What will you miss in the Future?

Discussion in 'The Future' started by skip, Jul 9, 2018.

1. morrow

morrow Visitor

My parents, grandparents.... that's because it's already the future.
    The future is now, it's always tomorrow!

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

morrow likes this.
  3. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

youth...

Irminsul likes this.
  4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Sorry... I don't recall.

5. themnax

themnax Senior Member

well i don't know about the future, but i can thing of a whole bunch of things i already miss, that have only disappeared in the last decade or two, some more recent then that.
    being able to travel anonymously in the us. that used to be something the country prided itself on. being able to buy an intercity bus ticket on the spur of the moment and just go.
    lots of things being affordable, if only second hand. security in old age, even if you never made into an upper tax bracket.
    cars, hospitals, housing, schools, all were not long ago within reach of ordinary incomes.
    brick and mortar store fronts. the sears anchor store at our local mall just closed up shop, and even brookstone had to move out.
    model train hobby shops; there still one 200 miles away, fifteen years ago, there were three in my town, and one right next door.
    books and magazenes, all kinds and subjects, a fast lunch for less then five dollars.
    less then a thousand dollars an acre land, and not 500 miles from the nearest well either.

being able to sleep and eat and breathe. we've sort of still got those, at least some of us do, but for how long?

6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

zager and evans, in the year 2525. not just the single. the whole album was good. too bad there was only one.
    "in my house i like to sit with the curtains all drawn, caus i ain't got no windows and i aint got no lawn"
    and "thinking of when, i would thaw out my friends" were also songs on there.

7. RetiredHippie

RetiredHippie Hick

Not peeing my pants.

8. quark

quark Parts Unknown

The idea I had of what the future would be like.

9. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

It all depends on what happens

10. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

A future without a past has always haunted me, at best, everything is deja vu all over again.

11. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

My youth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I my insanity

13. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The great sport of watching,listening to and making fun of an idiots attempt to appear as an actual human. Have to admit--even with the danger we are now in---this has been/ is / and will continue be a hell of a spectator sport!

(please hurry, Mr Mueller.)

14. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Physical media. I expect to be around while it's still a thing but I feel for future generations.

15. themnax

themnax Senior Member

a lot of what we mistakenly call civilization. anything that cannot be created in you own village by less then a dozen people.
    (unless you can find it in the ruins somewhere and know enough about it yourself to make it functional again, if its even something that can be at all)

anyone to look after you and keep you warm when you're no longer able to do so for yourself, unless you have living relatives and you can get along with them.
    there are too many things i won't miss that things i will miss currently depend upon.
    its difficult to think about them seperately.

some of the losses will have silver linings that will even be gains.

life not being as easy as we're used to in some of the ways we're used to taking for granted.
    time doesn't run in a streight line. there are speed bumps.

cell phones, television, the power grid, there's a good chance these things won't outlast the ecopocalypse.
    mass produced automobiles and paved roads to drive them on and gas stations to fuel them at.
    banks and credit cards. i might not personally miss any of those things, but they're things that depend upon our environmentally unsustainable population level.

replacements will be found for what's really needed of them. maybe even for what is actually enjoyed of them.
    so many things that will be both good and bad at the same time to have changed will have.

there are a lot of things that don't need to be lost if people don't turn against the knowledge of them.
    but the infrastructure to support the ways of doing them we're familiar with, that's almost certainly going to be gone.

the whole infrastructure of money thing, people are going to be hardest hit who can't or won't see beyond the box of it.

there are some things i won't try to predict except that when they're done on the local level, each place will be more likely to have its own ways of doing them differently.

16. Toasted Oats

Toasted Oats Members

If everything collapses like I think it will, toilet paper. Got kinda used to having it handy,

1.jpg

17. wooleeheron

Don't worry, the government will send you more.

18. I am going to miss pay phones. So convenient

19. wooleeheron

What are those?

Toasted Oats and Rahab like this.
  20. Glass booths with phones in them. They are great for lots of things, especially wild animals. Great place to hide out