What was it like in the Haight/LA/hippie enclaves at the height of the counterculture and scene?

Discussion in 'Flashbacks' started by hippiemoonbeam, Jan 16, 2022.

1. hippiemoonbeam

hippiemoonbeam Members

I wasnt even born yet, but can someone tell me what the Haight and the surrounding areas was like at the time? I get a picture of people who are barefoot, chanting, incense wafting, people getting into tarot, and just living it up. How close is what the media portrays about the time actually accurate for those who were on the ground at the time and in the scene?

2. tjr1964

tjr1964 Members

My older siblings used to run up to the Laurel Canyon area, LA's Counter Culture paradise. They hung out with the folks in the Mamma and Pappas, Love, members of the Byrds with their friends . Having a great time with their friends and the people there .

But from what they tell me, it ended with the Mansion Family murders .

3. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Many of the ones that actually made things happen there back in the 60s used to post here on Church of the Good Earth. Might be able to find some of their conversations---Ask Zen how to do so. ( they don't post anymore):(

I was living in Santa Cruz in part of the late 60s and used to go up to Frisco ---for concerts---Joplin and many others.

tjr1964 likes this.
  4. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I had so many adventures during the 60s--70s---walked / hung around the Haight for a bit--drove across Canada with 4 other hippie types--lived in Hawaii for years during those days--. I have a million stories with no one to tell them to.:)

MeAgain and tjr1964 like this.
  5. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I enjoy them! Been many of those places but only after bloom of the flower people was over. Lived with vestiges of it in Missoula and Olympia.

scratcho likes this.
  6. tjr1964

tjr1964 Members

Start posting them !!!!

scratcho and granite45 like this.
  7. tjr1964

tjr1964 Members

As some Tribal Elders told me, Hippies were a threat to White Colonials thinking, were out to bring better inter Human skills, compassion and justice against a Colonial mindset that is now poisoning their own kind.

When one goes against Colonial Establishmen ideals with threats of peace, just and equality .... it's a threat that they can not handle .

scratcho likes this.