What was it like for you to learn how to drive?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by wiccan_witch, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

I got a learners permit at 16 and by 17 had my permanent license. My Dad pretty well taught me to drive but when it came to parking we had a major fall out.

He told me to pull up between these two rocks, not kidding and then back up and park. You could not see the two rocks once you pulled up to them. He hollered and I parked the car and walked home. My mom then called and I had lessons to learn how to park. Right after that I passed the driving test and have driven ever since.

It is rather funny now but at the time I sure was not. :)

2. nz male

nz male Senior Member

Got my licence when I was 23 & it was easier then to get one than now.
    There are more stages to go thru in NZ before you are fully qualified to drive on your own & the insurance for younger drivers depends on the size engine the car they own has. It took about 1 hour for me to get my licence to drive & that included a written & then practical drive test after I passed the written section.
    And it was so much cheaper & faster 30 odd years ago to obtain.

3. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

This is exactly right. It's quite difficult and expensive to get a license in NZ. The reason why I didn't get my license as soon as it was my birthday? Because the lessons are really expensive and my mother refused to teach me. Hope that answers the question of whoever asked. :2thumbsup:

4. Burnt

Burnt Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I got my license to drive at sixteen, taught myself to drive a stick at seventeen and then taught myself to drive a Semi at twenty five. Then I had a mental break after years of a delivery driver for a construction equipment company and now am afraid to leave the city.

Yay.

But I do wish you luck in acquiring your license, for me when receiving it was a sense of freedom and still is, kind of, but thats just me.

5. My names Cory

My names Cory Senior Member

Well, I have an idea.. as I do not have my license lol. However, I still drive occasionally! lol

6. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

it was sorta like this...

[​IMG]

and this...

[​IMG]

combined.

my parents were pretty disappointed obviously.

[​IMG]

7. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

What does it take to get a driving license for a car in your country?

Here you have to be 17,5 years old to enroll in a driving school. /10€
    After enrolling, you need to do this:
    - a theory course (20h), organized by d. school and then pass a written test on the theory. Those tests are administered by municipality, not the d. school. /40€ + 32€
    - a first aid course, organized by Red Cross. At the end you have to pass a test, which consists of written and oral parts and practical demonstration of CPR. /30€ + 52€
    - have a health check and get a health permit for driving, given by a designated doctor /40€
    - start practical driving lessons (min. 16h) with driving instructor in a driving school's car. Those cars are a bit different, because the instructor has his own set of pedals. /min. 300€
    - pass a d. school's driving test
    - pass a municipality's driving test. You can take this test after being 18 years old (legal age). /16€

All together it is minimally 520€ = $678. Not cheap.

8. magic_rocks

magic_rocks ٱللهِ ٱلرّ

I never practiced or take lessons to familiarize myself with how to manoeuver a vehicle as it's something I did illegally in my youth and by observation coupled with an inclination to intuitive mechanical facility it was something that has always come 'naturally' to me; however, I did practice once for about twenty minutes with my son's mother as she was teaching me how to operate the pedals and stick to a manual transmission. This I performed flawlessly from the start, save for only a single mistake that occurred when I first attempted to put the car in reverse. As for the license test, I technically failed it with three major mistakes (including speeding up to make a right turn at a light which had turned red, and hitting the obstacle at the rear as I parallel parked) but I took the test in N.E. Philadelphia and that guy looked more strung out than I did, and when we pulled back into the lot he said "I give you an A+" lol. I was 21 at the time; I had incurred a DUI at the age of 15 which prevented me from obtaining a license for a further 6 years. Then, within something like a week or two, I had that occur which resulted in my receiving a felony conviction of hit and run, and lost my license for another 5 years (which ended up becoming reduced to 4), so I've not had my license very long, relatively, that is.

9. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

Hey, that reminded me, my mom let me stalk my crush when I was learning how to drive, lol. He lived down the street from my grandma, so I'd always start on his street. I'd also squeal with delight when he was outside, especially when he didn't have a shirt on. I was only 15, but it's still pretty creepy. lol

10. TAZER-69

TAZER-69 Listen To Your Heart! Lifetime Supporter

I would drive an old truck around the house when I was around ten, on the farms if you was driving farm equipment or a truck you didn't need a license if you was doing farm work. Those laws have changed since then. I was driving on the back roads at 14 and got my license at 16.

11. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

My dad used to let me drive when I was 8 years old out in the country so he could shoot his shotgun out the window of the car. (hip gallery shows how big I was at that age). I soon learned how to hot wire all the cars in my extended family and would gather up some friends when I was around 10 and cruise around when the family was away from home. This was in the 40s and my town had about 1800 people and it was all country around there. Only got caught once. Once when my dad got drunk and passed out down town in his car, a cop came to get me to drive him home when I was 12. Differant times,for sure.

12. slappysquirrel

slappysquirrel Senior Member

i learned to drive in driver's ed

yeah,, it sucked

13. thereaperman44

thereaperman44 Member

I was 17/18 when I learned to drive. long story short my first driving test got me 5 majors and 18 minors a total fail. 7 months later I passed with 6 minors. cost me £1500 by the time it was all said and done and that was 9 years ago.
    driving - a necessary evil but not an enjoyable past time

14. slappysquirrel

slappysquirrel Senior Member

btw, i dont drive,dont own a car.

fuck it, i hate driving and,, i dont need a car. car= another way the gov't has you by the ballz

15. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

i don't like driving cages either, kinda of an evil "necessity" for me, makes me feel like

[​IMG]

16. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

When I was 8 or 9 my Dad taught me to drive on some rough trails in the high Rockies, both in his '73 F100 and his buddies '74 Blazer. A great way to learn how to handle an automobile is driving on trails that do everything they can to throw you off of them.

When I was 11 my mom taught me how to drive her '67 Beetle on the Streets of Denver. She had just had her umpteenth DUI and wanted me to drive her around so she could concentrate on gettin fucked up. They always said that if you could master the clutch of an old Beetle you could handle any transmission out there.

A couple years later after moving to Kentucky, my uncle started taking me to street races in his '69 Hemi Barracuda. Learning to run that car at top speed across backwoods country roads will forever be some of the fondest memories of my life.

When I was 14 I bought my first car and started driving illegally. It wasn't hard considering I lived in a 3 stop light town. I even drove to school my freshmen year. Just parked a block away from school and no one knew the difference.

I got my permit the very day I became eligible, and the same with my license. I could never understand why anyone would wait to start driving. To me it's the very essence of freedom.

17. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

It's kind of cool how all the Americans on here learnt to drive when they were so young! I suppose it's difficult to get around the US without a car.

NZ is tiny, and you can get pretty much everywhere by bus,boat or ferry. Although a car definitely makes it easier.

18. thereaperman44

thereaperman44 Member

it costs about £25 per hour to learn to drive in the UK these days, i was lucky i learned when i did and for my early twenties there was nothing cooler than having a car with the windows down blasting out whatever i wanted going where ever i wanted......still got the key to that car just incase i accidentally wake up in 2005

19. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Still Got The Keys To Every Car, Bus, Van, Ute, Motorbike I Have Ever Owned

Just In Case I Need To Go Back 49 Years...[​IMG]

Cheers Glen.

20. FreshDacre

FreshDacre Senior Member

Haha you guys are sick haha today was insane Im watching Black Sheep with David Spade and Chris Farley right now I been through hell and heaven alike I was listening to Wolfgang Gartner right now my favorite song eves right a minute ago I feel lucky to be kicking it right now we are all lucky as hell to be alive.. haha no joke spotted hellof channel cloos today let alone the movie im on right now. The answer to it is crystal clear I did not smoke a hit of mj today and get way to stoned. I got sick and a bloody nose forgetting to get back and take my meds. Also met some funny ass people today at my friends and saw old friends partying. Im too good for all those harder drugs and stuff tho. I did lose my hat tho trying to achieve drugs I will admit that.. At least right... :( :)