What's going on in your head when you're asleep?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Wizardofodd, Feb 5, 2019.

1. SouthPaw

SouthPaw Members

I don’t remember my dreams very often.

I woke up in a bit of shock this morning because I had a vivid dream I was back in the Army. Not kidding, had the dream and found this thread the same day.

I got out 27 years ago but some of the events and people in the dream I hadn’t even thought about since then. It was too real. I suddenly had a bunch of acronyms in my head that were long forgotten.....I woke up mad that we didn’t have a SAAF to calibrate MILES on FTX and we were missing a God gun. I’m still baffled as to why that all popped back into my head.

EDIT: Holy shit....I just realized I got out 27 years ago tomorrow! February 8, 1992.

EDIT #2: Nope, I forgot Feb 8 was a Saturday so they released me on Feb 7. I just had to stay out of trouble for 24 hours because technically I was still in the Army, but they gave me my discharge papers and let me leave on the 7th.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    Wizardofodd likes this.
  2. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

Maybe it's not a coincidence. I think your brain can definitely keep track of things in the "background".

SouthPaw likes this.
  3. We're so lucky to have brains.

4. SouthPaw

SouthPaw Members

Makes sense.

Useless trivia - the acronyms refer to needing a “Small Arms Alignment Fixture” to calibrate a “Multiple Integrated Laser Engagement System” on a “Field Training Exercise”, and a God Gun is a special type of laser transmitter. Not that it matters, just seems weird I suddenly remember hose terms almost three decades later.

5. themnax

themnax Senior Member

the greatest movie and most submersive, emercive, all senses simulation ever made.

6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Freaks me out when you have dreams about people from decades ago that you have no conscious memory of or hadnt thought about for decades

Aerianne and EloiseAtThePlaza like this.
  7. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Not a damn thing, just knocked the hell out. I rarely dream anymore.

8. themnax

themnax Senior Member

the people in my dreams, when there are people in my dreams, are almost never anyone i've ever met while awake, its just a totally different universe, where i wouldn't expect to.
    though sometimes they look like composites of different people i have. only once or twice i think i've had dreams where anyone i know from this world appeared in them.
    and then i know, in the dream and awake, its not really the same as them, just their dopplagers in a parallel universe they probably don't even know they have.

what i do see all the time in my dreams, i dream about places, and sometimes about how i make things too.
    often i dream about making things i don't have the tools or space to make in real life.

and the world not being fucked up the way people do with cars and money and cities.
    i mean there's transportation and a couple of cities, but i'm usually not in the cities.
    sometimes there are cars, sometimes they don't exist, but trains do,
    and people get to build and live in houses all different ways,
    not like what we're used to seeing.

more nature and less people, like where i grew up.

9. deviate

deviate Senior Member

How many of you smoke weed at night and don’t have dreams?

onceburned and Dustinthewind like this.
  10. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I thought for a long time my lack of dreaming could be from smoking weed but then I quit for a couple years and still didnt dream

11. deviate

deviate Senior Member

Yeah it doesn’t seem to make a difference with me either. But I have heard that quite a bit

12. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

It reduces them but not 100%. Like the more vivid dreams are easily without weed.

13. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

I think dreams are also more vivid without beer, etc too. Probably just sobriety in general allows for easier dreaming or at least being able to remember them a bit more sometimes.

14. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

You have raised an interesting subject. I always wonder whether dreams are somehow linked to heredity and what we call reincarnation.
    All of the subject matter that you dream must come from your brain, so if you do not recognize locations and musical forms, it stands to reason that they must have come from somewhere. So is their a part of our brain that links via our DNA to information that has passed down to us in some as yet unknown way.
    Around 70% of our brain is still not understood by even world leading neurologists, so as yet, all we have is hypothesis.
    Their is undeniable evidence of intelligence in the universe beyond human understanding, so how does all this link in with the origins of the human race.
    Both commercial and military airline pilots fear loosing their jobs at the slightest mention of flying saucers.
    Reincarnation programs seem to be totally banned from the media in a similar way. In the 1970's ABC television Australia broadcast an almost unbelievable documentary on the subject, but it just vanished. No amount of investigation could reveal the production company and one spokesman tried to convince me that it was all a hoax. Even hoaxes have a production company and rolls of film do not vanish into thin air. !!!!!
    Conspiracy.? I think not. More likely simple fear of the unknown.

15. I feel a lil sorry for the non dreamers.

16. Last night I had a dream I was in this river full of waterfalls and I could fly through it. It was splendid. I love to dream.

Orison and EloiseAtThePlaza like this.
  17. ^sounds beautiful

18. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

There was only one time in my life where I had a lucid dream where I could manipulate my own dream to my liking. That was amazing.

19. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

I think dreaming is often a learning process....dreams exist largely to teach us about how to handle things which may happen in the future (however improbable).

20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yeeahhh that's true. I know how to main & torture and dispose of the bodies thx to dreams. ;)