What makes a person a hippie??

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by gjaniet, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Loveminx

Loveminx Sports Racer

hippies grow on trees...

2. alektrahippie

alektrahippie Member

I never reaslised i was a hippie until i reached college. all of a sudden everone just started calling me that. Its strange because ive been this way my entire life.
    hippie isnt a fashion statement, its a frame of mind. a way of life.
    you just ARE hippie because thats the way you are.

3. meteorlima

meteorlima Member

The hippie movement was born & died in San Francisco in the 60s, I was there. Misguided idealism and expectations led to its downfall that brought on homeless people from disbanded communes, hard drugs, crime..etc. The Rolling Stones deadly concert at Altamont put final nail in coffin of the hippie movement not to mention the ODs of Jimi & Janis that just piled on. The hippies even held a mock funeral for the "then" dead movement. Hippie is dead except for a few throwbacks still around today. (great idea peace & love but hard drugs,hustlers,pimps,criminals...etc changed all that). FYI> The "beatnik" phase predates the hippie movement by about 10 years,then came hipsters who morphed into hippies,then much later yuppies, Utopia was beyond the hippies reach. Whats next?????? Will the new generation make hippie work this time? Good Luck :alien:

4. sohip19

sohip19 Member

love everyone and everything

forgive and forget

look at a PERSONs PERSONality...not their race, religion, sex, or size

accept everyone equally

dont judge

things like that

hippie stands for Highly Intelligent Person Persuing Individual Enlightenment

5. meteorlima

meteorlima Member

Does all that love,forgiveness,and acceptance include terrorists?

6. The_Walrus

The_Walrus Sgt. Pepper

To me, the general gist of being a hippie is just appreciating things. You don't have to be a liberal, you don't have to do drugs, you don't have to protest, you don't have to get into classic rock, etc. These days I'd have to say being a hippie is just...learning to appreciate all things - things of nature, people, art, science, history, those before us, etc.

I don't really believe in having 'requirements' in order to be 'be' a hippie or anything... Just appreciation.

7. Lady Neko

Lady Neko Member

i agree with you. trying not to go into too much personal detail but i just recently "woke up" to life and started finding the good qualities. its a wonderful feeling. i do not even dress up in skirts or anything. just jeans and t-shirts. i am comfortable that way. but back on topic i see how great it is really to be alive and meet nice people. i try to be kind. i am still human though. i am more eco-friendly more than ever now. i do have political ideologies against our current leaders in governement and i dig the music of the beatles and such. but sadly i do not have time to protest or anything like that. i am married with a tough time schedule but i still feel everything at heart. that what it is for me.

8. Freekowtski

Freekowtski Member

Being a hippy is a question of accepting a universal system of beliefs that transcienden the social, political and moral procedure of any established structure, whether it is a class, church, or government, he wants not to be controlled, to raise on the mean differences of the conflicts generated by these deep-rooted institutions. Antithetical for nature to the hierarchies of social alone control looks for the peace, the love and the freedom.

Left to any revolution opposite to their principles, they rejected for love of their ideology, the struggle of power; they change the world living as they believe with Love, revulsive of violence. Nevertheless, freedom also forms a part of their idiosyncrasy, to be left to go, to be left to love, not to stop the flow of the life and this way the maximum thing to learn. Love to the nature, Gaia, to the others, to preach with the example.

(I know this definition is more generalistic, but I share some things of it...). I agree with soaringeagle's point as well.

9. Freekowtski

Freekowtski Member

transcend, sorry, my translator is very weird...

10. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

your heart is what makes you a hippie..........

11. Maanling

Maanling Member

Hmm.. this is a difficult question. People often ask me; what is a gothic? (because I can always tell when some one is gothic, or emo, stuff like that) and I have no idea how to answer that.
    I guess what makes me a hippie, is my religion, which is never occupied with violence, war, or things like that (That makes me a buddhist). I am really in for respect between religions and different races (which is really playing here in Holland). I love to love, hate to hate. Peace to the world and the universe.
    Anyway, I think being a hippy is overall shown by clothes. If people see me walking down the street, they probably think she's a hippie. Or maybe Alto, but the difference in clothes isn't much. My clothes aren't anything special, mostly jeans, shirt, a lot of bracelets. Sometimes a flower in my hair. But it's the little accersoires ( is that correct english? :p) that make it all hippie/alto like.

Space out!

12. rainbowedskylover

rainbowedskylover Senior Member

yeah man so true

13. sitareric

sitareric Banned

You gotta be patient. Also stare blankley than go "what just happened"

14. sohip19

sohip19 Member

its up to you man...i cant tell everyone who to forgive..i personally dont think its right to kill and terrorize people but theyll get whats comin to them whether its in this life or another..some people are open minded enough to forgive them..i cant say that im one personally..its like ben harper so beautifully put it..if your causin no harm then your alright with me

15. Radicalicious

Radicalicious Member

Jesus: The ultimate hippie.

Seriously though, ideals based upon love, equality, peace, and so on are things that jump out to me when I think of hippies. And music festivals, but that has nothing to do with it.

16. Hajni

Hajni Member

PEACE, FLOWERS:daisy:

FREEDOM, HAPPINESS :sunny:

17. meteorlima

meteorlima Member

I couldn't agree more. Why would anyone want to exume the hippie movement? It's been dead for years for a good reason> IT FAILED MISERABLY, don't get me wrong love and peace is a wonderful goal but the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Just smoke you buds,be nice to people,live healthy, do your part for the environment and don't make a "hippie" fool of yourself.

18. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

well, what defines hip? A hippie has hip ideals. who defines what hip ideals are?

19. praying4peace

praying4peace Member

hippie is a frame of mind i think.
    an outlook on life. you dont have to dress just to be a hippie.
    being called one even though you dont look like one.
    thats when you truely know your a hippie.

20. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

the answer was hippies.....sigh