What new subject do you think should be taught at school?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by redyelruc, Jan 25, 2009.

1. BunnySuit

BunnySuit Senior Member

I think most subjects are useful.

I would like to see more government classes. Right now as a senior this is the only time that I can actually call myself a citizen. I'm in the most difficult class my school offers, so I know that 95% of the kids will never have this opportunity. I think government needs to be taught from an early age, and I would also like to see something offered teaching the governments of other countries.

Once I was forced to take a synthesizer class that I could have done without.

2. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Math is by far one of the most practical and most important subjects taught in school. It teaches people how to think logically and analytically.

A good extra dash of logic could solve a whole lot of problems these days.

3. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

Indeed... retrain the species to not rely on the infrastructure for survival.

4. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

I thought about the learning-to-think-logically part. And I don't know if math would be the only/best subject to learn how to do that - I do believe learning how to think logically is important though. Maybe but just still math but a different kinda of math - not like equations and stuff.. or I'm trying to think if there could be any other subject/practice that could replace that and do the same thing for you that would be completely unrelated to math..

5. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

It would be hard to find something that replaces math. Math is as simple and basic as it gets. Pretty much the building blocks of logic.

6. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

I guess.. I was thinking about pattern recognition and the sort of stuff you find in IQ tests like completing sentences - that sort of stuff but I suppose even that's technically math.. dunno if anything like geometry of space is of any use unless you wanna become an astronomer or something - but then again I don't know if they teach geometry of space in every middle school of the world! Actually when did I have to take that.. I was 14, in France.. that would be high-school in the U.S.

7. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

more economics and more Phys. Ed

8. zilla939

zilla939 Thought Police Lifetime Supporter

exactly!

suck it up, it's good for you.

9. zilla939

zilla939 Thought Police Lifetime Supporter

i took it my freshman year of HS. got a 97. i actually liked proofs, you couldn't get anything wrong!

10. junglejack

junglejack aiko aiko

They should get rid of some of the more useless life skills classes (I don't know what they are teaching anymore- you younger people do)
    But I do know the future in alternative energies , like solar and wind should be at the forefront .
    The technologies of new energy sources will employ many and the education cant start soon enough

11. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

sociology should be added, as well as basic mechanical skills, Automobile maintenance and care, economics, and pot farming.

Take out Science. Science is for fags

12. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

Contemporary theories on life and evolution.

Holistic science.

Growing vegetables.

13. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

They should teach kids manners these days.

14. HippyLandscaper

HippyLandscaper learning a new way

I think that they should teach the truth, and drop the shit

15. themnax

themnax Senior Member

whole systems engineering. at the highschool freshman level.

integrating technology compatibly and harmoniously with nature's cycles of renewal.

managing infrastructure for environmental sustainability.

comparative environmental impact of transportation systems

comparative environmental impact of energy systems.

xenobotany. xenopology. artecnicism. artology.

integrated life systems management.

guideway based transportation tecnology.

alternative building construction.

rapid prototyping shop.

ufo maintainence and repair.

nonhuman sociology.

alien folk music.

16. RandomOne

RandomOne Member

I hate to derail the thread but since I am accused of proving the other guy's point.

I think instead he proved my point, because though there was a perceived "grammatical error" in my post, and despite my lack knowledge of the "mechanics of english," he was still able to fully understand what I was trying to say. Isn't that the goal of communicating in any language? You don't need to be a mechanic to drive a car. Just like you don't need to know physics to walk.

There is socially and physically learned knowledge, and there is academically learned knowledge. The difference is that the socially and physically learned knowledge is more relevant and useful in every day life.

17. RandomOne

RandomOne Member

I love you.

18. themnax

themnax Senior Member

imagination apparently, from the lack of it around here.

19. HippyLandscaper

HippyLandscaper learning a new way

Mankind doesn't need imagination any more, we have technology now.

20. TheGanjaKing

TheGanjaKing Newbie

I think they should drop any personal hygiene classes offered, cuz high school kids are the dirtiest fuckers on this planet. The classes obviously don't work.

How about a sex-ed class that actually teaches girls how to have sex. That way I'm not wasting precious hours trying to teach some dumb bitch how to fuck