What's Going To Take Us Out First?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Aerianne, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

I agree with you. We are more likely to not survive a pandemic than all else.

Be it a natural mutation or an engineered and released one it will be devastating.

2. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

One word. "Supervolcano."

3. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

i resist the notion that something is going to "take us out".

all of those things are just going to add to the slow poisoning of our planet. but life will adapt, until life can no longer survive the environment we're creating.
    just my take on it...

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Other: Smart ants will take over.

5. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

yeah lucky

if we have a few seconds to repent we will all be saved...dont you know how religion works?...

(ok now that was facetious )

but really...i'd want to see it coming...I want to know when im going to die

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I don't want to know that, if you figure it out please don't tell me!

7. Jimmy P

Jimmy P bastion of awesomeness

Unless we destroy ourselves...

This might be something that could wipe us out. I'm thinking zombies, specifically.

This is another option. Do you guys even realize how much ant there is on this planet? In biomass, anywhere from 3-30 times as much ant as human, if we include all 12000+ species. There are species of ants that are straight up terrifying, like Army ants, Bullet ants, and the horrible Argentine ants.

8. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

[​IMG]

9. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

There was speculation within the intelligence community that Al Qaeda might decide to inject growth hormone into fire ant communities throughout the southwestern united states, creating in essence super large ants (a meter in length) capable severing human limbs :eek:

Hotwater

10. Jimmy P

Pffft, you know it's totally possible. Stop living in denial. Make sure your bomb shelter is well stocked. In addition to the standard food and medical supplies, I recommend a crowbar per person in your household, and at least one gun, preferably with a silencer and plenty of ammo.
    Yup, that'd do it.

11. themnax

themnax Senior Member

environment. the results of our indifference and arrogance toward it. already happening. a long process. not an instant one. but happening it is.

12. magic_rocks

magic_rocks ٱللهِ ٱلرّ

The human enterprise is certainly a limited affair, and one might suspect that we have already recorded it's zenith, and possibly a very long time ago. Who is to say that our ancestors, who weathered glaciations, were not themselves in retrograde?

Our lexicons embellish an effervescent vacuity, and yet I must disagree with whomever proposed to anticipate blaming greed (a vice second only to lust and sloth) as it is an articulation of actual human nature, a fulgent paean of harmony and grace. Without greed, there is no human enterprise, no transfiguration; idyll expiation is not to be had, and most definitely not by envisaging communal eidolons dashing and fluttering about a blurry mirage in the barren boneyard of the animal heart.

13. Jimmy P

It's possible to be ambitious and enterprising without being greedy
    An insatiable desire for more is certainly more destructive than sloth

14. magic_rocks

magic_rocks ٱللهِ ٱلرّ

I only intended to suggest that greed is less noble than sloth, however slightly, being intrinsic but complimentary. Sloth is the most honorable virtue, it belies nothing, and begets none. The idyll Idler.. alone, a god among fancy beasts.

15. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

Hell, I don't. I want to be bumbling along, all happy and ignorant until one day, it goes "Ssssshhhhhppp" and fades to black. I hope if something extinguishes the human race as a whole, there are no warning sirens, because I don't want my last moments in this life to be terrifying.

16. hotwater

The planet will encounter a stellar black hole which will not only gobble up the earth but the entire the solar system :eek:

The black hole will look a lot like ms pacman :eek:

[​IMG]

Hotwater

17. Hedgeclipper

Hedgeclipper Qiluprneeels Nixw

I'm surprised at how little people are concerned about Fukushima in this poll (but then again the options other than 'other' are not very likely to be sole causes so it would make sense that people would want to elaborate). Out of what was there, though, Fukushima is by far the most concerning. If you know anything about radiation, the recent admissions that have been made about Fukushima should be very fucking distressing.

I think that, of all the environmental problems, marine ecology is the most often forgotten, least discussed and the fastest progressing issue -- and I don't just mean increasing sea-levels (because those won't affect all of us). Our biosphere is totally dependant on the stability and balance of the marine environment and with fukushima, industrial contamination, sketchy tests (like what happened off the coast of the pacific), the BP oil spill, exxon mobil, etc (did everyone forget about BP too? Just like Fukushima, that never went away and never got fully dealt with), marine life is becoming very fucked. I'd say that's the fastest progressing environmental problem with the most possibly ramifications for all of humanity (rather than only certain groups).

18. hotwater

No doubt Fukushima is some fucked up shit just like TMI and Chernobyl but it won’t lead to the demise of the human race [​IMG]

hotwater

19. roamy

roamy Senior Member

indians

20. Jimmy P

Oceans are fucked, radiation or not. We've been dumping chemicals and rubbish in the oceans for so many years, we've already made plenty of the ocean's creatures hazardous for humans to eat (mercury)

Throw in overfishing, which does not appear to be slowing down any time soon, and we were on our way to global disaster regardless of Fukushima. You're right in that the oceans getting fucked up would have some serious ramifications for all of humanity, and of course the radiation doesn't help any, but.. It would take some sort of miracle to undo all the damage we've already done to the oceans. Unless changes are made, the impact we've had on the oceans will lead to serious worldwide hunger issues in the next 50 years, not accounting for the impact Fukushima will have.

But even that won't be enough to "take us out"
    We are like cockroaches and rats