What'd you do first? MJ or Alcohol?

Discussion in 'Stoners Lounge' started by inthydreams911, Aug 24, 2013.

1. inthydreams911

inthydreams911 Senior Member

Hey guys just wanted to make a poll on what came first in your life. Mj or Alcohol? (Exclude that sip of beer your dad gave you when you were a kid) What was the first substance your really started doing?

I was thinking about this because of the ol' gateway drug idea. Now I know many go against this theory, but in my own experience I can't deny that once I tried the basics, alcohol and weed, I wanted to try more stuff to see whats its like.

But who is the real gateway drug? Weed always gets the rep, but what about Mr. Alcohol? I bet for a lot of people alcohol came first.

I will also put an "other" category to see if some if you started with Mushrooms or Coke or whatever.

So lets see, who was your "first love"?

Mine was defiantly alcohol, I was 17 when I first started drinking. I was scared of weed for awhile, it was until I was 18 I first smoked, but I had been fighting it for years. But then once I finally smoked alcohol went away and I became a pot head.

Also since I found out weed wasn't so bad it was game on to try new things. Some I am glad I found, Ie Mushrooms and Lsd. Some I wish I stayed away, ie coke and pills.

I also could put other as an answer, because I did hit Salvia right before I started drinking. I didn't really trip, but I did feel high. First experience of being in an altered state like that.

2. jimmyjoe1

jimmyjoe1 toker Lifetime Supporter

Weed definitely no1:sifone:

3. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I got high before I ever got drunk on alcohol.

4. broony

broony Banned

I drank first...

I stole a bunch of hard lemonade and took it upstairs to my room... drank them rather fast then could hardly walk strait.

I remember walking to the stairs thinking 'so this is why the parents drink every night'

Not sure how old I was..

I didn't get a chance to smoke weed tell I turned 16 and got my drivers license.. once I could drive... everything changed quick..

5. Norcal

Norcal Member

First got drunk at age 12...took 4 more years before I first got high.

6. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I tried alcohol first, I enjoyed it but I wouldn't say I 'loved' it the way I did weed initially.

From a strict sociological/scientific perspective, I think the Gateway Drug Theory is a flawed concept and so from this perspective I wouldn't consider either Marijuana or alcohol a Gateway drug. Many do start off with these drugs but moreso due to a variety of factors such as being relatively socially acceptable, cost and availability.

With that said, many people who are introduced to these drugs first, tend to experiment with other drugs as well. From what I have gathered and it's by no means without exceptions, is that those who prefer alcohol tend to seek drugs which are more of an escape, numbing and/or confidence boosting experiences, so they gravitate towards: cocaine, speed, Opioids, benzos, etc.

Those who prefer Marijuana often seek drugs which they perceive to have more depth to them, more mind manifesting qualities, and natural drugs: Mushrooms, LSD, Mescaline, etc.

7. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

sugar

8. Meliai

Meliai Banned

i smoked weed first. I knew too many alcoholics when I was a kid so alcohol wasn't remotely appealing to me as a teenager. I didn't really care for it even after I finally tried it. I didn't start enjoying alcohol until I turned 21 and discovered good beer and wine.

9. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

I was hanging out with my cousin and his older brother who was in high school offered me some vodka. We are about 11 so of course he was cool because he was older.
    I did a few shots and played video games drunk. I did not like it at all and could not see what the fuss was about. A few years later I tried weed and loved it, I knew this was my drug.

10. tryptamines

tryptamines Member

I never drank.
    I smoked weed rather late at 18, but fell in love with it. Wasn't a pothead, but oh I loved getting incredibly stoned when the opportunity arose.

I actually despised weed until I tried it.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Tapatalk 4

11. TopNotchStoner

TopNotchStoner Georgia Homegrown

I agree with this post, to an extent. IF marijuana is a "gateway drug", the only reason it can be viewed in such a light is the fact that it's illegal. Some people are obviously gonna move onto harder drugs, regardless of legality, but my point is the fact that weed is illegal makes many people view it in the same way as they view cocaine, heroin, etc. Some people smoke weed and think to themselves "hmmmmm...........the government says marijuana is dangerous, but that's obviously a lie, so maybe the government is lying about the dangers of these other drugs. I think I'll get some crack and find out for myself". If weed was completely legal, for both medicinal and recreational purposes, then I think there would be fewer alcoholics, fewer cases of addiction to prescription drugs, etc.. Prohibition and misinformation/disinformation are more dangerous than any drug could ever be, imo.

12. TopNotchStoner

Also, I smoked weed before I ever drank any alcohol. I was 15 when I first smoked weed, but I didn't drink any alcohol until I was 19.

13. inthydreams911

inthydreams911 Senior Member

This is exactly what happened to me. Its not like weed makes you physically want to try other drugs. Its just like quote, I thought weed was gonna make me stupid, and forget life, and shit like that. Then I realized weed didn't make you stupid, it just put you in a different state of mind.

All the paranoia was for nothing. So yes I tried other drugs thinking they would be nothing as well. But some drugs really do fuck you up! I think sometimes maybe I shouldn't of tried some of things I tried.

Another thing is things get boring. If you smoke weed everyday, there comes a point where your like, this is getting repetitive, let me try something new. But thats why you got to work on moderation, so things don't get so old and repetitive.

14. TopNotchStoner

I'm the opposite. When I have weed, I'm not even thinking about other drugs. I could do nothing but smoke weed all day, everyday for the rest of my life and I'd be completely satisfied. Weed is my favorite of the ~50 or so drugs I've used. It's perfect for every situation:sifone: That's not to say I don't love LSD and other psychedelics, but weed is #1.

Regarding your statement about weed getting boring and repetitive........boredom is the root of all evil, as I like to say. lol Like I said in my previous post, if weed were legal, there would still be people who would use other drugs.

15. Nyxx

Nyxx HELLO STALKER

:ssmokeit: THIS :sunny:

16. Rudenoodle

Rudenoodle Minister of propaganda Lifetime Supporter

Beers and korean liquor one fifth of July in a time that seems a lifetime ago, stolen from coolers left over from a fourth of July party.

17. OlderWaterBrother

OlderWaterBrother May you drink deeply Lifetime Supporter

During the holidays, my parents when fixing drinks would also fix the children one alcoholic drink with enough alcohol to taste and feel a little warm, so I never had the feeling that drinking alcohol was only for adults and that drinking it would mean I was now an "adult".

Now being little older, I grew up when drugs were not as prevalent as they are now and didn't even hear about "maritijuana" until I was in college and in fact did LSD first, so for me, LSD was the gateway drug to marijuana. [​IMG]

18. OlderWaterBrother

OlderWaterBrother May you drink deeply Lifetime Supporter

I think the main thing is accurate information and knowledge and not so much whether something is legal or not.

In my day marijuana was so demonized ("Reefer Madness") it was like you said, you do little weed and the first thing you think is; "if they were this wrong about marijuana then what about all the other drugs they have condemned?".

It is a shame that this has led some to take drugs that are actually worse than what they have been told.

19. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I think this raises a variable which I don't feel I'm particularly effected by due to laws and the culture in my geographical location. For an illegal drug, weed doesn't carry anywhere near the stigma of other illegal drugs such as heroin or cocaine in California. We have medicinal marijuana, paraphenelia shops in most all the major cities, some laxed laws for possession under a certain amount, etc. So I think we have by law and our culture in Cali, made a distinction between weed and other illegal drugs. I don't really get the impresssion that many have tried harder drugs here due to the fact of weed being illegal, but I could see where maybe that type of view could happen in a location with stricter laws and a more demonized culture of marijuana.

There has been a few specials recently on CNN which has portrayed weed in a fairly positive light, so I think more balanced information on weed is becoming more widespread

20. TopNotchStoner

Yeah, I live in Georgia. lol I got caught with a single roach and was arrested, spent ~20 days in jail(I was actually sentenced to 120 days, but it would've been 2-for-1, so I should've been in jail for 60 days. Someone fukt up with the paperwork though, so I was released after ~20 days), put on probation for two years, and had to pay almost $2000 in fines. In Georgia, you get the book thrown at you for weed.