What overly common grammatical errors make you want to tear your hair out the most?

Discussion in 'Writers Forum' started by purplemoonbeams, May 3, 2005.

1. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

There was a famous heroin addict who moved to India to afford his habit, and wrote thousands of pages about how "The Banana" explains life, the universe, and everything. That was before reality TV. Most people are lucky if they know how to properly use English according to widespread conventions, while asking them to actually be reasonable is just insane when they can't even use a dictionary half the time. I literally feel like I have to treat adults like children and stray pets, because they refuse to share their words and play nice.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  2. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Talking about India.
    Back in the 1970's, I had a letter from British Rail after a train was wrongly posted on the destination board and took me 40 miles beyond my station.

The letter, written on a strip or torn off newspaper read,... "I am sorry that you were over-carried. I will do everything in my power to make sure that it happens again".
    It was posted from the British Rail public relations office in India.

3. wooleeheron

LOL, I literally cannot read some foreign languages and cannot even look at their text, because it screws up my logic. Every language is biased towards some sort of metaphysics, and my logic has to compensate for dualistic English metaphysics. Metaphysics can be considered a Three Stooges discipline that insists what I say once, twice, three times is true.

It still sort of weirds me out, but I can skim dozens of pages of physics text I know nothing about, without reading a word, and point out exactly where they make logic errors and assumptions, just by the shapes of the paragraphs. I can even tell a fair amount about the author. Grammar requires fuzzy logic, which one of the two English language grammars rejects, so I had to invent my own lexicon that could express causal metaphysics 83% of the time, if you stretch your imagination a little. Without heart, even logic is nothing more than Three Stooges slapstick.

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

This!

WritersPanic and Deidre like this.
  5. wooleeheron

They all sound alike and look alike, precisely because any errors they produce are easily corrected. There are only so many sounds and different shapes for letters that are practical to use, so how a language compensates for errors is every bit as important as how it produces results. The "Th" sound is more common, because its harder to fuck it up. In other words, the problem exists for the same reason that you find it irritating, because people are attempting to compensate for their fuck ups. Chinese have what can be thought of as a pseudo alphabet of roughly 350,000 letters, but they all express a recursive logic. Their logic and geometry are more like the world around us, never separating the context and its contents.

6. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

No grammar error could ever make me want to tear out my beautiful dark brown hair. But i do get annoyed with run-on sentences. Especially if it continues to run-on through an entire paragraph. Long posts or writings without separating them into paragraphs are also highly annoying. Likely that i won't bother to read it.

7. wooleeheron

I had a professional physicist once show me his theory, with one paragraph that had no less than 26 sentences. Rambling is just plain rambling.

8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

You're a looser

WritersPanic likes this.
  9. wooleeheron

And you are so intelligent and caring you take the time to talk to me.

10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Nah I'm talking to you, I'm replying to the OP. :)

That's not how you spell loser, yet, most people on social media think it is.

WritersPanic likes this.
  11. wooleeheron

I didn't want to hurt your feelings.

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I mean.. I'm not talking to you** I'm replying to the OP. :)

That's not how you spell loser, yet, most people on social media think it is.

13. wooleeheron

The internet is about as social as cockroaches mating.

14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

It's what you make out of it.
    Personally I've lost a ton of interest the last year or so, not so much on social media but just the internet. I still social media because it's how we run our race leagues.

15. wooleeheron

Divorces go up and down with the stock market, while the white population is crashing the more money they make and the more social media they use. Calling it social media is like calling a competitive video game shooter "cooperative". Its a way for people to pretend to be social, because they don't know how to share their words and play nice. The number of moderators I know for online websites all agree, people are complete idiots, at least, online.

16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Well, in terms of our leagues, it's media with online broadcast coverage.

So media.

I've also met several people now from the media in real life and continue to do so. Your argument is invalid.

17. wooleeheron

People are walking right off cliffs, attempting to be social with their fucking cellphones. That doesn't mean the mass media is to blame, it means people are insane. Thankfully, the mass media is investing in VR and AI to replace all the actors, writers, etc. Soon enough, nobody will be able to tell if they are actually talking to a human being. Then they can claim to be social with machines.

18. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Pretty much just walls of text on here.

I figure most people conversate in a fairly casual manner and probably utilize word predict, auto-correct, so on and so forth. Also, I have found it much more difficult to post from my phone as opposed to a PC, so I tend to abridge my thoughts when posting on mobile and am probably more prone to grammar mistakes. Recognizing this, I often extend the benefit of the doubt to others.

I tend to be more peeved by logical errors, fallacies and errors in reasoning.

19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Lol

OK woo

20. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon