What was it like in 1979?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by RainyDayHype, Jun 21, 2013.

1. junglejack

junglejack aiko aiko

View attachment 51769

The NYC snowstorm of 79- -city was at a standstill- -no transportation, no garbage p/ups , lottsa maniacs running around, pretty much total anarchy when the power went out- -ahh, the good old days!

2. odonII

odonII O

Gongshaman

What were they doing on a world tour in 1978?
    Ok, ok, it wasn't really a stab at VH.
    Just the fact that VH et al get mentioned A LOT.
    Whereas CT don't seem to be. Not even Elizabeth Fraser.
    I guess VH have been touring for the last - gosh most of my life time, where as Elizabeth Fraser hasn't.
    I can understand why VH would be played on mainstream radio in the U.S in 1979 and CT wouldn't.
    I just think you would be surprised how influential both CT and Elizabeth Fraser have been - perhaps a little quieter.

Good grief, no.

I wasn't bad mouthing anybody, btw.

It just would have been nice to read the unusual suspects for a change - instead of Men, Men, Men, Man and Men etc etc.

Cocteau Twins & Harold Budd - Memory Gongs ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbgSwJa_HS0"]Cocteau Twins & Harold Budd - Memory Gongs - YouTube

3. odonII

odonII O

Maybe not this woman o_O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SQuFjH3AUA"]Margaret Thatcher Arrives At Downing Street (1979) - YouTube

4. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

I was born in '79. That is what happened.

5. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Van halen didnt get huge until 1984, which was like their 6th album, '79 they were nobodys

6. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member

7. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

Odon, I don't like Van Halen, but I would rather listen to his music on repeat all day than listen to that song you posted again.

You want female musicians from 79?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqEDj2DEUMw"]Fleetwood Mac - Largo, MD 1979 - Sisters of the Moon - YouTube

8. odonII

odonII O

I like her too.

:D

I posted that one because it was an early e.g.

I much prefer her when she isn't singing through her nose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H33xhb5L9w"]【LIVE】Massive Attack - Teardrop (Elizabeth Fraser) - YouTube

9. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

1979? I was still in school, still living at home with my parents in a boring little town, and had very little money or personal freedom. All my best years were still to come.

Musically, 1979 was the best year of Donna Summer's career. Rod Stewart was hot also. Van Halen had made a good first impression, while people were starting to get tired of the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac because FM radio played them too damn much. I changed the station every time the Bee Gees came on, because they were nauseating. Michael Jackson was getting his solo career going, but Lionel Richie was still with the Commodores.

Everybody I knew thought Jimmy Carter was a weak and ineffective President, letting himself get jerked around by Iran.

Don't forget about Heart. Also, Pat Benatar had her first hit at the end of the year.

10. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I was already married for 5 years because most hippies had already gone "underground", never to rise again; and I got bored.

President Jimmy Carter was attacked by a rabbit while fishing.... Carter was fishing, not the rabbit. The rabbit was hunting.

A massive nuclear attack of 2,200 Soviet missiles was detected by NORAD, interceptor forces were alerted and 10 fighters were launched. The National Emergency Airborne Command Post (NEACP), took off from Andrews Air Force Base, but forgot the president and secretary of defense. Three more attacks took place later in the year.
    Most of us survived but apparently the smallpox virus was eradicated by all the radiation.

The Japanese were unaware of the attacks on the U.S. as they were all running around listening to ABBA on their new Walkmans.

An oil well in the Gulf of Mexico released 176,400,000 gallons of oil into the pristine waters, safeguards were put into place so that it could never happen again.

And so it goes....But everything worked out well because McDonald's introduced the Happy Meal in '79 and we've all been in good moods since then.​

11. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

I tend to agree...but I like a bunch of VH stuff so, not quite the disparity lol

Sorry Odon old boy...;)

12. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

I remember hearing this on the radio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAH4Ix0kgiA"]Led Zeppelin - All My Love (Studio Version - Best Quality) - YouTube

13. odonII

odonII O

I can see your guitar. I understand. Did you not like that Gong track I posted ? :D

14. Gongshaman

pretty sure there were no actual gongs used in that piece.;)

As electronic soundscapes go, it's a'ight I guess..:2thumbsup:

15. calgirl

calgirl Senior Member

I graduated high school, moved in with a boyfriend, totaled my 1969 Ford Maverick, went to Wash DC/Smithsonian, tried deer hunting, had an unconfirmed miscarriage.

16. Gongshaman

:confused: other kids were experimenting with drugs and you were experimenting with deer hunting? lol :p

17. calgirl

calgirl Senior Member

ha.....i was a pot head by then, but not so much that I couldn't try deer hunting.

Oh, and did Rocky Horror Picture show come out that year?

18. Gongshaman

:smilielol5:

19. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

1979 was the year of the Three Mile Island Nuclear Accident. I lived in the Finger Lakes area of New York State at the time and we were wondering if there was a meltdown if we would have to move and where to move.

20. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Speaking of Three mile Island, I was at work about 12 miles north of the plant when the announcement was made of a "potential for serious radiological consequences". That was about 7:00AM, but no one really what was going on for several hours.

Schools weren't closed and a voluntarily evacuation wasn't declared for 28 hours after the first radioactive release, we grabbed the cat and headed for Pittsburgh.

Didn't know if we'd ever see our house again as there was that big hydrogen bubble that might explode.

[​IMG]