What to tell.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by dietcoketree, Jul 3, 2006.

1. dietcoketree

dietcoketree Member

im not sure if this thread is right for this topic but it deals with how i should interact with the law so what the heck.

anyways, i just turned 17 and was dating someone 21 (so that was illegal.)
    im going to be go seeing a counsolour soon and i want to know just HOW confidential my talking will be kept. will the therepist tell my mom that im sexually active? will she be 'obligated' to get my old boyfriend in trouble? (we are no longer dating)

2. DQ Veg

DQ Veg JUSTYNA'S TIGER

Well, that's a good question, that somebody else will have to answer, since I don't know the answer to that. However, I was surprised that the age of consent in California is as high as 18-in Texas it's 17, and in many states it's 16. I thought that counselors generally kept that kind of thing confidential, but today-who knows?

3. Grim

Grim Wandering Wonderer

Well, here's a much better solution that doesn't involve potentially getting in trouble based on silly laws based around arbitrarily chosen ages.

Don't go to the therapist.

Hurray, problem solved.
    And in the case that in some manner you 'have' to, then go and simply refuse to talk about that area of your life.

4. Aristartle

Aristartle Snow Falling on Cedars Lifetime Supporter

Um. Tell your therapist the truth. They counsel drug addicts, sex addicts, child molestors, rape victims, child abusers, etc. It's not that difficult, and it's probably about time that you trust a professional who's job it isn't to charge you with some kind of meaningless offense you did in your past. Most therapists give drug addicts contacts where they can go to get free needles, etc.

Seriously - a therapist is 100% not going to call your mom or boyfriend or the police without first asking for your permission and your consent. Therapists mostly encourage you to deal with life yourself.

5. spooner

spooner is done.

14 in Canada, woo hoo (also, fuck you puritan stephen harper)

6. LickHERish

LickHERish Senior Member

Therapist or not, people are untrustworthy by nature. That which you think might possibly get someone you may still care for in trouble is noone's business but your own. Simply do not volunteer such information. Once you do, you no longer have any control whatsoever over the potential outcomes, simple as.