What type of shoes do you wear if you are not barefoot

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by slartibartfas0815, Jul 21, 2013.

1. slartibartfas0815

slartibartfas0815 Member

About 20°F (-5°C) is the coldest last year I experienced (daytime). I don't plan to get any shoes now, perhaps I can make it through winter 100% barefoot. Flip-flops in case I can't ... if I find some then, most stores don't have them anymore.

2 people like this.
  2. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

I just discovered nufoot slip on shoes! I am ordering a pair immediately!

1 person likes this.
  3. slartibartfas0815

slartibartfas0815 Member

Looks like a good alternative to going barefoot. I'll stay barefoot, though. :)

4. Mattekat

I have no other options at work, so I thought these might trick everyone into thinking I'm wearing full shoes. They technically meet all the requirements that my work shoes need to with their anti slip soles.

5. Mattekat

I just ordered my nufoot shoes and should have them in 1 or 2 weeks. I got the ballet flats and the betsy lou version with the strap. I found them on amazon for a lot less money too!

6. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Are theirs much different from the ones everybody else makes? I have a bunch of soft, minimalist ballet flats in different colors for winter, various brands.

7. Mattekat

Well it has no sole at all. It's basically a neoprene slipper that fits like a sock, but looks a bit more shoelike than that. It does have antislip bottoms though.

1 person likes this.
  8. slartibartfas0815

slartibartfas0815 Member

Reminds me of some "water shoes/surf shoes" I had a couple of years ago. Very lightweight, water resistant (of course), thin rubber sole and cheap (only a few euros). But for normal wear they were not really suitable, the neopren began to rip after two weeks of wear and after about a month they were not wearable anymore (wore them until they fell off my feet).

9. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Most ordinary ballet flats seem to wear out rather quickly on the bottom if you walk a lot, but that isn't a problem around the office as long as nobody knows about it. I have a favorite pair with big holes in the soles, and I've worn them to important meetings many times. Nobody ever had a clue, because they look fine on the top and sides. So yeah, I can make something like that work.

2 people like this.
  10. Mattekat

These are meant for indoor wear only. I can definitely see them wearing out fast outside. For the price, I don't mind if they rip though. Most other barefoot style shoes I found cost a lot more and seemed to have more of a real sole. I'm hoping this will be like getting away with wearing socks at work sort of.

1 person likes this.
  11. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

I'm in charge of the office thermostat, so my need for indoor shoes is limited, no matter how cold it gets. When I have to go out and visit business clients, depending on how stiff and formal the company is, I have to wear 3-inch spike heels or higher. Some companies don't seem to give a fuck about shoes, as long as the dress looks nice, so I can get more comfortable there. If I'm spending the rest of my day in the office and at home (typical), no shoes are needed. That's why my nicest shoes have dark footprints on their light colored linings.

I once had a corporate office job for a few years where they required all women to wear 2.5 inch heels (or higher) every day, and most of us went with 4-inch platform pumps. We wore them when walking in and out of the building, and to meetings. The rest of the day, we kept those monsters stashed under our desks, and worked barefoot. Ridiculous situation. Nobody should have to regularly wear something like that. Spend too many hours of your life in high heels, and you end up with feet that look like they've been run over by a truck. A lot of older women end up needing surgery because of that.

12. slartibartfas0815

slartibartfas0815 Member

Yes, they are really quite cheap. Perhaps I'll get a pair of those Aquashoes again in case we get heavy snow or whatever.

13. Mattekat

Yeah I'm still trying to decide what I'll get for actual snow walking. It can get quite slushy in the streets so I would prefer something waterproof.

14. slartibartfas0815

slartibartfas0815 Member

Try flip-flops, water wouldn't do anything to them. ;) No kidding, I wore ff in snow before. If you don't have to walk for a long time and if it's not too cold, it's fun.

1 person likes this.
  15. slartibartfas0815

slartibartfas0815 Member

:)

There's a fellow student, she wears the same ballet flats every day since I know her. ;) They are really worn out now also at the top and sides. Big holes in the soles, too. And the soles are beginning to come off in the back. But she still wears them ...

16. Mattekat

No it is like -40°c here in winter sometimes and slush and snow can be very deep. Real shoes are required sadly.

17. slartibartfas0815

slartibartfas0815 Member

Okay, can understand that. Here we have no snow on the streets most of the winter and if, it's not really deep. So you can get away with almost all kinds of footwear. In the last years I never had "winter shoes". Wore flip-flops, espadrilles, those aqua shoes I talked about and even shoes totally falling apart, I walked on socks only or barefoot (the latter not in snow yet). This year I'll try to get along without shoes at all. :) If temps stay relatively high, chances are good. :)

18. Mattekat

I want to see some snowfooting pictures later! I'm going to try it on drier days if I can.

2 people like this.
  19. Shakti_Om

Shakti_Om Local Pixie

Snow footing is okay here in the UK where we get a 'flutter', slush or a couple of inches, but in Canada.......that'll be fun!!

Sx

1 person likes this.
  20. bfs420somd

bfs420somd Members

When I must... Flip flops. Even in winter.

1 person likes this.