What's the best self-help book you have read?

Discussion in 'Self-Help Books' started by Jacktoo, May 20, 2010.

1. RiffRaff

RiffRaff Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Think and Grow Rich by Napolean Hill. The title doesn't do it justice. It is so much more than talking about getting rich. It's timeless a work of genius.

2. etkearne

etkearne Resident Pharmacologist

A Guide to Rational Living by Drs. Albert Ellis and Robert Harper is the only self-help book that is completely free of bull-shit and egomania that fills most of the other books. It is based on Rational Behavior Therapy, which is (IMO) the more intelligent and workable cousin of the ever-popular Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT).

3. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

The Seat of the Soul by Gary Zukav. I don't usually read self help books but some guy drinking a beer next to me at a bar gave it to me and said it changed his life so he wanted to pass it on. I figured, why not? To be honest i only read half of it because it started to get a little too new agey and out there for my taste about halfway through, but the first part I can honestly say was life-changing. The first half of the book is all about the power of positive energy.

5. etkearne

etkearne Resident Pharmacologist

I also want to put in a word for the book The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Workbook for Bipolar Disorder. I found it to be amazingly practical and honest. Even if you have no mood disorders at all, almost everything in the book is written so that any person would benefit from it. Along with the other book I recommended above, this helped really change my way of living from miserable pathetic existence to a more balanced way of processing things.

6. ara-now

ara-now Guest

The book that changed my life from a drunk to a clean sober family man was
    Mindfulness in Plain English by Gunaratana it was given to me by an old friend at an intervention. Took a long while to sink in, with many false starts, but once I got it....the simple practice of meditation healed a longtime addiction.

Anyway you can download this free original version HERE

Peace :sunny:

7. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I know it all depends on what areas of life you are focusing on. A book that was helpful to me a few years ago was The Journey From Abandonment To Healing by Susan Anderson.

Most recently, I've been reading the Kryon series. I get a lot from them.

8. I am Rooney

I am Rooney Visitor

masturbating for dumbasses

9. Applespark

Applespark Ingredients:*Sugar*

Flow the psychology of optimal experience and excuse me my life is waiting are 2 good ones

10. EllaDen

EllaDen Guest

Who can help you? I think only yourself can. I used to think that someone can halp me but I'm wrong.

11. Yancyxx

Yancyxx Member

The Self help book name "How to win friends & influence people" by Dale Carnegie

12. Revenant79

Revenant79 Member

Friends/People is an awesome book, tho a bit on the dark/manipulative side.

A Wizard of Earthsea, believe it or not. Not a self-help per se, but a very insightful book with few words and much meaning. Ogion, Sparrowhawk, and the Shadow have all become an important part of my internal mythos.

Healing the Child Within was indeed excellent.

Waking the Dead by John Eldredge (Christian) is my all-time best. Concise, realistic (advise? help?), no holds barred. Tl;dr - it's okay to be you, but first you have to find you.

13. River 1509

River 1509 Member

I like to read books about human surviving.

14. Grainpsilo

Grainpsilo Member

It is called "stop being a whiny emo pussy because your life could be the hell of alot worse"

15. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

Is that any better than the book on: "Stop posting things to boost your own ego and look down upon others in threads that you're not wanted in" ?

16. learn2see

learn2see Member

Not really a "self help" more of a "DIY" kinda thing, but Richard Webster's How to Past Lives was so good. I found it easy to read and hard to put down and in any perspective of life, it at least included tons of great meditation techniques I've tried and loved.

17. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Change your brain, Change your life by Daniel G. Amen...

But I should mention that's the only self help book I've read.

While not a self help book specifically, I found The Mission of Art by Alex Grey very inspiring.

18. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels Member

I'm just starting TAGR. The best I have read, currently still reading, is Your Erroneous Zones by Dr. Wayne W. Dyer.

It has very good material and makes a lot of sense.

19. SinisterBotanist

SinisterBotanist Member

I have that sitting on my bookshelf, unfinished. I don't like his art at all but it's nice to get some new perspectives on art. I can't say I remember much about what he wrote, just that man lost the sacred dimension of art. The first non-fiction book I read out of my own interest was a book on aesthetics, which I still don't really understand completely lol.

These aren't explicitly self help books, but they have changed my perspective for the better.

The Wisdom of Insecurity - Alan Watts (if you don't already know him look up a lecture of his on Youtube, he's incredible)

& as a follow up to that,

Contentment: A Way to True Happiness
    - Robert A. Johnson (Jungian Analyst)

I think the world would be a better place if everyone read those.

And these are helpful if you're going through depression.
    The Depression Book: Depression as an Opportunity for Spiritual Growth - Cheri Huber
    The Zen Path Through Depression - Philip Martin
    Transforming Depression: Healing the Soul Through Creativity - David Rosen (this one especially if you're thinking about suicide, but you might need a Jungian analyst to put a lot of use to it)

20. learn2see

learn2see Member

Oh mann, I love Alex Gray's art. Really speaks to me. I didn't even know he wrote a book! Stoked.