What was it like in 1979?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by RainyDayHype, Jun 21, 2013.

1. odonII

odonII O

What is your age?

:leaving:

2. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

In '79 I was starting college, could get just about any droogs in almost any quantity within a day if not an hour, girls a-plenty :D, and shit was not too bad overall.

I agree with the other old stoners about Columbian weed, and real Thai sticks.:bigcry:

I remember KROQ in L.A. when it really was a no format, dj's play whatever the fuck they want radio station, not the crap it is today. Had a buddy who was friends with Rodney Bingenheimer and others there and we sometimes would go down and hang out in the middle of the night.

I'm gonna guess I'm about one of the first members here to have seen Van Halen perform live.
    It was 1974 and I was in 7th grade and VH was a barely heard of teen garage band in LA/Orange county. They would often play shit gigs for quick cash, like most garage bands. One of those gigs was at my school for some special lunch hour concert thing the school did from time to time.
    They weren't too bad, but Eddies guitar playing stood out. Who would have thought that in a few years...........

Odon, you miss the point about VH and why they are mentioned so much.
    It was the new style of rock and method of playing that Eddie Van Halen developed.
    He developed a completely unique and new style, so much so that within seconds you can recognize Eddy's guitar style and that is what makes the group so famous and why they have stood the test of time.
    That same principle applies to all genres of music. It's the innovators who have a unique sound that survive and to become world famous.
    Artist who adopt others styles, no matter how talented, often fade into obscurity.

3. odonII

odonII O

I do understand that quite a lot of people get huge boners from listenting to -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_lwocmL9dQ"]Eruption Guitar Solo--Eddie Van Halen - YouTube

I do appreciate that many would say they were a huge influence etc etc etc ...

I wasn't trying to devalue VH.

I was just simply bored of always hearing about the same people.

That's all.

4. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Aw ya had to go and say it huh...:bigcry: 15 bucks a stick...heavenly

Unique, but never betraying his blues sensibility. Something a lot of todays 'shredders' seem to have forgotten. When you can no longer hear blues in the music, it's no longer rock.