what makes you think someone could be gay?

Discussion in 'Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Trans, etc.' started by psyche, May 20, 2004.

1. Legend

Legend Member

Its Pretty Easy To Pick Gays And Lesbians, But I Can Never Ever Pick A Person That Is Bi-Sexual... Never!!!

2. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Member

Or have seen the BROS magazine when it was published. Both are full of longhaired hippies, bikers, truck drivers. In the yahoo newsgroup you are strongly discouraged from joining if you aren't a Gay or Bi longhaired male. Many of the group have shaggy beards. Just as many are proud of their messy hair. Sure all of the above are a minority when it comes to GB folks but it just goes to show you that you can't go by looks.

3. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Member

The last guy I spent the nbight with looked & acted very masculine. Spoke in masculine tones dressed like a hunter. If I hadn't met him in a gay bar & he hadn't came up to me there I may not think he was gay at all.

4. Jonny6

Jonny6 Member

I've been in the business a while and my gaydar is accurate as long as I'm getting a vibe. It tends to say either gay, straight, unable to determine, or need more information. Most of the time it gives 'unable to determine' but when I get a gay or straight, it never fails. It wasn't always like this. I think that you need to hang around with people you know are gay. Then you notice the very subtle mannerism many gay people have. This isn't shoes or clothes or how often they take a shower. This is the way you sit down or grab a piece of paper. Arbitrary motions yield answers. This isn't the flick of the wrist or 'sits down like a woman' thing. It's much more subtle than that. Thinks you will learn only if you hang around with other gay people.

5. barefoot_boy

barefoot_boy Member

People thought I was gay because I wear bellbottoms.They alwaysdid anyway even before I even went with a guy.I think I have good gaydar though.
    Lesbian woman(Not bi) always dress sort of guyish.Gay men have a certain
    look in there eyes if they find you attractive.

6. dhs

dhs Senior Member

when I'm at a public urinal and the guy relieving himself next to me, turns to me and says, 'Nice watch'

7. barefoot_boy

barefoot_boy Member

Somehow though i never found washrooms a sexy place to meet a
    guy.I prefer a club or a party.

8. rocknroll_girl

rocknroll_girl Member

I completely agree...I'm better at it with gay men simply because I know more personally and closely. A certain way of sighing, glancing down, or a particular facial expression - not feminine in the least, simply different.

With dykes if I'm right on the money, I'm right. It's less of an observatopm process. From the few lesbians I hang around I'm picked up such an innate ability to notice those subtle mannerisms: sharper, more defined movements, quicker hand motions, a fixed gaze. But like you said, Johnny, I often get an "unable to determine" signal.

9. psyche

psyche fun for the whole family

also dykes tend to have shorter nails. reminds me of that joke i once heard.

what do you call a lesbian with long finger nails?

single!! harrr

10. Sus

Sus Hip Forums Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I have been so wrong a couple of times when thinking a woman was gay...short hair, jeans, cargo shorts, the whole bit (even rainbow jewelry at times), has failed me, not most of the time, but sometimes. One lady who i though for sure was gay was even married to a man and had 3 kids!! Oh well...

As for me, I'm kinda fem, and I don't figure that women automatically think of me as gay. I like having longer hair, etc., and don't want to fit into any stereotypes, but unless someone has really good gaydar, or knows me personally, I don't think they get me for gay.... I wish sometimes that it were more obvious, especially when I'm around someone I like, but I'm not so sure of their status.

11. teepi

teepi living my dream

I too am "straight looking" and while most would never consider me bi...I do.

Although I am not at all interested in being with anyone other than my husband, I take my vows extremly serious at this time because it would hurt him if I were to be with anyone else and he just does it all for me anywise.

If anything happened to him I would go back to my total lesbian ways.
    Before I found him again I was totally in the family and was very comfortable with it, I would want to find a good woman to come live in the woods with me and share what I have here.

Anyway, I am I guess what you might consider a "fem" and for years I wore a tiny little hoop earring with extremely small rainbow colored beads on it.
    It was so subtle but anyone who knew, what the hell...could pick up on it.

Alot of times i was surprised at the beautiful totally "straight" looking women who would comment they "liked" my earring...

That little earring provided me with some good fun and good friends,

teepi

12. Metatron

Metatron Member

Nobody has ever thought that I was anything but straight. However, I'm very bi. But I just dress in jeans and a plain-shirt. I kinda look like Andrew WK without the long greasy hair. I don't talk effeminate. Most of my friends are men. I like working on cars. I listen to grindmetal and punk rock. So there you go, you can't really tell anymore. All stereotypes can go out the window.

13. schmokes

schmokes Member

in girls, i tend to look for the muscular arms and masculine tattos. and the flannel shirts and mullets have always been a dead give away, but that's just me.

in guys, it pretty much comes down to how styled and prim they look, or how thick their san fransico accent is. you know the type.

this is all, of course, a joke. my gaydar is hardly accurate, but i dont really tend to wonder if people are or not, unless it's really obvious.

14. butterfly

butterfly Member

Hey maybe that's it! You just don't feel at all threatened by gay men!

Gay or bi women....I those tend to be the more alternative looking ones. The ones with many colours in their hair, or often red hair (willow style). White vests.... y'know.

But yeah, I look too "straight" too apparently....damnit, no wonder I hardly ever, well pretty much never, pick up women.

15. barefoot_boy

barefoot_boy Member

Go to the drag shows.Get to know the gay men who go to them.Go to they're
    parties,dance clubs whatever.Your gaydar will pickup sure enough.
    I've never been into "Truck-stop" gay bars,and my gaydar is fine.

16. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

For a dude...I ask him if he needs his nails cut or trimmed. If he holds his hand out to inspect his nails...there's a good chance he's harbouring same sex tendencies.

For a chic I comment on a sexy lady passing by. If she's grossed out...chances are she's not a lesbian.

Or...in most cases I just ask.

17. Disarray

Disarray Member

Haaaa, well I bite my fingernails! *pouts*

I don't know. I guess if I get a vibe, like one time I was coming home from the mall and this cute girl walked by me; the word "gay" like flashed in front of my eyes in red, and then she said hi to me. I said hi back, I'm really shy so I just kept walking. Also one time I went to a titty bar. And some of the girls gave me exceptional dances, even better than they did to their male patrons. The straight ones would walk by me, or the ones that paid me any mind would do shitty dances.

Then there's the boys from the hair academy across the street from the restuarant I work at. It's just a hunch, haha. Also one of them has like perfect hair, and a group of female friends.

18. Sonnyboy

Sonnyboy Member

Gaydar is totally unreliable. I've seen some extremely feminine guys who were married or had girlfriends, and I've seen some butch guys who were gay. I've also met lesbians with long hair and makeup, and straight women with mullets and flannel shirts.

Unless you plan on getting it on with a gay person, why does it matter? Shit, if it comes down to that, your best bet would be to simply ask them. Sitting around wondering if someone's gay or not is a waste of time.

19. Casey

Casey Member

This is something that my friends and I talk about a lot. I think the gaydar thing is hard to explain. Its like your walking down a busy high street and there are lots of people walking past and you and this other person will just glance at each other and know and its not a flirty thing its more that you are acknowledging each other as gay. I don’t look gay but I think that’s why I can tell when non-stereotypical people are gay just at a glance. Sometimes I see really butch looking women and I know they aren’t gay and I can tell gay guys a mile away. I've never been into the whole gay scene thing. I'm never unsure except when I’m attracted to someone probably because there's more of a risk involved. Straight women with bf's who are bi are easy to spot as well. I really don’t know how the gay dar works I think it picks up on subconscious signals between people. But by far the easiest way to tell is to flirt when you are both in a comfortable state. Nothing heavy just in a bit more than friends sort of way and if they respond then you have a better idea. Most people will be flattered even if they aren’t interested so its pretty full proof. It would all be very simple to just ask if someone is gay but unfortunately not everyone is comfortable enough with themselves or new people to admit what they are straight away.

20. Bound96

Bound96 Member

Asking somone if their gay is extremely unreliable for several reasons:

1.) The person could be lying to protect themselves
    2.) The person could be lying because they see YOU as a threat
    3.) The person could give you an answer that is false just to have you reveal your sexuality
    4.) You might not feel comfortable asking them for fear you will be discovered

Please take into account that all of this would be going on in a public environment such as a classroom or workplace. These reasons may not be entirely true but I find them to be the most probable causes. :) O and I know this because I myself am gay. :D