What's Happening???

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Aerianne, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

It's hot as hades here but I haven't checked the temp. Thirty minutes waiting on my granddaughter at the ball field was enough for this old gal.

tumbling.dice likes this.
  2. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

It'll blow over, just don't go changing!

3. Aerianne

I've been checking with ZenKarma to get an understanding of the changes here.

I went to bat for the chat threads and this is the response I got.

ZK: Here is a suggestion, if you want to have a chat thread, start it in a section other than random thoughts or a sex forum, and give it a title that is significant. And keep the thread on track. But please don't call it a 'chat about nothing,' or use the word 'chat' in the title.

But ultimately, we would prefer to have people use the chat room feature...we went to a lot of trouble to get something that works and is enjoyable with features like private chat.

Recently the forums have been tanking in the search engine results, and we have not been generating new members. Growth here was stagnant. Additionally long time members were asking for their accounts to be deleted, and many haven't bothered posting for years. I asked many for a reason why, and they all pointed to the chat threads, salacious sex threads, and threads about nothing.

The moment we changed the policy on the new posts feed there were many new members. More posting began in other threads about real subjects, and we are happy to see that.

I don't think I can explain this with more clarity.

Me: The chat room does not serve much purpose for people who want to catch up with each other but are unable to be live in the chat room with each other at the same time. It's useless for alot of us.

You've got to have space provided for unstructured, general sharing or you don't build bonds and friendships that make people want to hang around.

If somebody wants to say it's hot as hell and laugh about the girl at the bank acting like their deodorant had failed there's not going to be a specific thread to do that.

If somebody wants to say their son is getting a divorce or their daughter lost their job there isn't going to be a thread for that.

If someone wants to say their father's health is failing and they don't know how to cope with thoughts of their death, they want a comfortable place where they've established friendships with people. You don't make specific threads to for that. You don't get that by dropping by the chat room and hoping someone sympathetic is there.

ZK: Yes, that space is random thoughts. But they will not appear in the New Posts feed. End of discussion on that issue.

If that is not good enough for you there is another place that is personal to you and will appear in the new profile posts.

That place is called your profile feed.

Also note that as far back as 2006 Skip posted about nonsense titles for threads. They are not helpful to the site in any way, and actually demean the site's integrity. Read it in the Announcement threads.

So there you have it - All the answers from the top.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  4. Aerianne

I need to drop off a prescription for hubby's antibiotic. The bone doc doesn't want him to get an infection.

Chat to you all later!

5. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Not to argue with the powers that be, but the result of that will be 9 billion one and two reply threads.

If everything said here was its own thing, there would be like 45 separate threads. I don't get the sense of that.

6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Plus he said the threads about nothing have also bothered people and made them leave?

So i'm not sure what we're supposed to do, create threads for any little thought we want to discuss, or keep it contained in a chat thread? Or i guess they want us to do neither and not build friendships?

Whatevs. I'm not using the chat room, this is not AOL circa 1996

Eric! likes this.
  7. Aerianne

I gave you what ZK says can't be made any clearer. I can't say to ask him because he says it doesn't need to be discussed further.

I haven't been told that we weren't okay doing what we do where we are now.

8. Aerianne

I will offer one more bit of discussion to ZK on this.

Nobody had any problems with HFs when you could filter what you chose to see or not see.

That ability did not come back after the software change.

9. Aerianne

It's still 87F here....Fuck it's hot.

Eric! and tumbling.dice like this.
  10. Aerianne

Hubby ran into the door facing and dented the hard splint he got yesterday.

Now the dent pokes in and hurts the boney top of his shoulder.

Don't ask me how he ran into a door facing with the top of his shoulder.

11. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

[​IMG]

There was also one titled "Does Pulling Out Work?"...but thank God, no "Random Thoughts". [​IMG]

Meliai likes this.
  12. Meliai

Meliai Banned

My post wasnt directed at you. I just dont personally find his reasoning to be very clear. Tis okay though, i'm gonma say one more thing then i'll be done bitching about it

I just dont get why he doesnt delete random thoughts completely if he thinks it is so problematic. The whole forum could stand to be cleaned up a bit to be honest, there's way too many subforums which is probably why everyone just defaulted to random thoughts anyways

K

/bitchfest

Aerianne likes this.
  13. Aerianne

Driving the teenager to softball practice soon.

14. Noserider

Yeah, I pop in and out throughout the day while at work. Can't really commit to a chat room while working full time though.

15. Aerianne

I took the older granddaughter to softball practice; sat with the triplets; then after their dad got home, I picked up from ball practice; took her to get her eyebrows threaded and to buy some suntan lotion; picked up hubby's prescriptions; and got the girl some McDonald's.

They're home packing for their vacations; hubby's taking a nap; and I'm finally eating some breakfast food.

16. Noserider

leaving now for the doctor's.

*crosses fingers*

17. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Hope everything is okay!

18. Meliai

Meliai Banned

My pickles turnes out good, I couldnt resist opening a jar after 48 hours but i'm going to let the other jars sit longer

And tonight i'm going to make more but i'm going to do a more traditional kosher recipe which doesnt use vinegar, the sour taste comes from the fermentation process rather than the vinegar

19. Noserider

Yikes! Well...um...I've officially been diagnosed with MS.

So there's that...

20. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Fuck Neo, that sux. Words aren't adequate I know that. How long you been having symptoms?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.