Whats the healthiest upper for my brain?

Discussion in 'Drug Polls' started by ExperimentingHappily, Nov 15, 2019.

1. ExperimentingHappily

ExperimentingHappily Members

I want something to do while partying, that makes me more confident, happy and makes me have fun. Wanted to try MDMA, but then I read some new studies on it destroying the 5-HT system of your brain, responsible for memory, intelligence and happiness. So what should I try? Any ideas?

DrRainbow likes this.
  2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

pfff i dont remember losing any memory on MDMA.

3. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

There is a lot of propaganda regarding the extent of MDMA brain damage, although there are some studies which seem fairly credible that suggest it is neurotoxic, but so is alcohol, so I wouldn't let those claims deter you if you just want to try it ("Use it don't abuse it"). There is even a study from earlier this decade by neuropsychopharmacologist David Nutt that ranked the "Harm to User" from MDMA as not only lower than other popular illicit stimulants like Methamphetamine and Cocaine but even lower than Cannabis. Granted I think there are other variables considered with that formulation, such as addictiveness and personally I think that might be a bit misleading in the other direction, making it seem more benign than it is, as there are definitely acute side effects many report such as a "crash" and teeth grinding from MDMA which I consider worse than side effects from Cannabis. Just putting that here to suggest that in no way are the results of (m)any of the studies fully understood, let alone conclusive.

MDMA is mildly psychedelic as well and can provide a uniquely transformative experience, the benefits of which can vastly outweigh the benefits of any other stimulants (and many hallucinogens) imo. This quality is why I hold it in such high regard and why it is among my favorite drugs. However, this aspect also means you should be more selective in the environment you explore it in, it's more conducive to an intimate experience with close friends/Significant Other or a rave/music festival which enhances these effects. It's not something I would recommend taking at the local bars, standard club or random house party for your first time. MDMA does tend to make you feel happy and it can definitely be Fun, it's unique regarding confidence, it's not really ego-driven and if you're not in a comfortable environment as I alluded to earlier, it can actually elicit anxiety and essentially make you have a bad trip (usually not to the extent of LSD or Magic Mushrooms but nothing to scoff at either). The confidence it tends to elicit is more an acceptance of self and others, there is a unique disinhibiting quality of the emotional barriers we seem to cast through socialization.

Some people prefer the confidence that Cocaine elicits, it's probably the more typical example of confidence people seek, I've heard some say they feel more "in control". In a vacuum, I don't believe Cocaine is that neurotoxic but it's cardiotoxic and it's infamous for being a more-ish drug where people continually redose throughout the night, also it's common practice to mix with alcohol which creates the drug cocoaethylene in vitro which is both more neurotoxic and cardiotoxic. So if you can do just like one line at a sitting, cocaine might be the route to go for your concerns but due to the brevity of the high that is an extremely uncommon practice. Cocaine can be fun and I wouldn't really put any setting constraints on it but it tends to make some people angry.

So basically of the notable illicit drugs with stimulant effects, there isn't any I would deem as "healthy" in the same way as legal stimulants such as coffee or tea. What you're basically looking to benefit from is the experience itself. Adulteration is probably a bigger concern than brain damage for someone looking to explore these drugs initially. Or making you sure you are getting the substance you intend to.

The only other notable stimulant drugs I know of which might be healthier are modafinil and racetam drugs like oxiracetam. I've only done the latter and I wouldn't describe it as a particularly recreational drug, it seemed to boost confidence and I felt content on it but there was nothing that really jumped out to me about it in the fun department. I also don't know to what extent these drugs have been tested.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    ExperimentingHappily likes this.
  4. ExperimentingHappily

Wow, I really appreciate the effort you took for that reply!
    Maybe I will consider doing MDMA in the future, till now I stuck to psychedelic "downers" and some legal high, plus the classic drugs. I didn't really like cocaine, but to be honest I am very careful about neurotoxicity since I was born with clinically low IQ and have been working on that throughout all my teenage years, not only trying to sound smarter to not come off as weird, but to actually create new brain cells. Thats where my concern for MDMA came from, here is one of the studies I read btw. Does recreational ecstasy use cause long-term cognitive problems?
    My idea for MDMA would be to take it at a rave with a friend, and buy a specific armband with a certain smell, and then only take MDMA while wearing this armband and smelling the smell, like as a perfume or something. We used to do this with other drugs we didn't want to take too much of, the objective was that after three or four times, we could just put on the armband and smell the smell, and gain confidence and happiness close to the one you feel on ecstasy. Modafinil is pretty addictive, isn't it? Maybe still worth a try, on the other one Ill have to check, Im not very knowledgeable about all this tbh. What about phenibut? As long as I manage not to get addicted....

5. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

That article is from 2000 and references a researcher who got criticized for having flawed methodology and even using the wrong drug in research a couple years later on during an MDMA study, which then had to be retracted.

Here is an excerpt on the retraction...

I have never used Modafinil, it was marketed as a healthier alternative to amphetamines but the few people I knew who spoke positively about it, used it as a smart drug to be productive rather than for recreation. Phenibut is more of a downer, I consider it addicting. It has a very unforgiving dose curve, I dosed too much of it once and the side effects were brutal, cyclic nausea, dizziness and insomnia for a couple days. The messed up thing about phenibut is that once you get caught up in that stage, the common suggestion is that you have to take more (obviously lower doses) to wean off it every so often because of the way GABA receptors respond otherwise the side effects will get even worse. There is a 'sweet spot' with phenibut if you have good impulse control or perhaps are more familiar with GABA drugs than I but it must have a really long half life or something wonky because redosing even after several hours seemed to bolster the effects.

6. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

As far as MDMA no can dispute brain "damage" is occurring during use in a way. Brain structure changes the brain adapts even temporarily in a way that is not natural. The studies can't really show any change in memory or intelligence but the brain's getting stimulated in a way that is unnatural. This is SMALL amounts of use. If you get into the habit of using MDMA every weekend to have fun in the club it's not good. The way it gets you high is just not like other drugs. Even limited use is sometimes too much. If you can handle that it's a nice drug.

Most MDMA thought to be "safe" in clinical trials is not synthesized as it is now. It was made in the 80's or before when different chemicals were legal. The new method does create hangovers after use for many people. Traditionally MDMA did not do this in small doses. The R vs S ratio of the MDMA is no longer the same. What we want is medical stuff in a small dose. Really only 100-150 mg is needed with one redose of half that in users who use it properly. I think this is something to keep in mind regarding MDMA safety. It's the same chemical but it's not. A small change in chemistry does a lot. Even MDA vs MDMA is different experience in many ways It's really not THAT different of a chemical structurally.

I guess all I have ever had access to is newer MDMA. My issues with it came from using all the time. If you decide to use it I think your plan is smart. Do it with a friend and stick to small doses. At doses beyond what I mentioned you just get more negative effects. All the clinical trials that say it's safe are not going though a gram in a night.

If you want a long term causal party drug try 2CB. It's much more rare compared to MDMA. In large doses it's psychedelic like LSD. In small doses it has a mild MDMA feeling but a more controlled visual and mental experience. It's the drug that felt most like a normal MDMA to me. Music is good, sex is good, you feel good. You don't fry your brain. MDMA is that times 10 but it's at a cost. If you want to rave every weekend it's the drug of choice for many. The only thing it lacks compared to MDMA is the extreme confidence. Like with MDMA you might do things out of character for you. Shy people are everyone's friend and you tell people personal stories. It's the idea for some people's experiences. 2CB is more for that with people you know anyway. I think it and other psychedelics do that in peronsal settings. That is often one of the things people say MDMA does well. It does but also in a different way. I've used a lot of MDMA and I prefer 2cb now.

MDMA causes a release of serotonin in the brain. It's not normal brain function. The brain thinks 2CB is serotonin. The stimulation of the brain is different. It's why 2CB does not cause a hangover. It's actuly the preferred drug of the chemist who made MDMA famous. He thought 2CB had the most potential for therapy.

7. ExperimentingHappily

Tha
    thats great! This study kind destroyed my plans, happy to hear its not that credible to be honest. No, I have never tried GABA drugs so far, only serotonine immitators and dopamime releasing ones. Phenibut doesnt sound very good anymore, not gonna lie, imagined it completely different :/ thanks for the help!

8. ExperimentingHappily

Y'all are great on this forum, I rarely get replies this thought out! Well, MDMA is from what I heard my favorite so far, also Im planning to use it at a festival or something, so not only people I know. I like LSD a lot, but I dont think its what Id take to party to be honest. What do you think of those kits with ingredients, supposedly proven to prevent brain damage? MDMA (Molly/Ecstasy) Supplements

9. Exercise

parua likes this.
  10. ExperimentingHappily

Just googled the retraction you mentioned, its 5 google pages below the falsified study... This guy claiming he "accidentally" confused it with metamphetamine, just disgusting, this anti- drugs propaganda. People should be educated, not deterred

11. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

That will help but you are fighting the nature of the drug. You need a long term healthy diet to heal the brain. Many ravers think a few days of supplements after a concert undo MDMA. Most common one is probably 5-HTP. That needs months to really work how they want it to.

Personally I just use weed, vitamin C, and NAC after the rolls. I don't use NAC for 3 days prior to MDMA since it's kills the high. After the MDMA I use it again. NAC is known to bring the "magic" back for users and it's in healthy anyway. Just having a healthy diet always has me ready fir MDMA. I am naturally producing serotonin not forcing it in a rush.

The biggest risk seems to be heat when using MDMA not the actual MDMA affects on the brain. People are taking it at summer festivals and dancing all day. Your body is cooking itself. High temperatures are not good for the brain. When I've used in a AC cooled house I don't get the same comedown as a festival.

12. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

This is caused by losing memory...

13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Pfff I don't remember losing any memory on mdma.

parua likes this.
  14. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

[​IMG]

15. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I don't do drugs anymore, so what I do when I go out is drink caffeine. That usually puts me in a good place. :)

16. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

the bathroom?

17. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

yeah actually that happens. You have to piss when you drink coffee. :D

18. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I know I get forgetful on weed. Like seriously the first 15-20mins on weed I'll forget what I was literally doing or thinking or talking about 10 seconds ago.

19. Make Gratagan

Make Gratagan Members

K is fun and I believe pretty safe but I guess not so much a social thing.