixth, you have a right Creed Fisher, along with any other person who commits this violent act of assault and battery and violation of the First, to serve your time in a prison of the court's choosing.

14. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Standing outside of the firepit

15. roccobkln

roccobkln Members

I hate to see it, but it's protected by the first amendment.

16. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

...and we shouldn't make those people mad....

I'm tired of turning the other check to these losers.
    You ain't gonna persuade them of anything that's moral, logical, or best for the country and world.

17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Good post. And you're right. The actions of anti protesters drastically changes the perceptions others have of them and the legitimacy of the cause. It's amusing how so many lefties are blind to the atrocities they're actually fuelling with their own extremes and ways of hatred. They can't see it though, too blinded by angst and fear.

18. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Atrocities?

Asmodean and MeAgain like this.
  19. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Has there been much flag burning lately to make this an issue worth talking about? None that I know of. Of all the important things to talk about, this doesn't make the the top twenty. Since the Supreme Court decided flag burning was protected symbolic speech, it's pretty much gone out of style.

20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Well, the thread is from 2008.