What's your favourite A Tribe Called Quest song?

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop and Rap' started by Luis Sanchez, Feb 2, 2023.

1. Luis Sanchez

Luis Sanchez Newbie

2. weevill

weevill Members

AHAHAHA YESSSS YESSSS YESSSS WONDERFUL WONDERFUL THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I CAME HERE FOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 HELLO LUIS SANCHEZ I HOPE YOU ARE STILL HERE LINGERING SOMEWHERE I WOULD LOVE TO DISCUSS THIS MATTER WITH YOU AND ALSO I WILL BE WATCHING THIS VIDEO YOU HAVE SHARED TO SEE ANOTHER OPINION AFTER SHARING MY OWN.
    okay, so choosing one is a little difficult. I have multiple answers stemming from different places. i'm going to give my opinion on 11 of their songs to mirror the video.
    11. so, the song that got me into them was bonita applebum, in fact it was one of the songs that changed how i hear music over all if that makes sense. at the very least, it certainly shaped my tastes, and made music feel more... accessible for lack of a better word. the funny thing is, these days it's certainly not my first choice of theirs. don't get me wrong, it sounds great, but the lyrics don't hook me and i'm slightly surprised at how much they used to. then again, i was in middle school when it finally click-clicked for me, and that probably had a lot to do with it.
    10. i was particularly into a few of their songs in middle school, but they've been a slow burning fascination of mine. well, they were anyway. i spent a lot of time listening to them when i was younger too, mostly on the radio or at neighbor's parties though. so what i'm saying is it wasn't until high school that i really started deliberately listening to them often often. the song that i was interested in first around that time was ham n eggs. i don't know why i was so damn drawn to it, but i had it on repeat kinda way too much. i think it partly ties to the misconception i had when i was really young that they made "kids" music, like at some point when i was in elementary school (sorry to keep using to define time periods it's just the easiest way for me to define approximate time) i remember distinctly mistaking the album cover of peoples instinctive travels and the paths of rhythm to have something to do with sesame street. i dont really know why, but that was one of my first impressions again. once again, and impression more relevant to when i was younger, but it still shaped my perception of their early music. the point is, the delivery on this song is really comforting and a particular kind of bubbly i dont hear in a lot of music, and i have a very soft spot for it.
    9. okay, so now onto songs that are my current favorites, i just had to address those two because they are important to me in a particular way. alright, starting with yet another from peoples instinctive travels: push it along. so, i'm particularly fond of this song partly because i think it has my favorite use of sampling on the album, and also it's just formatted really distinctly. i remember the first time i finally listened to this album in order, hearing the beginning of this song kind of just blew me away. it's one of my favorite album openers in general, probably my favorite of theirs aside from whatever the fuck they were doing with midnight marauders and the tour guide stuff because oh dear god does that scratch an itch for me, anyway anyway both the way it starts and ends left a massive impression on me and are part of what makes their music so visual to me. also, the sound of it over all is just really relaxing and ear catching, and once again i cant stress this enough, it's an incredible way to open and album.
    8. so i really really like what? and i like it in the same way i like the beastie boys' twenty questions. what i'm saying is i like songs that ask the listener questions. i dont care what they are, i just like that they're being asked. songs like this are like playgrounds for me and i appreciate them for the endless fun and inspiration.
    7. so i haven't really mentioned this yet but man oh man does phife dawg's delivery get me excited. i like everyone's different styles, both the main members and many many of their features especially the recurring ones, but phife just has a really really good voice and general style in how he goes about writing and saying things. i dont know how to put it more eloquently than that. anyway, butter is a song i go nutty for because it is indeed smooth like butter. sometimes im not sure how to feel about the lyrics as i feel they're kind of dated, but i appreciate that theyre loaded and give me a lot to think about, and also reflect the culture of the time in a way that i appreciate so i can't say i'd change a thing.
    6. so lyrically, youthful expression is a song i have a lot of fun with. i have very little poetic or musical ability, so in a lot of ways i'm really out of my element trying to analyze their music. that doesn't stop me though! i love the way this song is written/structured, the punchiness of the lyrics, how they just keep coming at you. i also just really like the cleverness of it, in what is chosen for rhyming and whatnot. it's also a good example of how their albums have such defined "themes". this album is incredibly youthful in nature, and this is a great culmination of a lot of the other aspects of the album as a whole, or so I feel. also, like all their songs (ESPECIALLY the earlier ones) you can really hear the personhood in it, which is part of why I like it so much.
    5. lyrics to go and the chase, part II are the songs I always show my friends who don't listen to ATCQ. what i'm saying first and foremost is that i think they sound really universally fucking good. on a personal level, they do also have some of my favorite lyrics! lyrics to go is particularly inspiring to me, it always makes me want to get off my ass and do something. the chase, part II on the other hand moreso makes me reminisce. god, it really does feel like an end to the album. it will never stop confusing me that it isn't.
    4. i've heard some people say the beats on beats, rhymes & life arent as good as their earlier albums and upon first listen i fully agreed. the more i come back to it though, the more i really dont feel that way at all. they're generally more simple (imo) and often feel a little 'off' but they have a very distinct charm that i've grown to love. in fact, one song on this album has my favorite use of sampling out of their entire discography. that being 1nce again. that whole thing at the beginning is SOOOOOO cool!!!!!! I don't think it's honestly all that complex but also maybe it is and i'm not overreacting, either way i dont care, it does good shit to my brain and i LOVE it.
    3. I wish ATCQ and Outkast (with big boi too) could have collaborated more than im pretty sure just once? kids makes me sad, for many reasons. the number one being that i cant fully understand it yet. the number two being that my teeth are definitely gonna get fucked up someday.. the number three being that it sounds so damn good and it's all over. okay well also the lyrical progression is probably my favorite out of all their songs maybe also.
    2. I can't stop listening to the jam. seriously. it's so over for me.
    1. my addiction to the jam is bad, but my dependency on keep it rollin' is worse. if i lost access to this song i'd have genuine withdrawl symptoms. i need it to survive.

sorry this is SO rambly, i'm just excited haha. also sorry if any of these answers are kind of stupid, i'm answering more from a personal subjective place more than anything. also the issue with me choosing to answer with multiple songs kind of presents the issue of spreading my pea brain too thin. the point is, i said a lot here, but not some important things. i'd love to go in better detail on individual songs or ideally full albums someday!
    anyway, if you've been listening to them for a long time/in a different way than me PLEASEEEEEE fill me in on your perspective, the beauty of their work is that it has endless angles to approach it from and that's really the fun of it!! i'm desperate to hear others' interpretations, and I would be thrilled to hear ANY thoughts you may have!
    finally, im too out of it to proof read this, so i hope its not totally incoherent T_T

3. weevill

weevill Members

correction, I meant to say the pressure not 1nce again, i mixed them up T_T