What makes a protest socially and morally positive?

Discussion in 'Protest' started by granite45, Feb 20, 2022.

1. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Growing up in the 60s we had protests demanding positive change…Stop the war, racial equality, prevent environmental destruction, feminist power etc, but protests can pursue more negative objectives also…..white supremacy, book banning, racial inequality, predatory capitalism, anti-vaccination and anti-science, voter suppression. An historical example was Kristallnact. How do support the positive and discourage the negative?

scratcho and Idlewild like this.
  2. myndtyme

myndtyme Banned

There is no formula....all protests are legit both socially and morally.

3. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

A Klan rally is anything but socially and morally legit.

Idlewild likes this.
  4. myndtyme

myndtyme Banned

The KKK do NOT protest ...they acknowledge the Power that be.

granite45 likes this.
  5. newo

The Klan protest integration and immigration with indignation. Their message is hatred and they are socially and morally bankrupt.

scratcho likes this.
  6. myndtyme

myndtyme Banned

That is NOT protesting, that is manifesting hate propaganda.

7. newo

Let's agree to disagree. Anyway, a protest in favor of discrimination, exploitation and just plain hatred is not legit.

How to support the positive and discourage the negative? Join the positive protests and counter-protest the negative ones.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2023
    granite45 and myndtyme like this.
  8. myndtyme

myndtyme Banned

Fair enuff.

9. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

It's an individual judgement call. I reckon if one is disposed to protest whatever he / she feels strongly about / against , their value in doing so will seem personally morally correct.

10. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I support protest, but I want to be clear that I don't think it is as functional as lobbying for change. Protest is a vehicle of expression. That is something I can be proponent about! I think having a voice, and knowing and feeling that you have a strong voice and that you are being heard is very important!

What's especially important is that your protest does not go to waste. Are you saying something that leadership can listen to?

I think often with protest we risk appearing unapologetically juvenile, destructive, uninformed, and simply rebellious. How can we be heard if we resemble something that every parent on the planet can inadvertently see as a teenager throwing a tantrum because we won't let them go to a birthday party?

We have to find a way to appeal to leaders diplomatically. If we are asking for their help, and then doxxing them in the same breath what do we expect to happen?

Our tactic needs adjustment, because what we need to change is vastly more important than status quo, and than tradition of silence. What needs to happen? Tell us! We care what you think, and we know your voice is one to be listened to!

We have to find our voice to be heard in earnest in opposition to something that doesn't make sense! What shall we do if our leadership is where there are uncomfortable and incongruent parallels?

I absolutely stand in concert with protest, but I want to be heard and not ignored or mischaracterized and misunderstood.

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

When people start throwing up barricades, look around you.
    If you've got Brownshirts to port and Klansmen to starboard,
    YOU'RE ON THE WRONG GODDAMNED SIDE!

candle.jpg

12. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Brown shirts and Klansmen aside,

Do you think protest is the solution?

I believe in peace and harmony, and mostly I think a lot of protests are one-sided, a little like the fight between the Israelis and the Palestinians; extreme conservatives on either side will insist one cannot exist without the other.

The Klu Klux Klan and the Brown... Can they not co-exist?

With as much information as both sides have in today's modern era, I don't understand why either continues to be relevant.

13. newo