Whats Your Family Like?

Discussion in 'All in the Family' started by Yogamat, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Meliai

Meliai Banned

My dad died when I was 8, I guess my childhood was pretty fucked up before then because he was an alcoholic. My siblings got the brunt of it, they were in their late teens when he died. At least I had a normal childhood after he died. We're all pretty typical of children of alcoholics if anyone has ever read into the psychology of being a child of an alcoholic/drug addict.

He was okay though, great person sober and shitty person drunk

Anyways, my mom and siblings and I are pretty close. My brother is weirdly religious and always trying to have bible study with me but he's super smart and quirky so I forgive him for it. My sister is my best friend, we're obnoxiously close. My other brother keeps to himself for the most part but he's the most easy going it of all of us so I enjoy seeing him when i get a chance. They were all like extra parents to me growing up because they are so much older than me. We all have a weird sense of humor and it keeps us bonded

I guess thats it

2. Mister Liam

Mister Liam An Old Mister

My family, what family?

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Begging your pardon there strangers, but y'all look like you're new to my life. We are a long ways away from the beach here, my family lived on ground well up high. And we all hail from South Bavaria, in alpine county with the pines. If you buy me a strong drink of whiskey, I will tell you the tale of their lives. It can beong and be sad but it fits us, and it may bring a tear to your eyes.

All the men in my family were soldiers, the hard fighting, straight talking kind. When my dads turn came well all that was over so he sat there and made up his mind. He would take his brothers and toil on family land and farm it rich with cattle and grain.

My father and his brothers bared a small amount of men to the family, instead they generated 7 daughters and 2 sons.

My folks bared 4 daughters which span across 10 years. When I was 13 one of my uncles came up with an idea of a fresh start somewhere and they pointed at Australia and said this is good farm land. So we packed up and that's where we went. 2 uncles and family stayed behind, 2 left.

But when we got to Australia the folks found it difficult to farm on the land. It was completely different from what they were used to which was wet and green but this new land was dry and hard to work.

So it didn't work, and there was a lot of sadness there. So instead they worked slaughtering cattle and once they had enough they retired early.

My mum has always been the mum, cook, clean wife stuff. She came from a large family there's just not too much to say. She's mum. She's always been a mother not a thrill seeker, so I guess I find her life kind of boring in a sense though before all the daughters I know her and dad had fun.

So my three sisters.

One is late 30s but she thinks she is literally 20. She specifically dates younger guys that make her feel younger. It's an obsession, every relationship she has is just ignored by most of the family, she'll move on to someone younger when she can. She has little money and always taking advantage of the family. She has no money because she parties every night of the week with 20 year olds.

My next oldest is the brains of the family, an engineer who's always been the smarts. She's my closest sister who had a beautiful family now with the hubby and 2 new children. She has come a long way in her life and with her and hubby income from their engineering they are well set.

Then there's me.....

Then there's the youngest and if anyone thinks I'm a bit wild we'll wait until you meet this one, for she has a snappy tongue much harsher than mine and gives less of a fuck than I do about the way I express myself lol. She's a tiger, she's cool and a little rebel, the type that has many male friends but bickers with females. I've really helped her the last 5 years with getting her into her own place (mine) she pays me rent but I am paying off the property and will hand it to her one day. She doesn't really know that yet. It'll be a big surprise. :)

1 person likes this.
  4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Kind of reminds me of this guilty pleasure book series I read about an Irish family made up of 5 sisters with different personalities, every sister has their own book

You should write a book about your fam

Your little sister sounds cool

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I think most people that find out I've 3 sisters if they don't like me then it's like oh yuck 3 Irminsuls no thanks lol. But we are all so different we really aren't like each other from looks to interests. All very different.

6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

LOLz, you dont see how that 2nd paragraph is related to the first?

Your dad disowned you when you came out to him, did he? You sure about that? In that you sure it was about your sexuwallity......or, and I'm just throwing it out there, gay or not thats when it hit him you were going to end up at the same level of man hating craziness as your mother ;)

I mean that in the nicest possible way ;)

C'mon, why is a guy really going to give a fuck if his daughter is gay/gayish?

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

There's always gotta be some underling daddy issue for you and lesbians.

8. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

In this case I was inferring the opposite

She herself said the mother drives her nuts

9. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

My parents are religious, and wealthy...my dad was abusive when I was growing up, emotionally and physically. My mom tried to compensate, but really couldn't. My dad eventually apologized to me for all of this, about two years ago. I have gone through a lot of spiritual changes over the past five years, and they're not happy I left Christianity.

My grandmother, though. On my dad's side. Most amazing woman ever, and she died in 2015. I can't even tell you how horrible that was and sometimes still is. I love my parents, and feel like I can tell my mom anything, but my grandmother was just amazing. Easy to talk to, and never judged me leaving Christianity. She felt bad that my father was abusive to me, because her husband (his dad) was abusive to him, and I guess the fathers just keep passing that down. Never understood why people who were abused as kids, abuse their own kids. But, she was my saving grace, a guiding light.

I've always thought that if we were to get just one wish, I'd wish for a different family of origin. But, then I wouldn't have had my grandma. :blush5:

1 person likes this.
  10. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

My grandma was the same way! She was my balance and calm to the insanity I had for parents. But it all made me a better man regardless.
    I miss my grandma too....:(

1 person likes this.
  11. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

My mom isn't man hating or crazy. I don't follow where you're going with all this.

Anyway, my dad took it as a personal insult. I rejected all men because I saw him as a failure as a man or some such. He's been trying to contact me lately. I'm afraid to find out he's dying.

12. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

Aw, that's good to hear you were so close with her. She was a friend to me, not just my grandma. :)

13. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

my family are my best friends and my worst enemies.

1 person likes this.
  14. Eric!

Morrow, that was beautiful! Life certainly is what you make of it, even after all what seems to be chaotic and never ending misery, we all have the ability to change it for a better one. To forgive your mom for how she was is so "grown up" but also true love! Thank you for sharing!

1 person likes this.
  15. Eric!

LMAO, oh my.

16. Eric!

VG,
    It fuckin happens man. Kids get disowned for shit like that all the time. What is so hard about believing that? It's been going on forever, where have you been? I would care if MY daughter was gay because I wouldn't want her to go through all the persecution and I would like some grandkids some day. She's my only child and my only chance of that ever happening.

17. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Yes, i know what you are going to say, i dont know you, I dont know them

You couldnt possibly be wrong as to the assumption why he broke off contact.

Some general homophobia excuse over something more personal, thats never ever the case.

Me saying your mother is a man hater, thats relative. I meant in his eyes.

It was a personal insult to him....in a way YOU want to believe it was a personal insult. What you are really talking about is him feeling emasculated

Ok, be was a little boy about it, but so what? Hopefully he wants to contact you now becuase he is not sick, but grew up. Still has nothing to do with homophobia.

Guaranteed you have it all wrong becuase its impossible for you to be objective about it

Waste of time holding a grudge if the grudge wasnt real in the first place

18. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

There's no assumption. He asked me what he did to make me this way, and as I tried to explain that he didn't do anything, he slammed me against the wall, told me he didn't raise me to be a dyke, and that he had never been more insulted or disappointed ever in his life.

You act like there is all this room for interpretation. Which is funny because...you weren't there.

I'm really confused on where you're going with this and what point you're trying to make. You don't know the situation, nor were you there, so I'm confused as to why you're so sure there is more to it than what I say.

19. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

You wouldnt want her to go through the persecution?

I live in the thick of it, inner city Sydney, I cant think of a single gay woman over 30 I have known or met in the last 10 years that was unemployed by choice, stuffed to think of any gay woman I have met in the last 10 years that wasnt in a above average income job.

The situation in Yemen or the Sudan would be different of course, but your country, my country, c'mon

The grandkids excuse, even thats not directly true. Edge past 40 and too many people around us the same age, male and female are bitter, judgemental, angry, downright boring or just simply couldnt be fucked socializing. Kids are adorable when they are little, when they get a little bit older they are at least vibrant full of energy even if they become bratty teens. And you get access to young people, their friends, you otherwise wouldnt if your kids didnt have kids.
    You going to pretend you just want grandkids for your daughters sake, its not about what you or your wife want? Bullshit, but you notice no one ever says that kind of shit out loud

Lastly and most importantly, LGT (I'll leave out the B for now), you dont think there is a pecking order amongst gays and lesbians? For the most part they are more judgemental then straight people.
    And back to the B, many of the bisexuals, male ones anyway, that come out later in life were exactly the type that were most angry about the gay thing in high school. So contained with lgBt is a subset of guys that were the most homophobic of all at one stage

Even this recent one about the pastors blaming supporting a pro gay major for Hurricane Harvey, doesnt mean they believe that shit, just a way to get sexually frustrated bumpkins riled up and send their church money. Why does ranting about gays get them more money than a far more serious threat like Nth Korea?

20. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Thats just the VG way, he does this with everyone