What musical legend...

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by *MAMA*, Jul 17, 2013.

1. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

I just watched that on Netflix the other day. I thought it was pretty good. I'm into reggae, so I was interested to see his transformation. He did a pretty good job covering some classic reggae tunes.

Definitely. :)

2. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

[​IMG]

This one...but she's a little older now.

3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Willie Nelson. He's not neccessarily the best or most fascinating of my favorite musicians, but he's the one I would like the most to know personally. He just seems cool as hell and his voice gives me chills

4. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Hardly a music legend. She was quite pretty in her day, though. Papa John was nailing dat ass, and that other dork was left to bang Mama Cass.

5. Pokerguy

Pokerguy Member

The best Harry Chapin song you never heard.

Starts out giving advice to a young, just starting out singer-songwriter, then gets introspective about the responsibilities of being an successful artist

<b>...
    His face a blemish garden -- but his eyes are virgin clear
    His voice is Chicken Little's -- But he's hearing Paul Revere</b>

It's a long rambling tune, but the first 3 minutes are worth a listen.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_MI6HSICrE8?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. magic_rocks

magic_rocks ٱللهِ ٱلرّ

I admire and look up to way too many artists to name a single person, but I can narrow it down to a few; I do not idolize anybody however, and the two people I come the closest to regarding as mythical and heroic (the ancient Greek historian Herodotus and the modern rhapsode Terence Mckenna) I find my world view occasionally to stand in stark contrast with.

As for my overall favorite artists, they would be Harald Großkopf (the guy in my signature), Manuel Göttsching, Jean-Pierre Massiera, Don Cherry, Dollar Brand, Steve Howe, Brian Eno, Ralf und Florian (aka Kraftwerk), Software (aka Peter Mergener and Michael Weisser), Robert Schröder, and last but most definitely not least the Swedish dj / disco producer Albion Venables, who continues to this day to release the most mind blowing obscure space disco songs no one besides him had ever heard.

Here is Manuel Göttsching entirely on his own:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkN6wuHPJl8"]Ashra - 77 Slightly Delayed - YouTube

And here he is with Großkopf on drums:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XEL0m_CM7A"]Ashra - Bamboo Sands - YouTube

The reasons why I have such great respect for Großkopf and Göttsching are numerous but mainly it is because they represent the exact unfolding interests in form that I've progressed through over the years, because in the beginning, if you listen to any of the first 5 or so of Ashra Tempel's albums (several of which also feature Großkopf, and if you go back early enough, Klaus Schulze as well) they are among the most famous representations of the earliest of krautrock's most psychedelic and experimental 'electronic' music, and as they years went by they moved on through Berlin School into extremely esoteric ambient stuff and then, with the release of Correlations (and slightly foreshadowed with Blackouts) they went 'disco', but they did it in a unique and still entirely 'krautrock' way, and at a time when it was perfect to do so with the then newly emerging computers and enhanced synthesizers. Then of course, you have Göttsching's final "big" album of the decade, 1984's E2-E4 the first "house" album in history, the true birth of electronic music where Kraftwerk's "Radioactivity" met Afrika Bambaataa in the form of an hour long extended instrumental remix, which in fact was recorded in 1981 and took over 3 years to find someone willing to release it. A part of music history that everyone with even a passing interest in electronic music should know, and sadly most don't.

7. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

John Martyn.I read his biography "Some People Are Crazy".I want to get an Echoplex