What type of shelter do you prefer to use?

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by NewAgeHippie2200, Aug 22, 2005.

1. NewAgeHippie2200

NewAgeHippie2200 Member

What type of shelter do you prefer to use when you are camping? For me a tent.

2. Wetbikerider

Wetbikerider Member

anything as long as my Smith Wesson 44 magnum is tuck next to me. Tent [​IMG][​IMG]

3. soulofthetrees33

soulofthetrees33 Member

right now, tent. I will be building a home in the trees tho.... that will then be my favorite...

4. Zoomie

Zoomie My mom is dead, ok?

Yurt.

5. SandalScout

SandalScout Member

nothing, but if I have to , my tarp.

6. happyhippiegrl

happyhippiegrl Member

I perfer sleeping under the stars in the open air. If it rains I'll sleep under a tarp.

7. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Member

i usually set up a tarp...just incase it rains, but falling asleep under the stars is the bestest feeling in the world!!!!

8. guitarslinger

guitarslinger Schwa

[​IMG]

I gotta tent that always comes too

9. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

A tarp is real nice for wilderness camping, not heavy to cary in.

not confining. One can better experience the forest.
    while privacy is unnecessary in deep woods.

If one is worried about bears and coyotes, set off some fireworks.
    the smell of the gunpowder will keep them away.

10. Midget

Midget Senior Member

That's interesting...I've never heard that about fire works.

11. hippin life

hippin life Member

i like a good hammock and you can always rig up a tarp over it if rain is comin

12. xdianax

xdianax Member

For those of you who said sleeping under the stars, I was curious, how do you keep the bugs and critters at bay? I would probably be paranoid that spiders might be crawling on me, or mosquitos biting me.

:) In love,

Diana

13. FeelinGroovy

FeelinGroovy opposable thumb

I prefer under the stars, but usually set up a tarp or tent as well. As the person above me stated sometimes I prefer a tent if the mosquitoes are bad, but I don't mind other insects or spiders, they usually don't bite. I also have a sleep screen, which is like a small dome tent that just covers your head and upper body and is made of mosquito net with extra loose netting to flow over your legs. I used this a lot in Africa to avoid the mosquitoes that can give you malaria. Often, I set up a tarp and use the mosquito net underneath.

I would love to be able to use a hammock but right now I can't seem to be comfortable enough in a hammock to sleep well (I don't sleep well on my back).

14. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

When I hike I usually carry my good ol' Kelty Zen tent which I usually take to fests. I rig up my tarp at fests to provide some shade and sometimes I sleep under it if the bugs aren't around.

15. Shroomism

Shroomism Member

I sleep in a hennessy explorer ultralight hammock with an extra large silnylon tarp
    [​IMG]
    Weight is 2 lbs and it has mesh sewn in to keep out the bugs.. havent gotten wet in it once yet! It's comfortable as hell to sleep in too.. no worries about rocky uneven ground or water seeping in. You can set it up in tons of places you cant set up tents, and it helps with the Leave No Trace ethic.

16. TokeTrip

TokeTrip Senior Member

I have a el-cheapo tarpaulin & hammock. The hammock is fabric, not netting, so it helps with warmth a bit. Usually I just bring a big blanket. Burning insence nearby usually helps with the bugs. We also tend to have a shelter thing with nets.

17. Primer

Primer Member

Nothing beats a ground sheet half shelter. you can make a tent for the rain and a hammock if its going to be nice.

But the best is a gortex bivi bag.

18. environmental_junkie

environmental_junkie Member

Under the stars by the camp fire.

[​IMG]

oh and thats a massive tarp behind me to keep the wind away.

19. lostdazedintime

lostdazedintime Fucked in the head

NOTHING AT ALL unless its raining.. or snowing... if its raining a tarp does the trick, itn a heavy downpour a slightly raied spot with the ground covered in pine bows with a tarp over you and your hiking buddy snuggled up beside you cant be beat in cozyness value.

20. willpower

willpower Member

earth shelters are the best unless you are only stayin for a night... and who would want to do that:(