what the heck is a bliss ninnie?

Discussion in 'Rainbow Family' started by Professor Jumbo, May 18, 2004.

1. Professor Jumbo

Professor Jumbo Mr. Smarty Pants

So what is it, or what are they. There is a buncha lingo, apparently, for various kinds of rainbow folks most of which is rather self-explantory, but I have been unable to figure out bliss-ninnie, though I do have some ideas.

2. paix

paix Senior Member

a bliss ninnie (as I understand it) is someone who come to a gathering and doesn't do anything to help out, just kinda wanders around and digs the scene...

I stumbled on a rainbow dictionary kinda thing a bit ago, I'll post it when I find it again :)

----------> http://www.welcomehome.org/rainbow/info/glossary.html

viola :)

3. WanderingturnupII

WanderingturnupII Grouchy Old Fart

I do like Niman's book...Much of it is Right On...But I have wondered at which Alternate Dimentional Gatherings he did someof his research.

'Fuck You "A" Camp greeting used like "Hello." '
    I have spent some time around A-Camp. Drank a few beers with my bros there...but I never heard this from A-Camp until after Niman published his book, and the USFS passed out photocopies of that glossary at the Gathering. ('97 Oregon, I think it was.) Since then, it has become annoyingly commonplace. Thanks, Mike, like, A-Camp really needed to find another way to be annoying.

Anyhoo, the topic...Blissninnies, Drainbows, and Rainbozos are closely related species, terribly difficult to differintiate in the field except by the most experienced observers...sort of like your Accipiters. You will regularly find your Blissninny sitting by the trail with his glass pipe tied by a string to a stick, "fishing for nuggets". You will never see him with an ax, saw, shovel, water jug, pack full of supplies, or anything else beneficial to the common good anywhere near his hands. But the Blisninny does no harm. Rainbozos and Drainbows, on the other hand, can sometimes be seen doing useful work, but they either require high maintenance, or are otherwise, in the long run, downright harmful to the whole.

I would not worry to much about being labeled a Blissninny, if I was new Gatherings. As long as you keep your ears, eyes, and mind, open, and are busy learning things, you are doing useful work. It took me a good three years or so to really find my niche. (It was not in a kitchen. And I have not left since.) And Paix, please note that a competent, and active, guitar opperator is not a Blissninny, even if she never digs a shitter, or brings one stick of kindling into camp. And, oh, yeah...Strings. Bring lots of replacement strings. Geetarists always seem to be offline for lack of strings, and this problem will probably persist until the Family Shamans perfect the String Regeneration Crystal...

4. paix

paix Senior Member

lol, that's very good to know turnip, unfortuatley, I'm afraid I'm not too competent with the guitar, every time I play I think I should just stick to singing, lol. I'm not too sure I'm gonna bring my guitar either, unless somehow I vastly improve between now and then! I can definatly sing though, so perhaps I won't be completley useless when I'm not working in a kitchen!

if I do end up bringing my guitar, I will definatly bring a few extra packs of strings, but I think we gotta get some family working on a string repair crystal, that would be damn usefull!

5. bradleydontpush

bradleydontpush Member

Hey Paix! You can all definelty expect to see my guitar there this year. It'll be my first year but I think I will make a good addition to the 4ums camp. Hopefully there's some other musicians in the camp. Paix, you should sing for me! We can get a drum going and I can play some chords and you can let your beautiful voice fill the spice filled air! It will be excellent!

6. Professor Jumbo

Well I'm definitely going to bring my guitar, even if I have only been at it for a couple of months. I don't expect to be making any nice music on it, but I'll be looking for folks willing to teach me a thing or to. I'll bring the tin whistle for making music.

7. paix

paix Senior Member

oooh, I'll bring a kazoo!

8. BobbinBecca

BobbinBecca Member

I'll be the one with the empty 5-gallon water jug drum.

It really makes a nice sound, I swear!

Bee

9. WanderingturnupII

WanderingturnupII Grouchy Old Fart

Yup. This deffinitely ain't yer first rodeo, Bee. BTW, I play a recorder. When I get to be a rich hippie, I will play a Tenor recorder.

10. Professor Jumbo

I have a recorder but I don't know how to play it. I'll probably bring that too. I've always wanted to have a jug band, is that kind of ever happen at gatherings. If it does I'll bring a washboard

11. makno

makno Senior Member

ive herd them refered to as .....bliss bunnies....and if some busy folks who have been overworked just bliss around , but hit the majichat big time ...well we need that too!

12. eccofarmer

eccofarmer Member

NAMASTE

I think anyone who goes to a gathering and brings at least Love has brought alot.as far as Bliss ninie i have herd that only once in ten years and the person who said it had some name for everyone there.Never seen that brother in years.Funny when i read that i allmost forgot that term.
    For most who go to gatherings they bring positive vibes and love.There are some though who just come for afree ride.Luck that is not shared by many.
    My best friends i have been made at rainbow and i look forward each year to make new ones.

13. MamaTheLama

MamaTheLama Too much coffee

Oh, there are many names out there...bliss ninne ,trustafarian,custie,cat,spunion,psychic vampire,wannabe,gutter punk, drainbow, high holy, spanger, hobo, hippie, rainbow, kid, babalonian, weekend warrior, crunchy, redneck, beatnick, locals, deadhead, pot head, crackhead, tweeker, spoonie, dirty hippy,hitchhiker,slacker, tyedye havin patchoili wearin non shaving, no deoderant using,mold growin, headlice n scabie itchin, patchy clothed non-job havin freak.
    I know I've missed a few hundred.:D ...and that I've probably had about a dozen of those names myself at one point or another. Especially the Babalonian 'cause baby, I love my satellite TV and indoor plumbing.

14. bradleydontpush

bradleydontpush Member

Well obviously there's a word for everybody, if there is that many names. Actually I'm sure many folks could share 9 different nicknames. I think the important thing is that people actually go and share their love. Alot of people I would think would take offense to being labeled as a "drainbow" or a "bliss ninnie" because they probably are not aware they are doing anything wrong. I just hope this year that I don't get some label or something, I just like being me.

15. paix

paix Senior Member

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

don't you love that we're so open minded that we make up names for everyone? :D

"tyedye havin patchoili wearin non shaving, no deoderant using,mold growin, headlice n scabie itchin, patchy clothed non-job havin freak." <------this one is my absolute favorite :D

16. bradleydontpush

bradleydontpush Member

wow paix, you just pretty much defined me to a key, except the non job havin part, or did you say that? I don't know. Paix, I think I'm gonna fall in love with you when I meet you, just be aware of that..:p

17. MamaTheLama

MamaTheLama Too much coffee

If they try just stick yer tounge out and say "i know you are but what am I?" repatatively ;)

18. bradleydontpush

bradleydontpush Member

I was planning on doing something along those lines, or maybe "I'm rubber your glue" yeah, I'll show 'em!

19. Spore Radical

Spore Radical Member

i know you are but what am i?

20. paix

paix Senior Member

there's always "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" but that's totaly untrue...

I guess if you just pull your own load and are willing to work and are kynd you'll be safe :p