What Year Would You Like To Be Teleported To And Why?

Discussion in 'The Future' started by Jimbee68, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Doesn't mean its guaranteed to support life that long. One good (i mean bad) asteroid collision and it could already be finished.

2. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Projecting Climate Change out a few thousand years on the current trajectory doesn't exactly sound pleasant either.

3. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

But the earth will still be here. We're just fleas on this dog

themnax and Tyrsonswood like this.
  4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

How useful and comforting for those who choose to be teleported in a future where Earth is inhabitable :p

jagerhans likes this.
  5. themnax

themnax Senior Member

ah, but not neccessarily by today's humans. nor as one.
    don't worry. it won't take that long. the one thing its not too late to choose, is whether humans will be among the meek who inherit it.

6. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I’d go back in time to Southampton, Virginia in the month of August of 1831 to fight alongside Nat Turner.

His slave uprising may have succeeded if he and his recruits had the necessary training and weaponry .

Armed with assault rifles, multi-threat level body armor, Mossberg 940 12 Ga shotguns, Ruger M77 Hawkeye long-range rifles, handguns, and plenty of ammo,
    we would sweep across the countryside freeing slaves and the slave owners would eventually have to sue for peace.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  7. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Ahhhhhhh I would love to goto 1981 . I would buy 1000s of dollars worth of plain M&Ms!!!!!

I would buy tons of golden grain 'macaroni and chedder' (My favourite ever)

I just would hope when I came back to now I would still have all of it!!

neonspectraltoast likes this.
  8. themnax

themnax Senior Member

the year 200 of the baha'i calander. just out of curiousity. its not to far distant, but just far enough i'm not likely to live to see it otherwise.
    that's only the year 2044 in our current calander. since the one in question began in 1844.

just curious to see if we will have created a perminent foothold for our species beyond our planet, how far along the ecopocalyps has progressed.
    even 2063 might be to soon to be entirely on the other side of it, but it might not too.

how much of what we are now will remain. how much of my own impressions will have turned out to be right or wrong and why they did.
    well a hundred years, i was born in 1948, and people do occasionally life that long, but i'm not expecting to.

life is generally too short, and i would like to see what develops, what we're likely to have done, within maybe a life time further on.
    its easy to assume little or nothing will have changed, but for at least some things it isn't going to be possible for them not to have.

because finite resources of a single world cannot support infinite increase of its sapient population.
    so you've got this irresistable force, that i highly suspect is not all that irresistable after all,
    meeting an absolutely immovable object, sometime in the next less then a hundred years,
    (and thereby "eco-pocalypse")
    and i'd be really curious to see that world that will be here after the dust from that settles.

i can imagine and create in my mind that world. by the real universe is never bound by what my mind can extract.
    so i'd just be really really curious to see.

not that it will likely really matter to me once i'm an infant or child in another life on another world among other species and cultures and beliefs,
    each entirely in their own way.

i really see not much point in visiting some time and place in the past, where it wouldn't be harmless for me to interact with it.
    but sure, there are places and times it might be fun to play tourist, but really that pales if you can't really do anything with or about it.

Asmodean likes this.
  9. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

2 different years:

In my lifetime I would like to travel back to the year 2000 and correct the direction of my path in my life I was heading down. If I had the knowledge then that I do now, I’d be living the high life today.

Outside my lifetime, I wouldn’t mind going back to 1948-55 when Love culture was at its strongest in the post war era, a man earning minimum wage could buy a cottage and a car, and American culture was more wholesome.

10. themnax

themnax Senior Member

well you're right that anyone earning more then the poorest ten percent could easily afford to buy a small house, and didn't have to have a car. ($29.00 a month on a 30 year fixed)
    most people in the late 40s to mid 50s thought that world was either going to end by 1984, or technology would give us a fairyland where you could do and have anything you want.
    there wasn't any enforced minimum wage though, and how you were treated on the job, was, depending on where you worked, was up to you to know when to quit and move on, or that was what unions were for. oddly enough, most places you worked, you could continue working there and getting promotions every few years, for the rest of your life. not a guarantee, but the odds were good. and healthcare was affordable ($99.00 for a week in the hospital, including everything, and the average income was $450.00 a month), and everybody went to public schools, other then the extremely rich, and even most of their kids did, parks, libraries, public transportation all were a real thing, i mean not like they still exist, but like they were a major part of everyone's everyday culture. and i think anyone living in america in 1950 looking at america today, once they got past the superficial eye candy of today's technology, would likely conclude we have become a third world country, and capitalism only works for everybody when you have more then 80 percent of the population in a real middle class, which is what ended with the election of raygun.

11. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

a mid-nineties rave might be cool... But only if I could teleport back again when the party's over. :sunglasses:

guerillabedlam likes this.
  12. 1776 because it is the beginning of what I believe is the greatest nation on this Earth. c:
    1776HistoricalUSFlagWaving_Big.gif fl.gif

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2020
  13. Lodog

Lodog ¿

We're back at 20 AD per the israelies. So 2000 years off.

14. WhatJustHappened

WhatJustHappened Members

The trouble with a mid nineties rave.....
    The party was never over!
    Many a Friday night was still happening well into Sunday afternoon. Just as you felt like you were all back together, blam, it’s Friday again!
    Parties that went on for several days were overly common, get ready go out, get mangled, leave at the end, go home, take friends!
    Retrieve stash, turntables on.........
    Buzzin hard by mid morning......

Then somebody had the idea that Thursday was the new Friday. The fun stopped when they banned smoking inside, 1000 sweaty ravers not cloaked in smoke, smells like 1000 sweaty ravers and rotten beer.

I’d go back in time as far as to the day I started smoking......
    Then I’d slap myself silly.
    Which would be weird?
    Future me kicking the crap out of a kid who is also me.
    I hope that doesn’t muck up the space time continuum!

soulcompromise likes this.
  15. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

my concern would be that your younger, healthy lung version might end up winning the fight.

16. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

1914, go to Sarajevo and tip the police about a certain Gavrilo Princip and his buddies. No WWI, WWII , with all the consequences. Hoping not to unlock an even worse alternative chain of events.

17. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Like a totally different WW1?

18. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

No cold war, no Korea, no Vietnam.

19. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

Imagine that WWI happened years later, but with nukes.

20. I would travel to 84 with a few bucks and munch on some Donkey Kong Jr cereal.