what's this obsession with pop culture

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by beatniksik, May 21, 2004.

1. MichaelByrd1967

MichaelByrd1967 Garcia Wannabe

But what do you mean by overrated? He has only a cult following mostly, and he's not really respected in hollywood. He is much of a rebel.

2. TerminalMadness

TerminalMadness Member

Have you read the reviews for his films? People love him, but I think personally he's overrated. He makes too much references to pop culture. I mean it's fine in little doses IMO, but tell the damn story!

3. olhippie54

olhippie54 Touch Of Grey Lifetime Supporter

Bob Ross is the painter.

4. WhatIs

WhatIs Member

>>i personally would love to just DROP OUT and give my t.v. away and just live in a hut for the rest of my life <<

Do it. You'll never regret it. You may change, but you'll never regret trying it.

Peace.

5. tiki_god7

tiki_god7 Member

I would absolutly love the idea of dropping out! I've recently been reading a lot of Alaska magazine and that sonuds like an ideal place to drop out...easy to live off the land....and it seems generally accepted in small alaskan towns.......it is bizarre how frowned upon it is to want to live off the land on your own like that and how pressured we are to do the 'norm' go to college, get a good paying job(one that puts you in the upper class or towards upper middle), get married, have a anice big wedding, have some kids, and spend the rest of your life working to pay for it.......what the hell is that? working the rest of your life? thats ridiculous if you can get by without working why do it....everybody bitches about having to work but the idea of not working is too far out to get a grip on.....
    Which brings me to the point that if one actually does get out live on his own....decides to grow garden in his backyard thats and when you ingest some of the plants....ooops it makes you feel good and a little giggly...and you get arrested....

6. DharmaBum

DharmaBum Old Guard

Bring This Savage Back Home.......

7. white ginger

white ginger Senior Member

right on you definitely should do it.
    I've been planning on doing it soon. BC rainforests... so beautiful. I just have to find some defense for bears... any ideas?

8. SvgGrdnBeauty

SvgGrdnBeauty only connect

I agree. Read Walden by David Henry Thoreau...he did sort of the same thing (except he had no TV to sell)

9. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I've done that, kinda... spent a whole month without any tv or radio... no media stuff whatsoever. Quite enlightening... spent much more time outdoors, talking to friends... rekindled a lot of forgotten relationships... it was much healthier! It's good to flush the media out of your sistem a bit once in a while.

10. alphacolor

alphacolor Member

I don't really give a shit what is popular and what is not, and I never did.
    When I was little (in elementary school) everyone wore certain kind of clothes depending on what was in and what was out. I wore whatever I found confortable.
    A lot of the times I was laughed for clothes, attitude, habits, not liking sports.
    but I was proud to be the one person not to buy all their shit that made you "popular".
    I continued this attitude through high school, and even today. Only today it is more evident in the way I think. Most people "grew up" by accepting the common "standard" ways of looking at life. I spit on that, I have my own perception and my own mind. I will not be taught how to THINK.

Anyway , about TV. I wouldn't throw it, I like watching movies, specially old movies, and sci-fi.

11. deadhead716

deadhead716 Member

without technology, i would probably keel over. computer is a huge part of my life, but sometimes i like to just stay outdoors for a few days, meditating and stuff like that.

as far as standing against the mainstream, i just go with the flow so that i don't get plowed (there are a lot of really violent anti-hippie people at my school). but really, thats only at school. everywhere else, i do and live how i want, as long as it goes over ok from my parents.

12. spooner

spooner is done.

I grew up in norhtern BC... and i'll give you a hint. Black bears are essentially big dogs, they won't do shit unless you are a complete idiot (getting between a mom and her cubs, getting really close to them on purpose). I did a fair bit of hiking/fishing/hunting when i was younger, and one time we were climbing Copper Mountain. All we had was a buck knife and a bear came down the trail (we weren't making much noise, which was dumb) reared up. I picked up a rock, hit the bear on the side and he ran away. Unless bears are used to humans, they aren't particularly dangerous.

13. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

hmm....what the fuck is pop culture exactly? :p

14. purplesage

purplesage Ah, fuck it...

I believe being a hippie is also subscribing to popular culture, to a degree. It might not be popular these days but back in the late 60s many people lived their lives the way you describe. It was the counter-culture but on the other hand it was a popular way for a young person to live their life.

As for me, I'm not against popular culture. I'm just against TODAY's popular culture. I'm interested in the hippie culture, but also how Joe Average, his wife and teenaged son and daughter lived in the late 60s - early 70s. The products they bought, the way they liked to spend their leisure time, the clothes they wore, the music they listened to, the TV shows they watched, etc.

15. white ginger

white ginger Senior Member

Cool thanks Spooner. yeah... I'll just have to sing a lot :)

16. spooner

spooner is done.

if anybody is seriously thinking about living on their own, out of society, for a while... make sure you check out the queen charlotte islands. Its a set of islands off the coast of bc with beautiful scenery, no predators except black bears, a plentiful species of dwarf deer, magic mushrooms that grow in the wild... the whole islands have only two towns with a population of about 500 people combined, and its possible to walk the circumference of the top island in about a week i'd say.

17. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

I work in a bank with some of the most shallow people you'll ever meet. They are all major victims of "pop culture". The vast majority of them listen to terrible music and watch all those pop idols shows and other equally as bad reality tv shows. I think the main problem these days is that so much advertising goes into all this crap and people buy into it all. They aren't exposed to other more underground stuff. I was exposed to good music by my Dad when I was much younger and ever since then could never listen to pop and have always dug through all the shit that's released to find the far-better less well known stuff. As for people ridiculing you for being different, I find that quite sad and the fact that they feel the need to do it doesn't say much about them. I think people have become afraid of the "different". But as Bob Dylan said and it still rings thrue today "Don't criticise what you can't understand". I don't think the people I work with are bad people they're just what I would class as dullards. They've been consumed by modern day advertising and have no sense of taste or proper culture left in them. Pop culture has been Americas gift to the world, don't accept it, do your own thing and be your own person. Even if you are ridiculed which would you prefer a little bit of slagging or to be the bitch of pop culture and a dullard?? I know which I'd choose!

18. prism

prism :o

You know what really sucks....having to be around young people who worship the concept of pop culture. :-(
    Oh, the perks of being in the 16-21 age group...
    :-(

19. Nathan11

Nathan11 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Prism, I love you.
    :)
    Wanna have sex?

20. prism

prism :o

OK. I'll be at the brothel in a minute.
    :D