What should EVERYONE know how to make ?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Duncan, Jan 8, 2022.

1. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Tough question, huh? Sometimes I think about a hypothetical question such as that. Is there a single vegetarian dish that everyone should at least know how to make?

Things that come to my mind are
    TVP balls
    Tofu scramble
    Stir fry with tofu (mushrooms, sprouts, leafy greens)
    Spaghetti and _fill in the blank_
    Rice and _fill in the blank_
    Meatless bean soup
    Meatless beet soup
    Lentil loaf
    Tabolui

The possibilities are kind of limitless. I think some folks are turned off with vegetarian living because they are either uncreative in the kitchen, don't like that meals take too long to prepare, don't like that the meals lack the flavor that they might expect, or feel unsatisfied with the finished product.

I have made pretty much everything on the list. Some of the items are fairly easy, but require time or pre-planning. I don't use canned beans so soaking beans are in my home about once or twice a week. I also cook in smaller quantities so a half cup of rice usually lasts me for the week.

2. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

When I think of vegetarianism I also think of weight loss. It shouldn't be that way because I have known many vegetarians who have shoved cr*p into their faces. Potato chips and cola are meatless and not particularly healthy choices. But when I do go to the effort of making dishes that offer significant nutrition, they generally last for more than one meal and are usually not that difficult to put together.
    I also don't subscribe to making things hot and spicy. My bean dishes are generally on the bland side so that they can be converted into something else in which they pick up the spice or flavor of that dish.