What's Happening???

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Aerianne, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

GOOD POINT.

the internet was being terrible yesterday and all my threads have drafts to delete that I never posted

2. themnax

themnax Senior Member

baking soda makes a better fire extinguisher. its even in some kinds of them.
    never heard of salt putting out fires, only turning the flames a pretty shade of green.
    but any non-flamable, mass will eventually smother it.
    (or any mass that cuts off its oxidizer supply faster then it can itself be ignited)

3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

:rolleyes:

*Newman gif*

4. Asmodean

Meesa thinkie?

(I just watched The Phantom Menace last night :p)

5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Salt is good for grease fires, which is what this was.
    I had to talk to the google machine afterwards, because I was about to dump flour on it if I couldn't find salt and I needed to know if flour would have put it out

And according to my research
    Salt is best for grease fires. Baking soda works too but it takes a lot more baking soda than it does salt.
    And flour is combustible so I'm glad I didnt do that

Asmodean likes this.
  6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I dont know what this means
    You got a problem with my Himalayan salt homie?

7. themnax

themnax Senior Member

salt can be collected any place water with a naturally high saline content can be evaporated.
    salt is one of those vary simpilist of all possible chemicals, sooo,
    why himalian particularly. himalias are a cool place, and i guess its nice to support people in bhutan and nepal,
    if it even actually comes from there, but really in what way is there anything particular about it comming from the himalias,
    then the salt pans of preston england, or the south end of the san francisco bay?

salt is salt, and the only reason i can think of for the label himalian, is a con to charge some fancy price for it.
    litterally NaCl, any place in the world it comes from.

other clorides are also called salts too. like potasium cloride, as a supliment for sodium cloride for people avoiding sodium, and there ore other substances called salt, but i don't thing you'd want to ingest most of them. you can get NaCl corser grained, for your driveway to melt the ice on it, or finer grained, no idea why, you can mix it with liquid soap and some kind of perfume to make those fancy skin cream things they sell for twenty bux for a couple of ounces, which you could make up a hundred for the price the sell one for, and still have enough change left over for a quish at stars and bux. but i'm with "himalian? why himalian?"

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    Asmodean likes this.
  8. Asmodean

Double post...

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  9. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Himalayan salt is stronger tasting. I don't think "salt is salt". It's pink. Why is it pink?

10. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Mineral impurities.

Okay I take it back. The Wikipedia page has changed my mind. Themnax and Asmo are right.

11. Asmodean

I think Himalayan salt is predominantly mined in Pakistan.

12. Where does salt come from?

13. Asmodean

God fucking damnit. Edited my double post and now the other one is gone too. Last time I edit a freaking double post on here

I'll try to rewrite:
    You conveniently forgot it got discussed on here, awhile ago perhaps but thoroughly? ;)
    The conclusion was that it's just very old salt that got marketed as something special. Disadvantage is it has to travel across half the world to get to you (not ecologically responsible). And it is overpriced (solely the buyers problem but still ).
    And it's not more pure or healthy than more local mineral salts. It's also mined as opposed to scraped from a mountain.

14. Asmodean

Ok now I see it as a double post again..? Will not touch either anymore now as it seems to sort itself out later (and if i edit one now both are edited..)

Driftrue likes this.
  15. themnax

themnax Senior Member

lol i wouldn't be surprised.

there's a big salt mine somewhere in eastern europe, i forget where, that has all sorts of carvings and rooms, like those other underground cities in turkey and elsewhere.

and i forget what specifically causes pink coloration. i used to know. but its an admixture of some kind and not salt itself.
    maybe fish piss? probably a mixture of other chlorides leached out of the rock. i know orthoclase feldspar has that pink coloration.

feldspar is the part of granit, gness and andusite, that is leached out by acid rain, leaving behind the sand of quartz and mica.

this desolved feldspar is your good pottery clay.

Asmodean likes this.
  16. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Oh yeah. I forgot we've discussed this before.
    I think I actually started buying sea salt rather than Himalayan salt after we talked about it but then some time passed and I forgot about it. Oops
    And you're right about the transport. I am trying to be more conscious of that (a certain book that will soon be in route from the UK notwithstanding;) )

Driftrue likes this.
  17. Asmodean

If there's no closer alternative its not a sin ;) :)

I buy bananas from latin America and don't feel hypocritical or am ashamed of it. They're organic and fairtrade which helps.
    Also; making mistakes is not bad at all. It's how we deal with them after it gets apparent to us. It's hard to know everything

Meliai likes this.
  18. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i don't think transport would be that much of a problem if it were propelled by the right sources of energy, but it is a needless added expense to go half way around the world for something you can dig up in your own back yard, or near enough to it.

obviously not bananas. and that reminds me of the shredded cocoa nut on "german" chocolate cake. i am still trying to figure out where they grow cocoa nuts in germany.

Asmodean and Meliai like this.
  19. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Yeah avocados are my imported thing. Although I'm going to grow a tree because even though it won't fruit NOW who knows, maybe climate change will alter that and I want to be ready.

20. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Buying locally grown veggies and fruit is something I really tried to do this summer
    But yeah, avacados and bananas....I ain't never gonna give you up

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.