what's this obsession with pop culture

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by beatniksik, May 21, 2004.

1. beatniksik

beatniksik Member

i personally would love to just DROP OUT and give my t.v. away and just live in a hut for the rest of my life and not be around all the bull shit of pop culture. if you are eccentrice people will laugh and mock but if you are out of pop culture they wont see you, i just hate the fact that if i don't look or act like such and such then i'm ridiculed. i'm tired of racism, sexism, ageism, hypocrisy, hate, superficiality, materialism etc... i just want to live my bohemian lifestyle without shame, looks, stares, i'm sick of it it's BULLSHIT. aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

2. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

Amen to that.

Although actually I've never felt the urge to drop out. I'm more than happy to be a freak in a normal world and just figure it would be better to be out there proud and strong, not letting them push people around, rather than hiding away feeling all persecuted and crap.

Perhaps it's diffrent where you are, but I've never really felt ridiculed and shamed or whatever. Then again it might just me. Maybe I've got a very high shame threshold.

Each to their own I guess.

TTFN

Sage

3. bradofcentralpa

bradofcentralpa Member

high shame threshold...thanks. i plan to use that.
    responding to the original post... yep. boohoo boho boohoo. I think we all get a little tired of being limited to conforming or being a part of a 'counter culture.' of course, we gotta keep in mind, some people like pop-culture...it's security, but there's just enough variety to keep people interested.

4. earthy44

earthy44 Member

My husband and I got rid of our TV and are glad we did. But I can't tell you how many people at work asked "Did you watch the last Friends episode? the last Frasier episode?" ect.ect. People's lives revolve around pop culture. Its amazing the crap that the media feeds people to distract them from the real issues. ACK!

5. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

There was a long while from about 1985-1990 when I watched no television. I had a black and white television that was in the closet. But then again, during those years I also didn't have a computer.

In today's world I would feel isolated without my television. My cable fee is quite nominal and it is a tool that connects me with my outer world. I can watch the HISTORY Channel, or ANIMAL PLANET. I can run CNN and see world news or I can tune into the local PBS channel to learn a language or watch a particular feature.

I would also be hard pressed with my videocassette viewing without a television.

It's not the television that is evil... it's what you choose to view on it !

6. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

we don't have cable so I watch PBS all the time since we only get about 4 channels. I do watch the simpsons when it comes on and King Of the Hill but for the most part PBS. I am watching the painting guy right now that talks about "happy trees".
    I remember back in the day when MTV used to play some fairly decent stuff, WTF happend to it...........

7. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

i think duncan is right....

also if you really want to drop out and live in the wilderness, that is very possibly y'know? ever heard of a dude named tom brown? he can tell you how....

8. kilted2000

kilted2000 Member

Poeple want to live in the comforting world of comformism. The best thing to do in my opinion is do what you wnat and fuck anybody who dosen't like it.

9. TerminalMadness

TerminalMadness Member

I feel the same way too. I'm not like everyone else. As a matter of fact I've only been accepted here and on my own messsage board.

I'd love to live in a commune or go hiking to other countries for a while. Just do everything over and take a long break. I'm hoping someday I can do such a thing, but until then, just live with it as best as you can.

10. beachbum7

beachbum7 Lookin' for any fun

Here in Japan, I've watched a lot less TV than I did back home (we don't have cable in our apartment and I don't understand the language), and I think I'm the better for it. I think I would feel isolated if I didn't have TV at all, and I don't want to feel isolated (I felt isolated when I didn't have easy access to the 'net). But spending time on a commune does have its appeal to me. I think there is an obsession with pop culture because people want to feel some sort of comfort.

11. Andy73

Andy73 Member

"The best thing to do in my opinion is do what you wnat and fuck anybody who dosen't like it."

Could'nt have said it better myself

12. TerminalMadness

TerminalMadness Member

I'd love to find a commune to lay down at for a while. It'd be a welcome change from this life.

13. MichaelByrd1967

MichaelByrd1967 Garcia Wannabe

Most people who obsess about celebrities, lack 2 things...

1. The energy to build up talents.
    2. A life and individuality of their own.

Which is why most of us (countercultural peoples) are here.

It's all about a certain "status quo" that does not, can not, and is not possible exist. If there was a so-called "status quo", where would individuality be? NOWHERE! In a being as imperfect as humans, animals, and plants; there is no such thing as a perfection, a normality, or a "status quo". Nothing can stay the same, ever! Change is what makes the universe function.

Anyway...
    When it comes to celebrities and such, mass media is controlling the minds of most people today, but we have the power to resist. The power being our talents, whether it be music, art, tie-dying, meditation, etc.; it helps us resist the controlling sublimination of mass media. In music, there are no more talented and artful musicians, because it's all about the money, and not the pure thrill of creating a piece of music that can represent something that you believe in. In movies, there are no more talented actors, interesting plotlines, or revolutionary ideas (with the exception of the films of Quentin Tarantino, which I think are definitely brilliant and revolutionary). In television, TV shows and commercials have gotten duller and duller and duller and duller and duller and duller and duller............................................................................................................

where was I? Ohh!

Anyway, we should protest the control that mass media has on the human race. It's our God-given right to protest whatever we want. We should make a stand. It could begin with a flood of talent from our counterculture, to vividly outshine the dullness of today's mass media.

Who's With Me?!?!?!?!

14. TerminalMadness

TerminalMadness Member

Whoa! You had me until the whole thing about Quentin Tarantino. I mean his last movie "Kill Bill Vol. 1 and 2" weren't exactly revolutionary. Even he admits the plot and all aspects of characters and costumes are taken from old movies he loves. I mean look at Uma Thurman's outfit; straight up bruce lee in game of death.

And there are some good directors out there, but they just don't get the attention they deserve:

Sam Raimi
    Robert Rodriguez
    christopher nolan
    Danny boyle
    Richard Linklater
    Danny Kaufman

I agree otherwise. Good points made.

15. SoundStepper

SoundStepper Member

I wish i could throw away my televison but there is sometimes some good stuff on it, like i spend most of my time watching the news just to know whats going on, or watching something thats going to help me grow like possibly the history or discovery channels, see televison is a fine object just people should spend time trying to learn something everytime they turn it on, instead i guess, being numb feels a whole lot better.

Someday the country will be in trouble and we can blame it staright on the media. Its no longer about art or getting new information about our world, its about making money and promoting pointless trite ideas.

Well, maybe things will change but until then television will remain in the way from totaly getting inside who we are.

16. SvgGrdnBeauty

SvgGrdnBeauty only connect

Its no longer about art or getting new information about our world, its about making money and promoting pointless trite ideas.

...and it is so unfortunate...

...where did art go in this world? Where did the appriciation of inner beauty go in this world...in the electric box that is full of violence and gossip...

...hmm...there are very few things I watch on TV...and most of them are on PBS or the History Channel, old movies, or episodes of Monty Python's Flying Circus

17. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

tv is bad - is the internet (largely a public sewer) any better?

do you mean 'pop' culture or modern "culture" - I thought pop was warhol/beatles etc.

18. SvgGrdnBeauty

SvgGrdnBeauty only connect

modern...pop culture as in the popular of now...

...now...I could def. do with some Andy Warhol and Beatles...

19. MichaelByrd1967

MichaelByrd1967 Garcia Wannabe

I think his movies are brilliant, true they contain a lot of violence, but it exposes the truths about society, and corruption of society. And his whole, plot-revealing technique was genius in 'Pulp Fiction'. Maybe I went a little overboard with 'revolutionary', but still I think credit is due where credit is deserved.

20. TerminalMadness

TerminalMadness Member

Whoa! Once again, I never said he sucked, but I just think he's overrated.

Reservoir Dogs is one of my favorite movies of all time. Hey, a spade is a spade, I gotta give him credit for changing the way movies are made.